Why did you stop?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Queeg2000, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

We seem to get a lot of posts in the introduction section from people who are returning to playing, far more than we get from beginners.

I had a 30 year break and most of our back row have had long breaks.

Just curious as to a) Why people stopped in the first instance and b) how they came back.

I stopped playing in the 80s, and without going into details, I was in my teens and the 80s were a time when Saville and Harris were household names. I didn't want to stop playing as I still loved the playing, but circumstance dictated otherwise.

I came back because my son started playing in a youth band, I filled in occasionally if they were short on numbers, then got asked to help the main band over Christmas and before I knew it they had me signed up.

2. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

I had 10 years out. Originally a cornet player, I reinvented myself on Euph but then started going out with a non-bander and moved away from the bands that I knew and didnt really go back - I had a half hearted attempt when that relationship ended, but my old band didnt have a spare seat or instrument and there wasnt anything else I fancied doing at the time. So the break became longer

I then started going out with my current wife (we'd met years ago through banding) but both of us were quite busy and never had the time - then kids came along. It wasnt until we were both invited to play at the funeral of one of our ex-band colleagues parents that we had the chance - I couldnt make it but the missus could. One Euph was delivered to our house on loan from the local band and our (then) 4 year old son came down next morning and wanted to know what it was. We unboxed it, told him how to make a sound and he blew a perfect - solid - bottom C. We asked him if he'd like to learn to play one - to which he said he would - so we joined the local band's training band. Within 12 months I was playing with the senior band, with the missus following very shortly afterwards. And the rest was history (now 6 years ago)

3. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I stopped playing in the late 70's, went to Uni as a mature student. I now know that there were brass bands near my Uni but I had no clue then. Marriage and kids got priority after that and I was eventually persuaded to try again in 2001 and have been with the same band ever since. Arthritis is making itself known these days (along with tinnitus as mentioned in another post) but I'll keep going - I get so much more out of playing these days than I did back in the '70s.

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  4. Euphonium Lite

And me. I didnt realise how much I was missing band until I went back, and Im doing more banding now than any time since my Salford days - most weeks Im out 4 nights (the missus and my son are out 3, and my youngest daughter out 2, so its something we do as a family now)

5. GER

GER Active Member

I stopped playing in the late 90's, basically had a fall out with one of the bands I played with and the conductor of the other band I played with died suddenly, we were really good friends and I couldn't face going back, months stretched into years, then my grandson asked me to show him an old cornet I have, which was just before Christmas 2016. We had an hour of fun, I decided it might be fun to play a few carols at xmas, realised how much I missed and re-joined a band middle of January 2017. Only play with one band now, but can't resist if someone rings wanting a 'dep'

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  6. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I always missed playing, but Christmas was the time I particularly enjoyed playing and particularly missed playing. A couple of years I asked if I could play with my old band at Christmas time, only to end up with an injury two Christmases running and needing stitches one year in my hand the next year in my finger, rendering it impossible to play.

When my current band were looking for help last Christmas and I had two fully functioning hands, I jumped at the opportunity, having been convinced by then I would never play again.

Christmas always appeared to be like Marmite to bandsmen and women. You either love it or hate it. I have fond memories of most of the band making excuses and ended up being part of a duet at Christmas on the High Street, struggling to play solo cornet which was pretty much beyond my abilty. Even last year after a long break, an hour into my first session, my lip felt as though it had been through a mincer, but I was the only one who didn't take a break as I was enjoying it so much. Can't wait until December!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    GER and Euphonium Lite like this.
  7. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I had most of 4-5 years off, ending about 5 years ago.

In short, I only wanted to play sop (not Bb) and there wasn't anywhere I could get to at the time with a vacancy... So I "waited" for one, which obviously wound up with me being out of the loop and other interests taking up time and banding being forgotten for a while.

Fast forward to mid December 2013 and I got a speculative phone call asking if I'd be willing to play sop at the 2014 areas (2nd section) and beyond, after warning that I'd be rusty for a while, the rest is history.

Looking back on it, I should've just played Bb for a while, but there's no sense regretting it now - just have to try to avoid making that mistake again. :)

8. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I certainly found that the more time passed the less likely it seemed that I would ever get back. I was surprised at just how quickly I got up to speed. My lip took a few weeks, my confidence took a lot longer, only just getting that back now.

For a while, my brain kept turning my tongue off while it double checked my fingers. Took a long time before my brain had confidence in my fingers again. Spent a while on fast sections playing the right valves, but by the time my brain had double checked my fingers and told my tongue to go, my fingers were onto the next note. It was only by playing the parts dead slow I could get my head to start trusting my fingers again.

9. GER

GER Active Member

One of my major problems, and like you only beginning to get on top of it now. Just been asked to go to a 2nd section band 'for a blow' (currently playing with a 4th section band) and the only thing stopping me is me :):)

10. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

My breakthrough came when or MD put me on the spot in practice, not sure if he was being inspired or cruel, but we were both surprised when I played it correctly and in tune.

11. GER

GER Active Member

I had a massive boost in this years area's, when 4bars rest commentator singled me out for good playing in the second movement of 'World tour', I was playing third man down, so thought it a massive compliment. I also had massive help from a contributor to this forum. But then took a bit of a knock over summer, when I went through a period when felt making no progress, but things are a lot better now

12. Euphonium Lite

Glad things are improving. Playing in the lower sections there will be times that you play well and times when you wont - actually even in the higher sections this happens quite a lot too. Playing is probably 60-70% in your head, and anything which causes a lack of concentration, or pulls you our of your comfort zone can easily have a negative effect

Always try and remember things and times when you play well, even when you're not, and there is usually a positive to be found somewhere

13. Ron Lander

Ron Lander Member

I stopped playing after purchasing my discharge from the Army. I left to go to full time college education and did not have the time or inclination to continue playing. In any case I had no interest in playing at mayors garden parties and such-like. This was back in about 1977. Also a trumpet player by the name of Alex Melampre (spelling may be wrong) made a recording of Superstar with the Max Gregor orchestra. This is still the most amazing recording of trumpet virtuosity I have ecer heard. Shame he made so few recordings though. Anyways it was obvious I would never be able to play like him so why bother? You can find the recording on Amazon music on a Max Gregor album if you would like to hear it.

Forwards to this May and I got my first production run Sovereign cornet out of its case for a blow. Decided to give it a few weeks practise to see how I got on. Forwards to today and have joined a brass band, Did my first concert on Saturday and a memorial service on Sunday. Two rehersals this week before a contest this coming Sunday.

Hoping after Christmas to get back onto sop cornet. I tried too soon early on and rapidly exhausted myself. Intention is to play Sop at a contest next March.

This would be a good time to publicly thank Tom King for the help he has provided me on the threads and private messages here. Much appreciated.

Totally different topic but just found a book every brass player should give a serious read _ Trumpet technique by Frank Gabriel Campos.

stevetrom, Jack E and Tom-King like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice