Who's up for football?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brass journo, Jun 26, 2005.

1. brass journo

brass journo Member

Battle of the bands!

Following the success of the 2004 event, the United Co-op Yorkshire Brass Band is running a second 5 a-side football tournament, due to take place on 31 July 2005 at Stanley Rodillians Rugby Club, Manley Park, Rothwell.
    Last year’s event saw around 20 teams compete and bands from the top flight including YBS, Faireys and Sellers International locked horns with teams from the lower sections, including Emley Brass, Meltham & Meltham Mills and Ireland Colliery Chesterfield.
    However, the only team entered that was not from a brass band won the tournament, taking home the prize money!
    Prize money of £75 will be up for grabs for the winning team and the tournament organisers are hoping that even more teams will enter this year and come and join the fun which will also include a bar, barbeque and raffle.
    For an entry form e-mail Tabby Clegg at tabby.clegg@btopenworld.com
    The following month on Saturday 27 August, the band will also be holding another black tie ball and more information can be obtained from Tabby Clegg.

Thanks to the guys at Rothwell Temps for assisting with footie arrangements!

Attached Files:

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

You can pretty much assume The Emley will be there again.

Superb event last year, really enjoyed it despite nearly killing myself with a badly attenpted swan dive, and then nearly drowning in the downpour that persisted during our semi with Pennine Brass.

'Ave it.
  3. brass journo

brass journo Member

Cool!! get your form filled in then!!
  4. 2nd man down

We're on with it. ;)
  5. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

This sounds like a good idea!! it's a shame I'm home for the summer. I could have lost a few pounds running after the ball!!!:)
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Would love to do this, but since our team would probably consist of me, Kate-the-Horn and Norris the Badger, it's not going to happen.
  7. 2nd man down

Dear BMB,

You could come over and enjoy the day anyway, the more supporters the merrier I say!!
  8. dickyg

dickyg Member

Will Bibbedy Bobbedy Burnett be turning out for the Co-op?

might be worth writing a special fanfare!!

Richard Grantham
  9. brass journo

brass journo Member

You'll have to wait and see for that one Richard!
  10. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

BMB i'll check my diary but i'm interested!!
    and i'll ask sarah when she gets in, i think this is doable!
    Should be a right laugh!

11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

D'you know, I might just do that. Anyone got some floor space to crash on?
    Oh, and I only voted you guilty because Will bullied me...:wink: I think you're as innocent as jacko.
  12. dickyg

dickyg Member

long time since 'slasher' Roberts took to the footy pitch!! In fact, might even be about 1985 Imps vs Rothwell (?)

13. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Just a quick reminder that we need all your entries in for this football tournament which is taking place on Sunday july 31st! We haven't yet got a deadline date but please give us your forms ASAP.

If you havent got a form and would like to enter PM either me or Tabby or any of the Co-op team and we'll happily put your names down! :p See the first post in this thread for all the details.

As this is likely to be shunted down the pecking order and is a fund raising event can i be really cheeky and ask a Mod to make it a sticky...PLEASE! ;) Otherwise not everyone will see it and we need as many teams as possible to make it a fun and enjoyable day...pretty please??? :biggrin:

So come on folks you know you want to...a great day of footie followed by plenty of ale and pies! :tup
  14. The Cornet King

Bit of extra information...

Deadline is gonna be the weekend before the evnt so if all teams can enter by July 24th we would be grateful!

There's a BBQ, lots of ale, etc etc...here's a list of teams who have expressed interest but have not yet given us their forms...so come on people get them in and make it an event to remember...

Dyke, YBS, Sellers, Hepworth, Pennine Brass, Emley, and any other who are interested.

Any more local teams fancy joining??

(Mods, can we get this a sticky please :biggrin: , see above post!)

DONE: PB, Mod
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2005
  15. 2nd man down

The Emley taking on the Championship section!! Now THAT's how it SHOULD be!!! :D :biggrin: :tup
  16. btrommatt

btrommatt Member

Does anybody have a rough idea of teams that r taking part next sunday?
  17. The Cornet King

I've got a list of those bands taking part. Just spoken to Matt on MSN, so everybody else who wants to still play, you can still get your entries in! Do it quick before its too late! We need 16 teams!
  18. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Unfortunately, due to holidays and work commitments, Emley won't be able to take part this year. (Don't think me Crawf would stand much chance on our own!) :( Hope you all have as fantastic day as we had last year!
  19. brass journo

brass journo Member

just wanted to say thanks to everyone that came and supported the football today! We had a great day and well done to Sellers who wom the comp with team Howley a close second.

Thanks again - hope everyone who came enjoyed it.

A special thanks to Sal, Vix, Chris and especially Geraint Griffiths and Mick and Mike Howley - your goal making skills are second to none!

hope to see everyone and more of you next year!

20. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Tabbs, we had a great day and not just because we somehow managed to win it! The trophy will take pride of place next to Mr Mccanns photo in the bandroom!(I'm sure he'll be impressed!).
    Seriously though, thanks to yourself and everyone else that helped to organise the event and her's to next year.