Why are the new threads not listed first?

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by davethetuba, Jul 11, 2007.

1. davethetuba

davethetuba Member

If you insist on combining threads as per your rules, then why do people have to go to the last post to find the latest one? This is very annoying and am sure is putting off people reading the post. Can you not list posts with the latest one first? If you insist on listing posts together then make it fair on those that want to read them and us that are trying our best to keep a band together!

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Easy: User CP | Edit Options | Thread Display Options | [then select] Linear - Newest First

;)

3. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Personally, I prefer to read through threads that interest me and follow the development of the discussion. For this reason I would prefer to leave things as they are and not change my settings.

HOWEVER I can see that it could be very useful if it was possible to have the latest post displayed first in the recruitment thread, where the threads can get quite long (I think that it was an Emley one that I saw earlier that had over 120 posts in it!!) but it's only the recent posts that will be of any real interest to most people.

Is it possible to have some threads ordered one differently to the rest? I don't know the technical answer but if it were possible it might be worth a try.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Alternatively, all old and out-of-date recruitment posts could be removed when a new one is added to the thread. Personally, I like the "jump to last post" button - it works for me.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Note to all: Send all donations to pay for a full-time, fully-paid-up moderator to john@themouthpiece.com

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hey, I'm happy with it as it is!! Just making a "helpful" suggestion! :tongue:

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

As are a lot of others.

Not having a go Dave, just my sarcy way of saying we simply haven't got the time, or the inclination, to go for that option! ;)

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

A few things here Dave...

Firstly: you may not be aware of some tMP functionality that will allow you to visit the last post or the last unread post in a thread.

1 - click 'New Posts'
    [​IMG]

2 - click where the arrow "1" points to to get to the last unread post in the thread or click where the arrow "2" points to to get to the last post in the thread.

[​IMG]

Secondly: As has been pointed out by Dyl... I must personally add here that criticising and complaining about a massively used www site (often over 4,000,000 pages delivered per week - at my cost) that provides you and all bands with a free facility to promote and advertise your band vacancies - is in my opinion quite rude, quite arrogant, and not a good thing to do. You are criticising something that I offer to you and all bands freely - and I don't like that.

You don't like my rules, then don't make free posts on my site. and don't get thousands of potential visitors to view them.

John

9. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

John's post sums it all up really.

If you go to a fancy restaurant, pay some hard-earned and you don't like the food - complain. iI someone gives you something for free - eat it and shut up!!!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I have just posted in one of the other threads, there are a number of reasons for not wanting to remove old posts from any of the discussions on tMP. As we have found when dealing with some of the more contentious issues, if posts are deleted, you can find that the remaining posts do not really make sense, especially if reference has been made to what others have said.

Secondly, leaving the threads in their entirety gives a truer picture, as people have to stand up and be counted in respect of the posts they have made.

Thirdly,and this relates directly to the Recruitment area, leaving the whole thread helps people seeing the request for players to get a clearer picture of the band in question, such as how stabloe their membership may be etc. If a band seems to be constantly on the lookout for new players, without any obvious reasons such as player relocation etc, it may be that those reading the thread may want to think twice before making an application.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rules
    combining threads
    people
    listing posts
    new threads
  12. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

Why not delete all recruitment posts once they are a month old, I have just noticed that there are 40 pages on the Recruitment corner going back God knows how long. It has become cluttered and therefore for anyone looking there is far too much to trail through and so it has become inefficient.

Just a suggestion.

Simon

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  13. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Although not particularly well phrased davethetuba was asking a perfectly legitimate question which has been answered by the mods.
    I see no criticism.
    To me this reaction is over the top and makes you sound like a dictator, which I am sure is not the case.
    I assume you were having a bad day?

14. Bungle

Bungle Member

Judging from the time of the post (23:31), it probably had been a long day. When reading a contentious post I usually take a look at the posting time and then decide the intent.

15. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

No Need Really

Hmm

Sadly, this is similar to the reaction I got yesterday when asking why I could not post in a certain area.
    We all enjoy TMP and in my opinion by visiting it and posting on it shows our continued support. In a world of.com's, it is difficult to keep everyone happy I agree but attitudes like this and the one I had yesterday don't appeal to people.
    I will continue to support TMP and all you do but please don't be rude to us. Without us, there is no TMP

Thanks

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

With all due respect, if people took a bit of time out to read and inwardly digest the website rules and guidelines (which it has to be said are pretty clear and rather easy to understand) and then posted in the relevant or correct forums, the moderator team would have more of their already limited time to look after issues such as the one that started this thread.

If posts of any discription were allowed to be posted in any forum, we'd soon have a website where nothing could be traced or found.

Thank you for your continued support, however please try to remember that this website is free for all to use (except those who wish to volunteer financial help) and is run and moderated completely by volunteers.
    Our time is as precious as yours, and it's sometimes a little wearing when constantly having to correct things that are clearly defined in the rules.

17. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I'm being careful in how I write this post but I feel I should say that this thread has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. As mentioned before, the initial post was not very sensitively written but surely feedback is what can make a site better. I'm sure there was an over-reation. And now I'm in fear of the back-lash of suggesing such a thing!

BTW I have no suggestions for improvement and find the site very user-friendly.

18. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

If suggestions and feedback are to be left, then why not do it here.

Just a thought.

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We absolutely do encourage feedback - and believe it or not, we do discuss members' suggestions, and if we feel they have merit do our utmost to impliment them.

However, I feel obliged to point out that the method and wording of posts made to moderators does matter. Moderating this site can be incredibly time-consuming - and the Recruitment Corner is one of the topics we spend most of our time discussing. In fact, just recently we had cause to discuss one particular recruitment thread, and the discussion on that single thread ran over several pages and several days. If you multiply that by the number of bands regularly posting here, and then multiply again by the number of posts made, you will maybe see the size of the task we have with Recruitment Corner. So please understand how frustrating it can be to be on the receiving end of ill thought out, or plain abusive posts and PMs.

tMP's rules have evolved over five years now. Those rules have only ever been changed to make it easier - easier for you as members to find and discuss the things you feel you need to, or easier for the moderating team to moderate such a huge site. The rules are clear, concise and available on every page - at the top right hand corner. tMP is moderated solely by applying these these rules - if you don't break them, we won't intervene - it's as simple as that.

There are also specific rules for the Recruitment Corner, which are designed to make it simple and fair for everyone using this area. Yes, there are some limitations to what we can do, caused by the forum nature of tMP, but these small limitations can largely be overcome by following the rules - hence their application. These rules are as simple to follow as we can make them, and are clearly stickied at the top of the Recruitment Corner forum listing with a note in the title asking everyone to read them. Yet we still spend time moving, deleting, merging posts and threads from people who seemingly CBA to spend a minute reading and another minute thinking before posting their thread. Even worse we get people who insist on starting new threads for recruitment ads even though we've previously told them not to do this.

Simply put, deleting "old" posts, individual threads, editing members' posts or, frankly any of the other suggestions made in this thread would add more unnecessary work to an area which already takes more than enough of our time to moderate. Some of the suggestions would also be impossible for us impliment properly - how do we know if a particular vacancy is "live" or not?

Again I feel I must point out that the whole of tMP - including Recruitment Corner is provided totally free of charge. John doesn't make anything from running tMP - in fact the costs to him personally are ever-increasing. We feel the Recruitment Corner - like tMP in general - is a worthwhile resource for all of our members, and hence it will remain totally free for the foreseeable future despite our spiraling server costs. All we ask in return for this uniquely free service is for members to abide by our rules, and for some simple courtesy towards the tMP team should you feel the need to complain, question, or request.

Thanks.

20. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Fair point, quite right too. If comments are left they should be done in the correct way.

21. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I usually respond to these types of posts straight away, but I haven't had a chance to get online today - work, then Harry Potter with my daughter, so - apologies for the delay.

No, not a bad day really... just a frustrated reaction to what I perhaps misread as a criticism. Easy to see why this was the case and hence my response - but as I now see there was no criticism intended, I am always willing to hold my hand in the air with a guilty as charged plea, and I sincerely apologise for this.

As I usually do - 99.99% of the time. I am only 10% perfect :) My wife may even disagree with that level of perfection ;)

Please don't misinterpret my intent in what I wrote to you Trumpet Major. I responded to your PM in a factual manner, and explained why it is the case that the number of user threads and posts are limited in the classified section, and how to avoid that limitation. We did have commercial organisations who were not supporting tMP in any way, taking advantage of the free service and spoiling it for everyone. Since we put these controls in place, this has stopped.

I had absolutely no intention to be rude to you at all and if I sounded that way, once again I apologise.

I could quite honestly show you how rude some people are on tMP to myself, and to the voluntary team of excellent Mods we have here, in the dozens of posts we have to deal with on a daily basis made by people whose only intention is to stir, cause offence, and trouble and more unnecessary work for the team. You would really be suprised at the number of times I have been threatened with ridiculous legal action from ridiculous people, and the inappropriate stuff that often gets posted - but that hopefully nobody ever sees. There is a shed load of activity behind the scenes here.

My legal costs this year alone have been in excess of £600.

Please don't be careful about making suggestions - we really do welcome them all, and always deal with them accordingly. If we are able to implement a suggestion then we will, if this suggestion has a cost impact (and most usually do) then I consider the overall benefit, discuss this with the team, and make a pragmatic decision.

Please don't worry about over-reactions... feel free to post your thoughts and issues as you see them.

Agreed, as I said, despite making my comments - I perhaps misread the post and as such they were an over-reaction.

So - there you go... hopefully this explains all, am I forgiven...:)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rules
    combining threads
    people
    listing posts
    new threads