Whoops have I sent a virus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, May 10, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Each month I draft up a band newsletter in Word and I occasionally change a small logo on the front page - as we are going to Scotland later this month I copied an image off Google Images of some pipers and included that.

Now I've sent this initially to our press officier - he amended and sent back and I then sent out to our mailing list. One person was unable to open it and then apparently it shut down his Word programme completly and he cannot now use Word - missing an exe file.

I have anti-virus software in my email and computer - no signs, I've even sent myself the document as email - again checked by Yahoo as virus free - at the moment no one else has indicated a problem.

Any suggestions as to whether I can have unwittingly sent a virus - the only thing that is different from previous Newsletters was the inclusion of the pipers image which was taken off an American College website and I've had no problems going on there too (Oh it's not one of those type of college websites - if you know what I mean)
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

From your scenario, has it actually been confirmed that his machine has a virus, and if so, which one? Just because Word crashed doesn't automatically mean that the machine is infected, because Word's got its own bugs. And any time a program crashes it has the potential to leave the machine in an inconsistent state, so that could explain the missing .EXE file.

Since no one else that received the email seems to be having a problem, I'd be more inclined to think that the problem is local to that machine, and if it is a virus, it may not have come via your mailing.

(Just as an aside - just because you find an image on Google Images does not mean that it's in the public domain - they do not check copyright when they crawl sites.)
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

From your description its likely that instead of attaching the picture itself you have embedded a link to the site hosting the picture.
    If the person opening the mail has a firewall preventing the Word application from accessing the internet then it might cause some unexpected behaviour.
    I don't actually think its possible to spread a virus through picture files.
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The above both sound right and yes there was a link in the picture to the original website - Ctrl+click. No one else had the problem and Shaggy, who did, managed to sort out his Word by deleting some sort of error file that had been created on his machine.