Why can't brass bands be popular like this?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JDH, Oct 28, 2007.

1. JDH

JDH Member

I have just been watching this video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDs24rL_b6E

Got me thinking, if a a wind band can be so popular and appeal to young people in Austria, why can't brass bands in the UK?

This would be like a brass band playing at Glastonbury!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band
    U
    people
    brass bands
    wind band
  3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

If a regular Brass Band turned up at Glastonbury amid all the drunk folk there would be a big crowd and people dancing around just the same.

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

5. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

I think they're only actually cheering for the man with the blow-up guitar though!!! :wink:

6. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

This is a prime example of why there are more people at Whit Friday than at any other major contest and also that the music played by bands in Bavaria, Romania, eastern Europe, South America and basically anywhere else that does not promote band music as perfection driven and goal setting society or movement. Look up the brass festivals in eastern Europe and you find thousands at events, simply because bands play in the open air/or places with social significance and play music that is socially significant to those participating (i.e. for players, listeners that know the genre, listeners that don't and organisers).

Since we do none of this and advertise/promote ourselves as a poor relation of the classical world then we won't get as many people at multiband events.

7. Aidan: What a youtube video lol

8. JDH

JDH Member

Richard, I think you have hit the nail on the head!

While in eastern Europe bands have remained part of popular culture, in the UK with the exception of Whit Friday, bands do not fit into 'Jo publics' life and are mostly seen as an anachronism of the past - looked down on by the classical music world and largely ignored by the wider public.

I think brass bands need some serious re-marketing. What we need is something like a popular TV programme set around a band to drive up general public interest and awareness.

9. Look the first video on youtube here though, and see its only about 3 people who are actually dancing... The rest of the people are being very 'reserved' like people in the UK would be.

10. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

Anyone going to write a soap called "The Band" then?

I've often thought the real-life goings on in the band world are even less believeable (and more gripping) than anything in Corrie or East Enders...

Pete

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Incidently, there is a brass band on every year at Glastonbury on the Sunday morning. It was the only time I got anywhere near the stage....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band
    U
    people
    brass bands
    wind band
  13. Owen S

Owen S Member

The programme always lists "Glastonbury Town Band", but it's actually Yeovil Town. I just checked the programme for this year's festival, and it had the National Youth Orchestra in that slot instead. I don't know why.

14. JDH

JDH Member

That is just the sort of thing needed. I bet we could get up some good "real life" story lines together on this forum.

It could be far more interesting than the usual soap, including all the family situations that bands bring and of course lots of great music. Could include rivalry between two band to add some spice and bring that strange institution of the band contest into the story.

Now all we want is a script writer with good contacts with the broadcasters.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What could be more relevant to Joe Bloggs is some sort of follow-on series to the film 'Brassed Off'. Pit closure, new industry to the area and changes in life-style of the players (in new jobs) and all the stories that banding conjures up!

16. Yeah, we need to think of a good brass band idea for tv!

What would make brass bands cool and popular through tv?!

17. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Quite a lot of talk about this here...

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29108

I spoke to a TV producer friend that has done many channel 4 productions such as wife swap, boss swap, make me a million, trust me I'm a healer etc.
    He liked the idea of the fanatical side of things and has been on this site. I have emailed him the clip of Mike Eccles dancing - sorry Mike!! you never know mate you could get famous!

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- thanks for the reminder (threads to merge I suspect!) to ask you for an update ...

- has he visited tMP yet to gather information? Have you spoken to him since?

19. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Yes I have spoken to him about it. To be honest he wasn't 100% convinced of the value of it. As I mentioned before, I have sent him the Acid Brass link for him to chew over.
    At the moment he is filming Celebrity Wife Swap so is quite busy but I'll keep pestering him.
    I think the wackier ideas would appeal to him as he does these bizarre human interest themes. I suppose it depends if you want to be thought of as bizzare!!?
    He has been on tmp as a visitor and found the site very interesting. He has to be able to convince the sponsors as even though he is freelance he still needs funding.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- any reasons why? (or was that confidential?).

21. JDH

JDH Member

Maybe he can follow it with Band Wife Swap?! :biggrin:

22. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Didn't say really - just wondered about the commercial value of it. He didn't reject the idea - just not sure.