Why did you leave your last band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Sep 29, 2009.

Why did you leave your last band?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2009.
  1. Band sacked me (or asked/inferred I should leave)

8 vote(s)
  2. I chose another band

33 vote(s)
  3. I moved away from the area (often work/uni related)

44 vote(s)
  4. I aged out (youth band)

1 vote(s)
  5. I am a band tart

4 vote(s)
  6. Other…please explain

52 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Seen the band hopping thread and I thought a more scientific (and anonymous poll) might give more info.
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I retired from full time banding because I wasn't happy with my own playing standards as the passing years made their presence known.

I was having to practice harder and harder just to stand still if you know what I mean.
    It was time to make way for younger blood before my fading talents (Ha ! Ha !) became (more) obvious.

I still do a bit now and again and that's how I like it after hugging an EEb Bass for 50 odd years. (and some of them were distinctly odd !!)

- Mr Wilx
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'd think every other one was ;-)
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I voted "other". I think that there's a large hole in your question. I would add two other reasons:

1. Unable to fulfill/balance work/family/band commitments

2. Simply lost interest in banding

For me, I left the National Capital Band in 1991 (after 15 years) because was starting a new career, had two small children, and just could not commit the time to the band. Once my career stabilized and my children got a little older, I returned, having been away for 7 years.

My personal standard for commitment to the band is very high - much higher than most people, in my experience. (I've missed one engagement and one rehearsal since I returned to the band in 1998 ). So when I started to miss things because of work and family, I chose to leave the band rather than be a part-time player.
  5. carbon selector

carbon selector New Member

I left a band for the 'usual' sort of reasons but was able to use the convenient excuse of travel distance.

I wonder then, how long is a good 'greiving' period before joining another band or for another band to do the poaching. It seems that around our area, the word gets out pretty quick when someone leaves a band and might be available elsewhere.
  6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Was three weeks for me - I had to decide if I still wanted to continue playing or not.
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Clever stuff.
    Bravo, you made me chuckle.
    Though the ones inbetween the odd ones were mostly slightly uneven.

- Mr Wilx
  8. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Some members of a previous band were rather unkind following my divorce. Tried to rise above it, but realised I was fighting a losing battle.
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I didn't really leave as such; I like to think I'm on an open-ended sabbatical.

I stopped playing because I became ill, and found performing too stressful. I still do for that matter. So I'm confined to the audience for the foreseeable future although it does give me more time to do other things, like be secretary at ODBBA!
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

left the country.
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I followed the conductor of my last band to my present one but stayed on after he left some years later.
  12. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Loss of players, conductors etc made me leave
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I haven't yet....... 25 years and counting. :D
  14. Columbo

Columbo Member

My ex hated the band and me being involved even though I had been banding for 18 years prior to meeting her! After I left her, due to her bullying ways and aggression (constantly), including violence for no other reason but jealousy at me having lots of friends, she then saw fit to begin turning up to social events, which she would never do without a fight previously and ironically enough, and inviting band members out which was rich, as she hated most of them and had sl***ed them off one by one for years,especially the women! I tried to rise above it also, but its just impossible. She beat me in the end and bullied me into submission with it. I stopped going to band (I had been there for 20 years on and off) and even stayed away, socially. I thought by keeping quiet, saying nothing and keeping it private people would respect me rather than her for it. I was wrong. It broke my heart and I was so disappointed and it still hurts me now as my relationship with those mates has not been the same since. I'd tried to do the right thing hoping they would see her for what she was. She then continued to lie about me and some members seemed to believe her and changed their opinion of me. Even if they did speak to me, it was different. She stopped going when her job there was complete. I have moved on now although I still live in the same village and still see some of my old mates, but have made new ones outside that band and am happy now. Its amazing how people quickly change their opinion of you, even when they have known you for so long.

Disappointing but hey ho! Phew, I feel better after that! Good Therapy! Lol!
  15. zak

zak Member

Dirty washing anyone???

16. Columbo

Columbo Member

Not really. And that was my point exactly. Just sympathising and a case in point. Hope it never happens to you mate, cos believe me it ain't nice. So much for a friendly discussion.
  17. zak

zak Member

18. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

My last band - work interfered with band, and band interfered with work. Band didn't pay the mortgage.... but I've sometimes felt that I should have stuck with the band ('cos work went belly-up anyway...:( )

(And I've sometimes thought, over the past 12-13 years, of chucking it in with my current band. However, the personal reasons have always evaporated after a week (or so) off, and the band reasons have vanished by the next rehearsal - usually :rolleyes:)
  19. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Very brave to be so honest - I hope you can be happier in your banding in the future.
  20. Columbo

Columbo Member

Thankyou Andrew. Its never been said and I feel a little better for it now. I'm a lot happier nowadays. Cheers.