Who would you travel to see?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassyboy, May 3, 2008.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

I wonder if you were to make a major effort to see a brass soloist or band etc who would you choose?

Would you travel and pay to see them and what makes them worth it?

I know that outside of the expected bands there are those surprises like Mnozil that can get people like me to travel from far and wide to see them.

Outside of a competition is any single performer, concert or event worth a two hundred mile journey just to be there?

Cheers

BB

2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Richard Marshall for me.

I heard him from backstage at the British Open gala concert last year playing Blessed assurance and it sounded mindnumbingly good. Although it would depend if dyke were accomopnying because if they weren't i probably wouldn't go.

3. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Brass Band Oberosterrich or however you spell it!

They are class!

And Mnozil of course!

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Jon Faddis

('nuff said)

[... especially if he were fronting a big band, rather than some of the small group jazz he sometimes plays, not that he doesn't play just as well, it's just that the small group jazz doesn't 'do it' for me musically ...]

5. Veri

Veri Member

I will certainly travel to see Black Dyke if they are playing within 90 minutes of Oxford - I've been (and dragged boyfriend/Mum along) to Birmingham several times, also Northampton and High Wycombe. And London.

My birthday treat was a trip to Leeds (3 hours drive!) to go to the Black Dyke Brass Arts Festival!!

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Check out the listings for the International Trumpet Guild Conference this year - that is a lineup worth travelling to Banff for.

I have yet to see an ITG lineup that isn't worth travelling for.

As for specific groups - I would travel to see Rhythm & Brass again, a unique group that NEED to make it over to the UK eventually.

7. agentorange

agentorange Member

We made a bit of a mad trip to see Mnozil last year.

Alarm set for silly o'clock on Saturday morning, then flew from Doncaster to Amsterdam. Picked up the hire car, drove to Groningen, a bite to eat, watched the concert, then a few beers and bed. Up early on Sunday, Journey in reverse and (just about!) back in time for our rehearsal in Hull that evening.

8. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Brilliant! What a trip and they are well worth it, I bet!
    Though I have to ask, did you also see them at 'BRASS' in Durham last July? As is only 2hrs away from you may have saved a trip!

Maybe you did both!

If you missed it at 'BRASS' watch out for next year as I believe they have Mnozils new show already booked in, oh and keep an eye on it this year just in case something else comes up!

As you like obviously enjoy a good trip is there anyone else you would travel for?

BB

9. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Richard Marshall and Jens Lindeman
    Bandwise, Cory. No competition. Though Black Dyke are in Cornwall tonight and I will be listening to them in approx. 4 hours!!
    SOOOO excited!!

10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Great choice!
    LEGEND!! :woo

Brilliant guy. I'd somehow forgotten about him from last easter.:eek: :eek: :eek:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheers BB
    Mnozil
    event
    brass soloist
    single performer
  12. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Bones Apart, Christian Lindberg, Joe Alessi, Ian Bousfield.
    Mnozill Brass, Onyx Brass.
    Dyke, Cory.

Few others. If it's of good quality then I would go see it.

13. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Urbie Green....Arturo sandoval.....Bill watrous....Gordon Campbell...

John Fedchock....The airmen of Note.....Dave steinmeyer.....

Harry Connick Jnr....to name a few

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Canadian Brass
    The ISB
    Brass in Concert championships

15. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

The Mods in drag

16. agentorange

agentorange Member

Yeah, we did Durham too. And Uppermill on Friday!

17. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I have travelled extensively from my home about 60 miles west of Toronto specifically to hear a number of performances:

New York City - ISB; Canadian Staff Band
    Nottingham - Black Dyke - ISB
    London - 1974 - Maurice Murphy was the main attraction for me that year
    London - 19?? - Primarily to hear my good friend Robert Foster play So Glad in the RAH
    Detroit; Flint; Ottawa - ISB
    Detroit - Ray Steadman-Allen
    In August this year, I'll be driving to Old Orchard Beach, Maine to hear the ISB.

Los Angeles - Jens Lindemann (while I didn't specifically go to LA to hear Jens I was lucky enough to hear him while there).

18. Went to watch Black Dyke last night but only had to travel 10 mins!

very good concert though! another differant face on the sop seat! they go through them quicker then my sister gets through boyfriends

19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I would have to see Black Dyke Band. Anyday anywhere!!

Roger Webster, Jo Cook, Richard Marshall. Not too keen on chamber brass groups but hey I am always game.

20. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Canadian Brass umm! I was talking with someone who thought that Canadian Brass were easily as good, maybe even better than Mnozil but I have never seen them perform.

Has anyone out there seen both to make a judgement or are they just two different things, both as good as each Other?

21. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Although not seen either, Canadian and Mnozil are two different groups, stylistically mainly though. Correct me if i am wrong.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheers BB
    Mnozil
    event
    brass soloist
    single performer