Who's going to Crawley?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Accidental, May 10, 2004.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Trying to find out who's entered Crawley entertainments contest next Sunday (16th). Heard a rumour Imps will be there - can anyone confirm/deny that?!

I haven't got a clue who's in section B (sorry!). As far as I know section A includes Alder Valley, Brighton, Chichester, Friary and Staines...... anyone know any more?
  2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Well I'll be there helping out Egham Training band in Section B, so I might bump into you!, not sure if we are staying for section A, I hope so.
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Chichester will be there as well as our training band!
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'll be there helping out Sandhurst Silver on either front row or flugelhorn!
  5. louise0502

louise0502 Member

i'll be there with our youth band in the youth section!
  6. the fish

the fish Member

We're playing in the A section.

IYOUNG Member

What time do things kick off then?
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

10am I think.

Now I know I'm doing flugel! (Is it ethical to reveal what pieces you're playing?)
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not before the contest Dave!
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Oh dear. Bl**dy trumpeters, what do we know about the banding scene, eh? ;-)

Wot, not even in an Entertainment Contest??? ;-) I only say because I'm having kittens about one of the pieces we're playing! (Meow!) :lol:
  11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

So this would be from CATS then :wink:
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Looks like it'll be a good day for flugel fans then!
    Still trying to find out about Yorkshire Imps - would be nice to know just how scared we should be! :lol:
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nope, the 'meow' was me having another kitten (tasted yummy! ;-))
  14. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Gonna be having a busy day as I'm there with the trade stand and also conducting Amersham Band.
  15. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Hi. I'll make myself known to you Jan Newton has been telling me your programme sounds good stuff and just the sort of thing I might be interested in.

Ian Young
    Musical Director
    Marlow Band

no more than 10 miles from Amersham
  16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Two replies in one -

Dave - I don't think there is too much of a problem discussing programmes as it is open adjudication and each band is introduced as it enters the stage anyway!

Ian - I look forward to meeting you - it's always pleasing when the band (or at least one player) likes the selection.
  17. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Good luck Nigel i hope you don't work Beth to hard.
  18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

That's what I thought! ;-)
  19. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

From Scaba

With an "open" adjudication contest, it probably doesn't matter at all if bands discuss their programmes in this way. Also, with a "fixed" test piece contest, discussing one's rehearsal experiences, likes & dislikes etc. probably doesn't matter, as everybody is playing the same test piece.

The following is extracted from an email received from the Scaba Contest manager for Crawley:

"Clearly, the main risk is with an "own choice" contest, like the SCABA contests at Hove and Folkestone, where bands could potentially identify themselves to the Adjudicator through such discussions. While I don't see this as a serious problem, it could make a nonsense of having closed adjudication and draws and could lead to some friction between bands.

While there is no question of contest organisers being able to "stop" this kind of discussion, I would recommend that bands try to avoid identifying their final choice of test piece for "own choice" contests. However, the canvassing of suggestions/opinions and discussion of the relative merits of different possible test pieces can only be helpful, to bands and their MDs, and does not pose any risk to the fairness of the contests. Of course, injudicious remarks about musical works could lead to litigation, so some thought is required before making rude remarks on the Internet ;-)"