Whos going to the French Open in Amboise?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by OneTonBass, Jan 10, 2005.

1. OneTonBass

OneTonBass Member

My band is going to the French Open this year again (it's our third time) and wondered who else was looking to go this year?

The number of bands going from the UK seems to vary from year to year.

Its a great weekend and we look forward to going each time.

Not sure about the other sections but I believe the Championship Section (Elite?) set test piece is Diversions on a Bass Theme, followed by a 20 Minute Entertainment set.
    There's also the Open march contest and an oppportunity to play outide.
    Also featured normally each night is a Gala concert put on by a visiting and local band.

2. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

We're going

Flowers Band will be making it's third trip to the French Open in June.

Definitely a class weekend!

3. swiss-hoerndli

swiss-hoerndli New Member

@ killenr

My Band went last year to the French Open in Amboise! It's really a greate experience, I am afraid that we went just for one time... perhaps another time. Wish you good luck and lot of fun!!!

Were you also in the Bar by the River?

I hope you understand my english... :oops:

4. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

The Ransome Band will be competing, and have been asked to perform the Gala Concert.

Sam

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Middleton are 90% certain of going - just a few students to confirm that exams won't clash and then we'll know for sure.

Can't wait!!

6. postie

postie Member

Bestwood aren't going but very interesting test piece selection 1 Comedy Overture 2 Tam O'Shanter's Ride 3 Partita 4 Divertimento . Interesing they have got Tam as a Section 2 Piece mmmm

7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Hooray Hooray Hooray!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :woo :woo :woo

8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I think Lockwood Brass from the North are going again

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I went a few times with my old youth band... the cocktail bar by the river is great!

10. Bazza

Bazza Member

I can go!!!! woohoo! my exams finish on the 25th May so France here i come!! think nearly everyone else is ok too!! yay! :p

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Elite?
    Open
    French Open
    Amboise
    UK
  12. And I'll be on the bus with you coz I don't have any exams :) Ha!!!

13. Bazza

Bazza Member

Oh joy of joys!!! that'll be a fun bus journey, just remember eurodisney!?! laura in confined spaces!!! aaaaaaah!! just jokin ;)

14. ignore me

ignore me Member

Where is Amboise?
    I'm living in Toulouse right now and haven't been anywhere near a brass band since last summer. Sounds like an excellent weekend

15. Yep! It's quite a schlong bus ride as well if i remember rightly!

16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

It is south west of Paris. Nearest main town is Tours.

17. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Wish I was going! I went 3 times with my old band (Horsham) before I came to uni. Great Weekend!

18. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I went with Thoresby in 2003, it was a great weekend! Wish I was going again!

19. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Definitely shlong! I wonder if we'll have Captain Ken on board, hope not what a nightmare that would be!

20. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

I was there just once - for the very first contest in 1995. We were the only British band taking part and we won by a mile! I've never had such an extended standing ovation after a contest performance. The prize was pretty good too - some new Courtois horns, and they flew us all back over to Amboise the following July as guests of honour for the Bastille Day celebrations.

Is there still a bar called 'Le Comedie' down on the main road?

21. Podgypickle

Podgypickle Member

Hello your english is great....don't worry!!!!!!! We spent most of the weekend along the banks of that river in various bars and restaurants. It was great to meet so many new (and some old) friends. I bumped into a couple I hadn't seen in 7 years who had moved to France, what a surprise

We had a fantastic time last year....can't wait to go again, see you there :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Elite?
    Open
    French Open
    Amboise
    UK