Why are cornet cases so badly designed?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by starperformer, Mar 7, 2006.

1. starperformer

starperformer Member

I'd love to own a cornet case that has the following features
    * is smaller and lighter than a euph case
    * looks like it protects the cornet better than a carrier bag would
    * has space for the basic mutes that all cornet players need nowadays (at least two, preferably three)
    * has space for a few sheets of music
    * has appropriate carrying handles/straps
    * holds mouthpieces, valve oil etc. without them rattling around damaging the instrument
    * costs less than a cornet

I've looked at and owned a whole range of cornet, flugel and trumpet cases, and not a single one lives up to expectations here. A particular design favourite is putting a large cavity underneath the instrument that vastly inflates the size of the case without being useful for storing anything (you can even lose stuff inside) or protecting the instrument.

For example:
    Maestro case (Yamaha), also looks great, mutes are a squeeze and you can't fit any music in at all without bending it.
    Sovereign case (Besson), huge and clumsy looking, most of this space is dedicated to a secret storage area where you lose stuff.
    Imperial case (Boosey), tiny, and falling to bits (in fairness it is pretty old!), appears to predate the use of mutes.
    Unidentified model case Besson, holds one mute but putting two in presses in on the instrument, everything else rattles around inside
    Bach flugel case, looks great, really expensive to get one, looks big enough and heavy enough to hold a euph, but you can't fit a mute in. Handles aren't strong enough to carry it.

Am I alone in thinking that if you buy a top class instrument (as most of these claim to be) it should come in a suitable case? Am I really too demanding? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement that doesn't cost the earth?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Imperial case
    Maestro case
    euph case
    Sovereign case
    suitable case
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Too right...don't you just love the idea of a cavity under the cornet so all your stuff falls into it when you pick the case up, but its not quite big enough to get your hand in to retrieve said stuff when you need it. Time to tip the case over and empty the entire contents all over the floor, and the last thing out is always the first thing you need.

The case for my 70's Soveriegn is about the best packaged I can think of. It's barely bigger than the cornet itself, has a lidded cavity (so you can get at your stuff) and allows at least enough space for a straight mute and a couple of mouthpieces. The cornet is actually strapped in too so it's not going anywhere. Had it been a smidgin bigger you could've got a cup mute in there too. Shame Boosey / Besson didn't continue and expand and improve that design slightly.
    Hah! The good old Bach Flugel case. Looks like a 70 quid leather jacket, weighs three times as much as the flugel and has about as much storage space as a thimble. The handle has to qualify as one of the most stupid ideas ever. A true design classic.

I think the chain of thought with suppliers is "if it has a large price tag - stick it in a large case". Not all good things come in small packages.

Mind at least you got a case - I recently bought a (quite expensive) flugel and it came with nada, zip, nowt, nothing. It arrived at the shop in a wooden packing crate, wrapped in a plastic bag laying in polystyrene chips. "I take it Sir will be providing the case..."

(Oh I hear good things about Protec cases, maybe you ought to have a look at those...)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well while we're having a moan! I'm playing the Flugel for the first (and last) time at the contest. What's with the stupid case design for the Yamaha? Fiddle about with the tuning doobery, get it spot on but then have to undo it and push it back in to put it in the case!! Pathetic. I know why I bought a Soundware bag for my tenor horn now, loads of space for all my gadgets etc.

5. The Prestige cornet case is pretty good, but I supplement it with a Roy Cropper style shopping bag which does nowt for street cred but holds music folder; music stand; mutes - bucket, cup, straight, harmon and plunger.(Leaving room for numerous cans of beer).

The cornet case contains cornet, two Mps in case slots, practise mute, music glasses, valve oil (leaving room for one can of beer). Under the interior lid - snake pull through, valve casing brush, MP brush, magnets, fingerless gloves, Metronome/Tuner, screwdriver, third MP, slide cream, lyre, music stand light and silver cloth.

I suppose a large gigbag would hold the lot all together.

6. persins

persins Member

From the look of it I would recommend the prestige too. It has an external area for music which is brilliant. The Courtois case also has the external music doobery but that is about the best bit of it! There is absolutely nothing to keep the instrument remotely secure inside it. I resorted to packing it in bubble wrap in the vain attempt to keep it vaguely in one piece. It didn't work!! The finger loop came off!!!!
    I agree about the Yamaha Maestro one though. I can just about get most things into it thanks to a DW Cup mute that comes apart. I just can't get any music in it at all! Really irritating.
    I can't even use my gig bag now as I'm scared of ruining the instrument. A different thread entirely!!

7. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Have a look at the virtuosi stuff. As far as I remember from a quick glance at Derby contest they have a case with space for mutes and music and stuff. And it has the rucksac type strap fittings on the back if I remember rightly.

8. madsaz

madsaz Member

I don't know what you're on about. My soversign case (circa 1995) can fit 4 mutes in (straight, cup, tin & Harmon), two moutnpieces and a huge wad of music in the top storage space.

The trick with the secret underneath bit where you lose stuff it to have a lyre, for dragging stuff from the back, and then to utilise it to its full potential for cunning thin end of mute arrangements. Its also reassuringly square and bulky, and came in handy for sitting on at bus stops when I was still at school.

I'm really not joking about the mutes, I did it for the British Open. It just takes determination and a slight sensation of utter disrepect for the case.

9. Prestige shoulder strap.

:frown: I've got a Prestige and although the case is pretty good, I do have a problem with the shoulder strap. Every time I try to carry the case by this strap, the clip comes ondone and the case goes crashing to the floor (not ideal). Therefore I now only carry it by the handle, but as I'm female and have to carry 25 other things at once it would be useful to be able to use the strap.
    Does anyone else have a problem with this?:-?

10. When my Prestige was only a couple of months old, the shoulder strap snapped. After the jarring of the case hitting the ground, the valves were sticking. I was then without the instrument for three months whilst Besson sorted things out. I believe to this day that I got a new instrument with the old seriel number.
    I havn't used the shoulder strap since.

11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Same here - I always keep the 4 mutes in my soverign case. They fit in there no problem (although only one way round). This is not one of those cup mutes that come apart though - think that would be too big. I also manage to fit a hairbrush in there as well :wink:. I do agree about the gap underneath, but luckily my hands are small enough to get stuff out :tongue:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Imperial case
    Maestro case
    euph case
    Sovereign case
    suitable case
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

The virtuosi cases are very well designed, not because I help on the stall's but because they are very well designed. Prestige style cases with a bit better design! Went like hotcakes at Bradford so they cant be all bad.

14. flower girl

flower girl Member

seeing as i am ur friend what discount can u get me steve XXX :D

15. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

This happened to mine and I also had to buy a new set of mutes so that all three would fit in. Like it though and have my xeno in it.

16. Nathan Mills

Nathan Mills New Member

i went on work experience and got gave a trumpet Which had a case with a cup Holder inside it for a cup of coffee!! how stylish is that....i could sit down with Eric landon(Who took me out to skools) And put a brew inside! now thats what every conret case needs! (Bit off subject but i thought it was about cornet cases) weird!

17. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Haha, I have the same problem with my sov horn case. I have to have my tuning slide pulled out lower than the bottom of the instrument (don't ask me why that is, I don't know!) and I always have to push the slide back in to fit in the case, I have more pencil marks across the slide than I know what! Plus you can only store a sheet of music in it if you don't mind lumps appearing in the music! Must admit, I have never been keen on 'gig' bags, never looked right in a brass band to me, but I am seriously considering buying one now! :eek:

18. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I also have the same problem with my yamaha baritone case. As soon as I move the tuning slide the case won't shut. I ended up buying a soundware gig bag which does have loads of room but the seams seem to split easily

19. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

What you should all do is deisgn a cornet case :p

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

FWIW, I would suggest having at look at one of these:

http://www.ptcases.com/items.asp?ProductID=326&InstrumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=2&InstrumentID=38

Although intended as a trumpet case, the interior design is such that it will also hold a cornet securely in place (actually giving you extra space for a fibre/conical straight mute, if desired). The mute compartment will easily hold 4 mutes.

The cases, albeit a bit pricey, are strong, light, and have an external sheet music pocket.

No, I'm not on commision (!), but I do use them for all my instruments, and would thoroughly recommend them.

21. bennem

bennem Member

I would buy one of the cases from Smith Watkins as they are sturdy and allow you to keep most of the miscellaneous kak that cornet players love to haul around with them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are holders for 2 mouthpieces and sufficient space for the 3 common used mutes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Case mass: 4.2 Kg (with Cornet 5.2 Kg)[/FONT]

I have one and get four mutes in it (stone cup, stone straight, tin straight and harmon) along with the usual rags, mouthpiece cases, lyre, pegs, etc.

22. Steve

Steve Active Member

Is there a shoulder straps for those days where your hands are full?

Not that cornet players ever help with kit anyway!! hehe