Why bother playing a march?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Statto, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Statto

Statto Member

Richard Evans is undoubtedly the 'king of entertainment', winning his 9th Brass in Concert title at the weekend, but he is also the 'master of the march' with a 12th march prize in his 22 appearances since the prize was introduced in 1985.

However, in addition to Leyland's 'Imperial Echoes', the only march played this year of any description was the decidely non march-like 'Marsch oder Die Versuchung' played by Foden's. It has been several years now since a march was a compulsory element of the Brass in Concert programme and it is clear that it has become a very unpopular programmatic choice but why is that? Perhaps the march prize should simply be scrapped? However, when Frank Renton announced that Leyland and Richard Evans would next be playing a march, there was an approving murmur throughout the Sage Hall suggesting that the 'punters' at least like to hear a good old-fashioned march.

Or is it that the top bands have lost the knack of playing a quality march?

Actually, for me, the march prize this year should have been awarded to Black Dyke:) for their playing of Queensbury in tribute to Roy Newsome (via the big screen before the contest started)!

Full history of march prize winners available here

Statto
    www.brassstats.com

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass in Concert
    Marsch oder Die Versuchung
    Richard Evans
    Leyland
    quality march
  3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I thought Mike Fowles arangement of Foden's march was great, and a real change from the old war horses that get pulled out. Go on youtube and you'll hear a great wind band version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2LKYRtRAsw Just because it wasn't run of the mill stuff and had a few hidden surprises in it - it was still a good old 2/4 march. :clap: keep counting 2 in the bar and you'll see it works :p

4. Statto

Statto Member

Agreed!!

5. jockinafrock

Well thankyou Statto! :wink:

6. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

7. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Ha ha ha!

I wasn't at the Sage but heard Foden's programme a few days earlier. I really enjoyed the march, it was great to hear something a bit different from the norm

8. jockinafrock

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

10. jockinafrock

Brassneck - hope you're not referring to Toby... ;) or me... :wink:

11. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Can't be me he's referring to, I don't play the Tuba much these days.....(some would say I never did!)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass in Concert
    Marsch oder Die Versuchung
    Richard Evans
    Leyland
    quality march
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

No fingers pointed! Just a video response ... ;)

14. jockinafrock

Phew! The trousers ARE getting a bit tight on me... :oops:

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

They might have got that way if you were with me comparing notes with others at today's Scottish Open. No consistency about who was the punters' choice, lol!