Who's the most overrated brass band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ericthered, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ericthered

ericthered Member

Which brass band do you think is the most overrated?
  2. agentorange

agentorange Member

You go first Eric.............
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

A very antagonistic question... seems to me to be a thread destined for closure. we'll see...!
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Grimley. I thought their Nationals-winning rendition of William Tell was poor. :biggrin:
  5. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

But you must admit that's some of the best conducting you'll see at the Albert Hall!!

I agree - this just seems like a 'who can we criticize and upset?' thread - not such a good idea, methinks :-?
  6. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Good Flug though!:)
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I assume you're referring to the warm lyrical sound and technical assurance in all registers?

No, didn't think so...:wink:
  8. markh

markh Member

Gastric bands are very over-rated
  9. Blagger

Blagger Member

Alice bands mess your hair up on a march.
  10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

This is very subjective - we all have our alliances/favourites/perceptions etc. Don't think any band is over-rated, results speak for themselves, and can't think what productive discussion/debate can come of this thread. :rolleyes:
  11. overrated or elitist? Elastic bands are overrated , but i suppose thats stretching it a bit too far.
  12. Blagger

Blagger Member

:clap: yep - yawn.............

Far better to have one about lesser bands in lower sections that are up and coming or have great players to look out for ?
  13. Black dyke, Fodens, grimey, fairies, cory etc..................i mean, what have they ever done? :rolleyes:
  14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

"lower" championship bands, think they are good but achieved nowt :biggrin:
  15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Except making it to the top section where others haven't? It's all relative you know.....:roll:
  16. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I think it was a joke Di, chill out...
  17. Al

Al Member

Time then, for a rename and enter the 4th Section and clean up for a decade or so.

er, not that that has ever been done before.........
  18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Any bands who came out of "britain's got x factor superstars on ice" or any of those stupid reality programs....
  19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

fulham Brass band???
    Lynchie will be sooo upset!!
  20. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

My point is I don't think any bands are particularly over-rated. They're all just bands, they win some they lose some regardless of which section they're in. Even the so-called "Top bands" rarely win everything and certainly don't keep it up over years and years.