Why aren't instrumental lessons rotated any more?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Am getting frustrated at school by a pupil who misses one of my lessons every week to go to a music lesson. When I was at school instrumental lessons were rotated so you didn't always miss the same lesson. Have all schools stopped doing it like this or is it just mine? Obviously have no objection to instrumental lessons, but the amount of tiime missed from maths over a year becomes massive.

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I used to swap mine so that they were in PE (I hated carrying PE kit AND flugel AND trumpet to school). Maybe this pupil doesn't like maths?

3. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Always used to get rotated in my comprehensive school days. speak to the music teacher to see if they can rotate them.

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

maybe they are deliberately tryin to miss maths??? my school tries to get teachers to rotate lessons but they don't......too much of a hassle for them

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

At my school they are rotated.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

They were never rotated at my school. I don't think I missed out on all that much...

7. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

in secondary school they weren't rotated an my maths teacher used to go spare an try to ban me from leavin in his lesson... so then i stopped goin to maths althogether cos i knew i wouldnt be able to escape...hence i failed maths gcse. but i suppose its a massive workload for muso teachers to work out whose missin what every week, imagine rotating ur lessons every week? nightmare!

8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

hmmmm not really, drawing up a rota system is simple enough. The places I have worked all used rotas.

9. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i have my lesson in my free periods at college

10. Lisa

Lisa Member

I used to conveniently have music lessons during classes that I disliked or hadn't done the homework for... :roll:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    more
    school
    lessons
    one
    lesson
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hehe, ditto! Never ever fell on PE though :cry:

13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

My friend and I used to tell PE we had a music lesson and then tell the music department that we had a free period and then we got to go into a music room. It wasn't really a lie - we had a free period because we told PE about the music lesson and we did go to a music room and play music which is kind of like a lesson... :rolleyes:

14. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I did the same thing Kirsty.....especially during HRE units.

Speaking as a victim of the rotating lesson, my teacher rotated over 3 periods, but for me 2 of them were double accountiung, so one way or the other, I wasn't at accounting.

Damn shame. 13 girls and me.

15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Mine was in 2 days a week - Monday and Thursday (amazing I can still remember this...). PE for me was nearly always on Monday and Thursday so if I had to go then I had a bag of PE kit plus a schoolbag plus 2 instruments to carry to school and around school all day. So it kinda made sense for me to swap my lesson or to go to the music department at that time anyway. No wonder I'm so strong though!

16. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

At our school when your in year 7/8/9 your lessons are on a rota, but once you get into years 10/11/12/13 you have to have lessons at breaks/dinners or after school (or free periods for 6th formers) because it's important that we're in lessons for our gcse's/a-levels or whatever. But yer I still tell P.E. my lesson just happens to be right in the middle of P.E. so boohoo I can't do it :)

17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Our lessons are rotated when I do the timetable, but as I was ill at the start of term, there's no guarantee that any other person could understand my system :)

Who knows what could be happening;)

What was that about nobody being indispensible????

18. six pints

six pints Active Member

in first school we didnt have instrumental lessons (thats up to end of yr4)

middle school they were rotated, but there was 3 of us at 1/2 an hour each, so we nearly always missed the same thing anyway (and then we decided to all stay for eachothers lessons, so missed all 1 1/2 hours!) up to end of yr8

then mine were rotated up till yr11, and when i became an old sixth formaer i asked for mine to be at the start of the day, so i always missed first 15mins of first lesson, but we were on a two week timetable, so it was only really every other week. my frees never seemed to coincide with the right times tho.

what used to annoy my teachers were the county bands, were we had one rehearsal a month all day, and a week away every year (band camp!!!) and i remember once through one thing and another (band camp, school music tour, d of e) i missed 5 physics lessons with one of my teachers in a row, and he basically said to me well its your a level, i dont care if you fail. (this was totally out of charector for him cos hes an ace teacher and we got on well.) i could see his point completely, but was a bit takenaback. he apoligised on parents evening which was the next week in front of my mam as well, which i thought was really great cos he didnt have to, and i caught up on the work and got an a. yay!!

jeez that was long. sorry.

19. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

ooh well lucky you..some of us aint that fortunate!

20. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I work in 10 schools each week.
    Out of them, one has a rotating timetable - but by the time the Yr 10 & 11 girls have got their lessons fixed (as has already been mentioned, they have their lessons in breaks or lunch) there isn't a great amount of rotating to be done.

I fix the rotations myself - I then make sure that all the students have a copy, that there is a copy in the room I teach and one on the music department noticeboard. This doesn't stop about half of them turning up at the wrong time each week.

Talk to your teacher and see if it is possible. Explain the situation and see what can be done.

21. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Having just had to correct some messes on our timetables (see above) it has just occurred to me that when some of use went to school, our lessons - if we were that lucky - were free. These days parents have to pay for lessons, so they can, quite rightly, insist that their children receive their lessons. The actual timing of the lessons should, of course, be done to cause minimum damage to other subjects, but there are limits of supply involved. If your supplier can't obtain a teacher for you at a particular time - particularly if it is the local authority - there is not much you can do to solve the problem.

Most music departments that I know of make every effort to use a rota. We go to extraordinary lengths to avoid the same lessons being hit every week with the same pupils. Of course there is another issue here in that the children, as well as having a right to the lessons, have a responsibility to make sure they keep up with their regular classwork and homework.
    Have you checked with your music department that the kids aren't pulling a fast one? It has been known...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    more
    school
    lessons
    one
    lesson