Who's already started playing Christmas?!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Crazysop, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I was just wondering if any one else has started their Christmas programme rehearsals yet?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    one
    programme rehearsals
    Christmas
    Christmas programme rehearsals
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

we started a coulpe of weeks ago. i keep rebelling against my cornet and playing the sleigh bells, cos they rock!!

4. davidsait

davidsait Member

Well, with only one rehearsal a week and only 3 weeks left of term, yes, we've started rehearsals on Christmas music.

5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Worse than that, we have had to rehearse Christmas pieces for the past few weeks as we did a recording for Radio Wales last Sunday of Celebration, a Christmas service, to be broadcast on BBC Radio Wales on Sunday December 19th at 8a.m.

6. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Not touched it yet :D

I suspect we'll start next week after the Wilkinsons contest

7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Ditto!

8. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

We started last Wednesday.

Personally I don't mind this year as we have just bought some new pieces so we aren't bashing through the same old arrangements.

Last night I felt really Christmassy as we played "Merry Christmas Everyone"

9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

we are well into rehursing for our youth and junior band concert.
    its the first time that the youngsters have done one of there own for christmas and they are well excited.

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We started on the Christmas music Sunday. Usually get it out for our rehearsal immediately after we've played at the Rememberance Service in the village. Our first Christmas concert's on the 3rd December, so not much time to get any good stuff up. First rehearsal we ran through a few standards just to see how they went, Christmas Crackers, Piece, Lullaby etc which were OK. Then tried Ray Farr's Toika, great piece but it's going to need some work.

We usually have a 50/50 mix and we've been working on Roger's Zulu and Do-Re-Mi; well the films are always on at Christmas anyway so they count as Christmas music in my book.

Last job will be on the 20th; we've got 4 Christmas concerts, 2 outdoor jobs (Chatsworth and Clumber), 4 carols only and 1 masonic dinner.

11. brass journo

brass journo Member

we have our first Christmas concert on 27 November for our sponsors but have only had time in rehearsals to run through one xmas piece so far! did some Christmas carols at a 10-piece job last sunday and have three days of xmas carols this weekend for 1-piece jobs!!

I'm sure it gets earlier every year!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    one
    programme rehearsals
    Christmas
    Christmas programme rehearsals
  13. Owen S

Owen S Member

We've been mostly practicing Christmas music since the Friday after Folkestone, a month ago, though some of it is pretty complex.

Last night we had Celestial Morn out, preparing for our guest soloist at our main concert on Saturday 4th December, Steve Sykes. The concert will be in Egham, with a brass masterclass earlier in the day. The following weekend, on the 11th, we're playing another concert in Luton.

Other than that, we have a few parades and events, starting with a "Victorian Fayre" tomorrow night in Sunninghill (Ascot). We'll try to fit in a few carolling gigs as well, including the traditional Saturday before Christmas, when we always play hungover from the Christmas dinner.

14. Bazza

Bazza Member

It sucks, i love christmas but after playin the same things year after year it does drag a bit!!
    hope band was ok last night, i was stuck here doin my boring dissertation, will be finished soon, i think?!?! ;)
    see you thursday!

xxx

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We got the Christmas music out a couple of weeks ago, but we always end up using the carol book for the majority of engagements. We're caroling for about 25-30 hours over Christmas (can't wait!) so we don't really want to practise too much!!

16. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Soundhouse Brass are playing on 6 Wednesdays in row all the way up to Xmas at a local Garden Centre, starting tomorrow night!
    We have our own Xmas concert on the 4th December which we hope will be a sell out and then its the usual supermarket jobs up to Xmas Eve to raise funds for next year.

17. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

It was surprisingly good, we got some new stuff out!!, u better be there on thursday coz we missed your dulcet tones!!!! :wink:

18. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Salford University's Adelphi Brass Band started Christmas Cheese last Friday for our chrimbo concert programme... concert on the 15th December...
    A week before Christmas.... awwwww ;-)

I love it :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Bazza

Bazza Member

well apparently, according to the chronicles of kevin i dont have a big enough, round sound?!! apparently i need a bigger mouthpiece?!? the nerve! only jokin, love u really kev!!
    i like bein missed when i'm not there!!
    xx

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We hardly do much in the way of chritsmas stuff, that suits us fine when we do Concerts round Christmas time, the odd christmas theme thing but nothing over the top so the audience are not falling alsleep and the band thinking "HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS LEFT":)

21. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Your sound is great!!! your just disabled by the barking next door putting u off constantly, but thats besides the point!!!!

We got silly season coming with 3 main band and about 5 youth band jobs not to mention 4 weekends solid 9-5 carrolling. How many times did we play jingle bells last year? i I think it worked out at something ridiculous like about 1536 times. No wonder we had rubber lips in January!!!!

22. groovy

groovy Active Member

Yup we've been rehearsing a few weeks now and we're out every weekend till Xmas, plus a few in between. The joy of Christmas! :D

More importantly I've got my carolling outfit sorted - woolly hat, thermal legwarmers, gloves, thick socks, scarf and loads of jumpers as well as band uniform!