Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by HorniKaz, Aug 11, 2005.

1. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Oh dear!!

Due to my dog being a very large pain the rear end, I have just managed to drop my lovely Samsung E720 phone into a full mug of tea. And now its a bit dead!!

Has anyone got any advice?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yeah get a new 'phone.

And a new dog!
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Speaking with the experience of someone who's daughter has drowned not one, but TWO phones. ;)

Take it to pieces and let it dry out and cross your fingers. ;)

The first one, "bottle of water split in school bag and drowned phone". This one never did recover. :(

2nd one! Apple bobbing over a bath and phone slipped from pocket into bath. Dried out and eventually did work again, but packed up a couple of weeks later. :(

These were both Nokia 3330s.
  4. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Ooh i didn't tell you about yesterday did i mum??

Well i spilt my orange juice over my desk.. and it went in my phone, so I had to take it all apart and dry it.. But it's working fiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnne :):rolleyes:
  5. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i did that with coffee once.
    best thing to do.. take it apart and put it in the airing cupboard to dry for a while. i had to do that with my first ever fone... altho it wasnt a dog, it was my brother that did it. grrr
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your phone Kaz, unfortunately I can better that one...I had a rather bad day yesterday too!! I was driving out of our car park at work, saw a car driving down the road so went to slow down, but somehow my foot slipped off the brake and I crashed straight in to the side of his brand bew Mercedes A class!! :-(

I stoved all the side of his car in and our Golf pretty much needs new everything at the front!!! Not a very happy 2md!

Hurt my wrist in the bump somehow, got home and stepped in some spilled water in the garage then cos my foot was wet I slipped on the shiny kitchen floor, landed on my sore wrist and twisted my ankle...then later on my daughter threw the wobbly to end all wobblies which took FOREVER to sort out..so I went to bed last night expecting the Grim Reaper to tuck me in!! It was a bit of a bonus to actually wake this morning.

Lets see what today holds in store. *bites nails feverishly*

7. zak

zak Member

Drink from a smaller mug in future then there's less chance of a phone fitting in!!!!!! :D
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Jeez 2md, what a day.

As for the phone, take out the battery immediately as this is what usually causes the damage. Most modern integrated circuits will still work after being drowned and then dried out. Unfortunately I don't think the little Samsungs are that easy to take apart and put back together.
  9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I know its not nice to laugh at others misfortunes but ive got to! Hee hee :) :)

While were on the subjects of phones, need some advice myself! seeign as i have practically worn my phone out i feel the need to get a new one but i cant decide which one i want, Ive always been a nokia person, and like the nokia 6230 and 6230i but i also like the look of the samsung E720
    any ideas as to which one is better?

(if it helps i've never drowned my phone!!)
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

The Nokia 6680 is the phone of choice at the moment but it's being chased by a pack of Sony Ericssons, the V600i , K750i and W800i.
  11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've ruined 2 mobiles whilst punting on the Cam. First one - Fell in with it in my pocket. 2nd time, took my phone out of my pocket just in case I fell in and put it in plastic bag with stash of beer. Then forgot I'd put it in the bag and dangled it in the river to keep the beer cool.

How stupid did I feel :oops:
  12. Lisa

Lisa Member

Ooh, I have just got a nokia 6230i - I was entitled to a free upgrade! :) I really like it - it looks really pretty and the thing that really fascinates me about it is that it can play mp3 files. :biggrin: My last phone was a Sony Ericsson which I didn't really like! I think Nokias are definitely much better!

I too have managed to drown my phone once. I was out on a bike ride on a lovely sunny day when all of a sudden there was the worst flash rainstorm I have ever known! I got completely drenched and so did my bag and mobile phone :(. (It was quite fun though - there is something very freeing about getting drenched in the rain! :biggrin:
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

My next phone's gonna be the Sony Ericsson K750i - have a k700i at the minute and have been very happy with it these last 11 months - so see no reason to change breed! Plus the fact that I despise Nokias has some bearing on my decision!
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Wouldn't swap my old Nokia 6210 for anything.

It's incredibly hardy - it survived a four story bouncing fall down a concrete staircase, a direct 20 foot drop the the raised seating at this year's Areas, and survived being sat upon by a rather large person, who didn't notice that they were sitting on it....
  15. HorniKaz

How bad do I feel now moaning about drowning my phone.:( OK Crawfy, you definately win!! Hope you're wrist, ankle, Golf etc etc are all better soon!!:tup

16. Di

Di Active Member

Awww poor Kaz, poor Crawf. Group hug needed me thinks.

17. NeilW

NeilW Member

I have seen it said (and have known people who've tried it) that if you've drowned your phone in anything other than very clean water, the best thing to do is to:

a) take the battery out
    b) dip it AGAIN, but in *distilled* water (that way it washed all the impurities out, and doesn't dry leaving any residue (which could conduct electrickery)
    c) dip again in fresh distilled water (so, dip it twice)
    c) let it dry out completely before putting the battery back in and hoping for the best (if you can get it apart, its a good thing to dry it "open")

Hope its OK....

And 2MD - what a day. Hopefully today's better

18. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

poor kaz.Bet you even had to make another cup of tea!!!!
  19. HorniKaz

Phone switches on & doesn't make a gurgling sound anymore :) but none of the buttons do anything. Can't even switch it back off which is strange because it's the same button used to turn the stupid thing on with :mad:

Anyone have an idea if my Orange Care would cover my phone? Problem is, only took that out a couple of days before the tea incident happened!! Should I try the distilled water bath or could that make thinks worse if I am covered??
  20. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Don't know nothing about 'Orange care', but in my experience you should explore insurance possibilities before 'should work' fixes.

(I once blew a - probably faulty - PC motherboard, and contacted the insurance after the event. Because the insurance was in place before the fault was reported to the manufacturer, insurance coughed up...:clap: )

Chase the insurance - worst they can say is 'No', in which case, wash away, nothing to lose ...:D - if they say yes, Sorted :biggrin: