WHO'S LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FINALS IN DUNDEE?

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by JEZ@LADSB, Jul 17, 2003.

1. JEZ@LADSB

JEZ@LADSB Member

I can't wait for the finals, it's going to be excellent. We've work our butts off to get there winning the Southwest regionals in April. I haven't listened to the piece we have to play, 'Sunset Rhapsody', but some say there is nothing to it. There may be hidden depths to it who knows? Somethings have a way of surprising you, especially test pieces!
    Representing the Southwest is one plus side to taking part. It's also a great chance for all the band to get to know each other better. One member of the band suggested that we should play musical beds. That would be interesting!!!!!! and a great way of getting to know each other. To get to Dundee we have a 15hr journey. A long trip on a bus. Something some of the band are not looking forward to. As they say 'a mans got to do what a mans got to do' we all get on well, it's going to be a laugh. We're going to find lots of things to do to occupy our minds and relieve the boredom.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Southwest
    DUNDEE
    Sunset Rhapsody
    Somethings
    band
  3. markyboy

markyboy Member

Dundee is a bit too far for me to travel to listen for the weekend but it should be very interesting as the Nationals always are. I haven't done my homework as yet. so which section is Sunset Rhapsody for? I think the tightest section of the lot will be the 3rd section with some bands who have qualified are playing very well indeed.
    No doubt this subject will appear in a few weeks under 'Who will win the Nationals?' so I will save my predictions until then. Anyway best of luck to you.
    Mark Wears. Pennine Brass.

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i was gonna be going with my old band.. but im deppin for a tour to germany at a beer festival.. gutted 8)

5. Heather

Heather Member

I'm really looking forward to it. We qualified as North West Area Champs (First Section).
    Our piece is A Kensington Concerto. I didn't like it at first but its growing on me now.
    We've done lots of rehearsal on it already. I think you've got to if you're serious about winning.
    I'm not really looking forward to the traveling though...especially on the way back as our section isn't till Sunday afternoon!!!

6. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Me too, getting quite into it now. Should be a good, if rather long, weekend

7. JEZ@LADSB

JEZ@LADSB Member

Sunset Rhapsody

Sunset Rhapsody is the second section test piece for the finals.

8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I'm really looking forward to the finals, it'll be my first finals that i've participated in! Its going to be great fun, but I'm not looking forward to the journey up to Dundee! :? Why do they choose places that are so far to get to?

9. JessopSmythe

I suppose the northern bands all said the same about Torquay last year 8)

10. horn1

horn1 Member

I'm looking forward to the nationals too!!! I've never been before so I'm very excited :D We're playing Four Preludes (3rd section) I like it a lot but some people are going to get bored I think! We play on the Saturday and are going up on the Thursday, should be fun!!!

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I think the northern bands are all saying the same about Dundee this year! It must be a good 200 miles north from Manchester.

Dave

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Southwest
    DUNDEE
    Sunset Rhapsody
    Somethings
    band
  13. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

since I am only an hour or two away i am hoping to get through to listen to some of it, would be nice to meet some of you. I do feel sorry for the bands that have a long way to travel not nice being stuck in a coach for that long. I remeber once palying at the RAH (school band) and we flew down and back on the same day and did not get to hear results or anything, bit of a bummer.

Anyway enough of my ramblings good luck to all who are taking part.

14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I'm looking forward to it bacause we don't have to make the hike to Scotland! yey!

15. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Carlton Brass are looking forward to Dundee with are in the process of signing our last player before the finals. 4 Preludes is very enjoyable to play and we hope that it will be a good contest on the stage ( and Bar :guiness ) Best of luck to all Bands. :tup

16. JessopSmythe

Manchester barely counts as north, it's only just out of the midlands. By northern I meant Scottish and Northen England (Newcastle, Carlisle area etc)

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Looks pretty far North from here! I know what you mean, though; if you drew a line perpendicularly from the South coast to the middle of the border, Manchester would be barely level with halfway up it.

Dave

18. Toby

Toby Member

Although looking forward to the contest, I'm really not enjoying "Call of the Sea".

Lovely moments but the piece does nothing and is awkward as hell to rehearse properly.

Toby Bannan

19. Bones

Bones Member

Sure you'll do fine Toby, I will see you in Dundee, I shall be up there supporting my "other" band the Long Eaton Prize Band from Nottingham.

All the best though and will se you in the bar I'm sure

Cheers

Rich

20. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I am certainly looking forward to Dundee as I have never been to finals before with any band in any section (and I have played with bands in every section). The best part is that I am going home to Scotland to play.

The only problem I have is that although Sunset Rhapsody is a great piece of music there are no sections where the crowd can really hear my weapon of mass destruction at it's full potential i.e. FFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, never mind. I can do quiet .... just never enjoyed it as much.

21. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Whyaye!! We'll have less of this Northern Mancs business! If you consider that I live West of Newcastle and could still quite concievably drive for 1 1/2 hours north and STILL be in England! (Berwick is surprisingly far North, just look it in a road atlas!)

And as for Manchester being South of the middle of Britain, tis' indeed true, the Geographic Centre of Britain is a town called Haltwhistle in the Tyne Valley about 30 miles west of Newcastle. (Alledegedly) (that is the centre of britain claim that is alleged not the whereabouts of Haltwhistle!)

Back on topic,

Good Luck to all, we didn't make it this time, maybe next? who knows?

22. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

we welcome alex aboard the LE ship and hope he enjoys Dundee as we enjoyed Torquay finals :wink: I cant wait meself!!