Why are contests always on a sunday?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by neiltwist, Oct 29, 2003.

Which day would be best for you?

1. Saturday

2. Sunday

1. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but why are contests always on a sunday? it seems stupid to me to have contests on a sunday, I mean with work and such on the monday, why?
  2. Jordan

Jordan Member

i honestly don't know, i think contests should be on a saturday, as sunday is the lords day of rest as it were, or in banders cases , the day of recovery from severe headaches and hurting livers hehehe :D
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I agree it should be saturdays

How are you supposed to enjoy a celebratory/comisseratory drink if you know you have to get up at 6.30 the next morning to go to work?
  4. picju96

picju96 Member

What if you work on a Saturday though, it would mean loosing a day's pay.
  5. SBB

SBB Member

yeah definately agree with you all,
    Saturday would be soo much better, as on a Sunday you cannot celebrate fully as you have work or school the next day!! Not a very good idea to goto school or wok with a hangover!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

that's always a problem, but normally the shops that are open on saturdays are the shops that are open on sundays too from my experience, although i haven't been to everywhere in the UK yet!
  7. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Saturday would be better for bands with SA players in as often there is a conflict of loyalty if contest on Sunday.
  8. Di B

Di B Member

Nowadays, a lot of people work on Saturdays which is one problem. Another is think of your local city centre.... if its busy on Sunday it will be packed on Saturday! (Now add 80+ coaches full of bandsmen getting lost into that equation!)

Finally, the cost. All shows and events tend to be on a Friday and Saturday as that is when people are free to go and see things. You are going to get a good venue much cheaper if you hire it on a Sunday rather than a Saturday methinks.

At the end of the day, book a day off work! If getting drunk at a contest isn't worth it I don't know what is! :wink:
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's also a much better chance of SA folk coming to support - you may be able to justify playing at a Sunday contest if you are part of the band, but it is harder to justify taking a day off from your usual commitments just to go and listen.

I take Di's point about some venues being available on Sundays that may either not be free or could be more expensive on Saturdays, but another drawback with Sundays can be increased difficulties regarding travelling, catering etc. With Sunday services being much reduced at the best of times, coupled with changes due to engineering works etc, it is a nightmare trying to travel by public transport.
  10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Perhaps it's because a lot of Collieries used to work a 6 day week.
  11. Lotta

Lotta Member

I actually perfer Sundays as it is a bit of a 'none' day for me. :oops:

We played at Pontins on Saturday and I spent the whole day thinking it was Sunday! :? I can understand people's point of view though.

Also... maybe it's because back in the day, no one used to work on Sunday and it was the only available time for everyone

:bounce :bounce
  12. horn1

horn1 Member

That would be nice, but as a teacher not an option I think :( :cry:
  13. SammyT

SammyT Member

Yeah I agree horn1, teaching with a hangover is not easy (err.... not that I know of course............ :oops: ).
    Saturdays are definetly better! We are going into 3rd section as of jan and so will contest on saturday. 4th was on sunday and always had dilemma of drink lots or be reserved.........................drink is so tempting :bounce :guiness :guiness :guiness
  14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

do pontins then! that's on a saturday for the 4th section, however by next time you'll be in the 3rd. :? but that's on a saturday too! :D
  15. SammyT

SammyT Member

was very close to going :cry: :(
    Band would have gone however we qualified for nationals instead and could not afford to do both.
  16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I think a sunday is better. from a playing pont of view.
    A lot of bands these days, especially in the lower sections, have players that work shifts. If a contest is on a sunday there is the opertunity to have a final practice (and social!) on the saturday as you are more likely to have a full band.
    How many times have you been to a contest on a saturday and not been able to have a full rehersal for the week before because of work comitments? i know i have had more than a few contests like this. I have also been one of those working the late shift and been unable to attend a full rehersal for the week before a contest. its not much fun believe me!
  17. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I think you will find that the 3rd section is on a Sunday in the Midlands region. The areas are now split over two weekends. I can't lay my hands on our diary dates just at the moment, but I am pretty sure that the 3rd Sec. in on the first Sunday in March! :(

18. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

This year the Midlands Regional Brass Band Championships are on :-
    6th March 1st Section
    7th March 3rd and Championship Sections
    13th March 2nd Section
    14th March 4th Section
    thanks to http://www.harrogate.co.uk/harrogate-band/ibew.htm for the info
  19. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

better book some time of work then!! :wink:
  20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

It's a hard one, both for us has its advantages,

One of my BBb bass players is a vicar so Sundays are a no go area!

Some of our younger members are getting Saturday jobs so we have 4/5 missing work for band that way,

who know's, Personnally I like sundays, but then i don't have to get up for work on a monday!!