Who's off to Porthcawl Saturday 16th Feb ?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Po's the name, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

After the last couple of events in the South West at Gloucester and Yeovil, Porthcawl is next on the list, so :
    Who's competing ?
    Who's going to win ?

It's not a bad afternoon / evening by the sea, so come along if you have nothing on......
  2. jimbov

jimbov New Member

Parc are there. And who will win, well that is the golden question. ;)

Anyone else going?

3. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I am back in Wales that weekend and may go along if time allows. Has anyone got a list of competing bands?
  4. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

So far only Parc and Dare confirmed on tMP. Short contest then!
  5. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I know Newbridge are meant to be going.
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Tredegar are there!
  7. Scongie

Scongie Member

Mid-Rhondda are going too.

12 entered so I hear I can think of 10 possibles....

8. no2taz

no2taz Member

I heard a roumour that ton had pulled out.....

Please correct me if i am wrong
  9. no2taz

no2taz Member

Newbridge are going under the batton of Mr Frank Renton
  10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

It says RAF St Athan are going on their website.
  11. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

Correct, Tongwynlais are not going... so we are back to 10 other possibles.

Has anybody seen any OFFICIAL advertising for this important entertainment contest in South Wales ????

The SWEBBA have a nerve to say events are not well supported when well over 300 people have read this thread, so some local radio information on Roy Noble's show would not go a miss, never mind the band people who read all the different brass band websites and magazines.
    My apologies if I am wrong, but the lack of marketing, especially for entertainment contests gets me going.

by the way who's the 11th and 12th bands ?
  12. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Whilst we are on the topic (well ish) of the poor marketing of the some of the Welsh contests, my band (Lympstone) are interested in going to the Ebbw Vale Contest in May in the First Section. I played in Wales for many years and thought that it was always beneficial to play at Ebbw Vale before Weston normally the next day.

If anyone can give me the contact details for the organisers and let me know whether they still have non-Welsh bands I would be very grateful. Oh, also I have heard conflicting views - is the Ebbw Vale contest on the 10th or 17th of May.

Oh and just in case I get the opportunity, what time do the proceedings commence on Saturday?

Cheers all.:tup
  13. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

As far as I know, Draw is at 9:30 - First band on at 11:00
  14. RobBari

RobBari Member

Markham are not going. on the subject of advertising, there was an ad in the Pontypridd Observer last week giving full details of the contest. seem to remember ads in past years also.

DCWOODS Member

Tam-Tam, Ebbw Vale contest is 17th May - same weekend as Weston Contest :D ... You need to contact Robert Gowing (Contest Secretary) for SEWBBA. His number is 02920225762 :)

I believe they are always looking for non-affiliated bands to enter :clap:

Hope that is of some use
  16. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

Well we now know there are at least 9 bands going....starts at 11am and the theatre believe it will be over by 7pm...... so come on down.... enjoy a day by the seaside and some great entertainment for ONLY A FIVER !!!

see you ALL there.:D :D :D
  17. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Cheers, much obliged for that!! Hopefully you will be seeing my band there - if I can persuade them.
  18. Mike Caress

Mike Caress New Member

According to this week's Llantwit Major Gem, the following bands are entered:-
    Abergavenny Borough
    Ammanford Town
    Burry Port Town
    Newbridge (Celynen)
    Parc & Dare
    Pontardulais Town
    RAF St Athan Voluntary
    Thomas Coaches Mid Rhondda
    Tredegar Town

11 entries in total.
  19. Deano

Deano Member

SEWBBA has nothing to do with this contest, it is run by the South Wales Miners' Eisteddfod.
  20. 007ish

007ish Member

Any results yet :confused: