Who's the best 2nd Baritone on the scene?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meeglioni, Oct 24, 2003.

1. meeglioni

meeglioni New Member

For me it's Gaz Daniel at Black Dyke Band. Not only for his playing ability, but he is pretty good looking too!

What do you think?

2. leisa

leisa Active Member

his bro used to go out with my music teacher....just thought id share that!

did cieran young play 2nd with dyke cant remember whether it were 2nd or 1st he were pretty good anyway!! :bounce

3. Danny

Danny New Member

No No NO!!!!

Im afraid that you have it all wrong meeglioni!

Not so much the playing abitlty but as for the looks!!! - Melted welly comes to mind! - He enjoys an ale though!

4. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

For me, it has to be Howard Bowes of Harlesden and the ISB and I'm not just saying that because I'm in the ISB!
    Howard has sat adjacent to me for 6 or 7 years and I've hardly heard a mistake from him all this time!
    I recall, in particular, his triple tonguing in Kevin Norburys's Partita and his tremolando in Eric Ball's Song of Courage.

Super player, top bloke too!

5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Meechan?
    Kieran was 2nd bari.

6. leisa

leisa Active Member

ah yer him then!!

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

The guy from YBS must be pretty handy...I think he was 2nd Euph at one point.

John
    Rothwell Temps

8. horn1

horn1 Member

Re: No No NO!!!!

Don't be so mean Danny!!!! He's a good lad and likes a drink though!!!

9. Jonny Whitmore

Jonny Whitmore New Member

i agree!

I agree with carl! Great player! Great Bloke! The trills in Song of Courage stand out for me! He just plays...nothing flash....its just always in there, always solid! (and he is just as good looking as Gaz Daniel!)

10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

:wink: forget all these big boys!! :wink: for me it's 80 year old (I know how to party!) Fred from Long Eaton and Emma (aged 10 I also know how to party!!) also from Long Eaton!!
    Phew its hard to keep up with these guys!! :wink: :bounce :guiness

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gaz Daniel
    Baritone
    scene
    Black Dyke Band
    playing ability
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Sheridan Fryer - Brighouse & Rastrick - gets my vote.

:wink:

13. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I used to play in a band where the conductor's "little" (ie younger than him, but this guy was still 40-odd) brother was the 2nd baritone. This could give what he got, and he got every single 2nd baritone joke under the sun, and then some. But he always had something to back with, including for his brother!!

14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I think it's me at Hudders Uni Brass Band ... :p

Nah, to be honest I haven't got a clue, the 2nd baritone part is never obvious enough to be recognised (although it should be).

15. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

There are loads of class 2nd bari players. Ciaran is a mint player. Mike Walsh at YBS is class. Sheridan is a legend, as is Cliff Hopes.

And I have to say my boyfriend Lee who plays for Imps, he's a really good player and I'm not just saying that!

There's too many to mention but they never get the praise they deserve!!

Jayne

16. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Bari's!

The legend that is Sheridan is the all conquering 2nd Bari. Experience and wealth of musical knowledge carries the way!

17. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

And he's a lovely man too!

Jayne

18. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

my favourite 2nd baritone player is..... Ri....... Jayne Sadler!!! Yay....!!!

19. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Well Jayne's probably the best looking mentioned so far! (Is that a compliment Jayne?!)-Sorry Gaz!

20. deave

deave Member

Cliff Hopes

21. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

YEY!!! 2 whole votes!!

It's a lovely compliment Mark, but it doesn't say much for my playing!! Lee's a pretty boy though, aww. x

Jayne

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gaz Daniel
    Baritone
    scene
    Black Dyke Band
    playing ability