Why 10 cornets?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Spanky Rear, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

I seem to recall reading that 10 cornets became the norm in Brass Bands just over 100 years ago,and that this has remained the situation up to now.Why is it 10 cornets;why not more or less?Is this figure now an arbitrary one?If so what number would now be appropriate?
    Spanky

2. Incognito

Incognito Member

I used to play in a band that was founded in the 1840's
    Om the bandroom wall there were photos of the band from the late 19th C and there were four or more flugels and fewer cornets.
    I don;t know why the change was made, but by the 20's it must have been 10 cornets (going by scores like Oriion the Hunter by Granville Bantock which dates from then).

3. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

From a 4br article by Stan Lippeatt:

More interesting flugel stuff: http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2003/art321.asp

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

From the history page on the SBBA website

"Until this point in time (1945) the maximum number of players permitted in the Contesting Bands was 24. Eric Ball, the eminent Composer and Conductor, using his influence tried to have the number increased to 26. He wanted another Front Row Cornet and another Tenor Horn, even at the expense of excluding a Baritone. After extensive discussions with the top administrators in the Movement and the Music Publishing Houses he failed to convince them to change. A compromise was achieved with agreement to allow the extra Cornet and therefore from 1946 the maximum contest playing number would be 25 from a pool of 33. Percussion had not yet come into the equation of brass band contesting."