Why are two cornets so different?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Aug 18, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Ok folks....

I have a gorgeous, lovely and beautiful Besson Sov in silverplate.... and I love it, but currently its waiting to be sent off for repairs, so I'm playing on a laquer sov that I've borrowed off a chap at band.... and I don't like it :( I always feel like I'm playing really out of tune... even though when our MD does a tune up, I'm normally always in tune and it just doesn't sound like my cornet :(

Why? :tongue:

Fi
    xx

2. squirrel

squirrel Member

Assuming that's not a rhetorical question...
    Mona: (singing "Blowin' with the Wind" with Lisa) How many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man....
    Homer: (interrupts out of nowhere) Seven?
    Lisa: No Dad, it's a rhetorical question.
    Homer: (trying to think) Rhetorical, eh....Eight?
    Lisa: Do you even know what 'rhetorical' means?
    Homer: Do I know what "rhetorical" means?

... sorry, I digress...

I guess there could be any number of reasons, brass instruments are assembled by hand, so there are variations in build between instruments. Then there's the fact that they're treated differently by their owners, some might have been cleaned out regulalry, others might have 10 years of grot built up inside. Some might have been repaired. Even things like wear on the valve guides or compressed felts, can cause the valves to be out of alignment, affecting the sound.

Sometimes it is surprising how much difference there is between what appear to be identical instruments, which is why you should always play an instrument before buying it.

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Even new instruments can be very different, for the reasons squirrel mentions, we got 3 new sovs recently and each one blew differently (well to me anyway lol).
    Plus you get so used to your own anything else just isn't the same.

4. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

i have the same problem with my yamaha tuba, and my bands besson soverign tuba, they just dont feel the same to play, that was at first, normally i would hate to play the yamaha and would only play the besson, but after playing it for a month or so, you eventually get used to having to blow differntly to get the same sound, i think its just because its different to the cornet you normally play, just clean it out, make sure there is no grime in it, and them practise with a practice mute, or something to make it harder to blow, and blow your socks off, then take the practice mute out and you might feel a little more happy when playing it.

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

How old are they? More recent sovereigns are notoriously a bit poo, so if the borrowed one is a newer one that would be the reason.

6. meandmycornet

yeh steve's is a lot newer than mine.... it has besson on the leadpipe..... I'm not liking the sound of what drewdan said.... I want my cornet to be the same after its been fixed as it is now and I DO NOT want to get used to the borrowed cornet!!! At the same time I have to play it because we have a contest coming up and I have to keep my lip in aswell :( ooooh its not fair! Why did I have to throw my cornet across south molton square? :(

7. Anno Draconis

There are other threads about the new Besson instruments (not just cornets) being pants - the general theory seem to be that as loads of bands got lottery grants to buy new instruments Besson had to cut corners to keep up with demand. The cornets with the Besson name stamped on the leadpipe mostly fall into this category.

Incidentally, have I imagined it or have you managed to your cornet and your foot in the last 3 months? I don't want to worry you, but these things generally come in threes ;)

8. meandmycornet

Ermmmm.... well I threw my cornet across the square last year...... well... I landed on it in the square in the rain.... and it rolled off my knee on stage at bugle :tongue: because I couldn't hold it on my knee with my leg because it was in plaster (I was changing the page of my music and repegging it) and my evil brother broke my cornet by pulling it out of my hand when I was practicing once :( so it already did come in three! :tongue:

I don't want to have my leg in plaster two more times though.... thank you very much!

9. Anno Draconis

Okay, maybe you used up your share of bad luck! I'm impressed you managed to convince someone to lend you a cornet after that catalogue of disaster though :D

10. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

That sounds a bit like the last euphonium I played...I used to use the band sovereign and I loved it, but there was a huge dent in it so it got sent off to be repaired. I then borrowed another sovereign and I hated it! I couldn't understand why as they were both bought new on exactly the same day....? :confused: I always just assumed I played better with a dented instrument :tongue:

(PS - hope Charlie is better soon, love Eric xxx)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Besson Sov
    beautiful Besson Sov
    repairs
    cornets
    waiting
  12. meandmycornet

Oh well that fills me with such confidence han.... so am I not going to like Charlie when he comes back? :(

Dearest Eric.... charlie is very poorly and is on his way to the cornet hospital..... he will be in touch when he is better :tongue: lots of love Auntie Fi xx

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm sure it'll be fine Fi - I'm think it would have to be a pretty dramatic rebuild to have any great effect. If someone's just knocking a few dents out of it then you should be OK. If they are taking the instrument apart and resoldering it then I suppose that might be a different matter. And even if they are - you never know, it may come back even better than when it was new! :tup

14. meandmycornet

Well considering it was about 10 years old when I got it... and it was a teensy bit 'crippled' then.... I've never had it new!

I think Mr Ricky does take it totally apart and put it all back together any... and one part of it most definately needs resoldering..... mum and the solo horn player at band have had their horn's operated on my the same chap and they are nice and lovely.... so hopefully Charlie will come back from hospital and still resemble his former self! Charlie has been driven up to manchester this morning by my uncle, who is going to hand deliver him to Ricky's :D so it shouldn't be too long for me to wait for my baby to be back! (takes 10 days for the recondition and repairs to be completed!)

I feel totally out of control though.... my baby is miles and miles and miles away.... all on his own.... and I didn't even take him there!

Fi
    xxx

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- does this count as child abuse as you put him there? ;)

16. meandmycornet

nooooo because he's in the hospital for sick cornets! :tongue:

I miss him!!

Fi
    xx

17. persins

persins Member

All cornets feel different despite what the label on the bell, leadpipe etc say. As mentioned above, that's why you should always try before you buy.

Certain people may be suited to certain instruments but it is possible to get used to them if you give them a chance. I own a large bore Maestro and really like that. I did struggle to match the sound with the rest of the woodfalls cornet section though and joined the courtois club.
    Although the finish of the instrument was poor and it felt very weird, I got used to it.
    As more people began to get completed hacked off with the poor quality of the cornet (although not the sound) the section have moved away from them.

I'm now back on the maestro!!

18. drunk monkey

drunk monkey New Member

I have a problem with my cornet, but with a difference. When i play it i'm certain it is faulty as the sound produced is really rather poor, rather like bagpipes. However when played by other players, the same cornet sounds just as it should. Nerver mind 2 cornets sounding different, its just the one in my case.

19. meandmycornet

Charlie's home! :D My beautiful cornet arrived home at apprixmately 10.30am yesterday and was delivered by a nice courier man! Thank god I've got a woofy dog is all I can say! I didn't hear the doorbell.. just Milo barking!

Charlie is all better now and I'm soooooooo glad to have him back.... and so far I already love him more than I did before! I can take Steve his cornet back to band tomorrow now!

Happy Fi
    xxxxxxx