Who Would You Like to See?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by trumpetmike, Jul 19, 2005.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This has been posted on other brass forums, but I thoght that it might be interesting to see what he opinions of the brass band world were as well, so here goes.

Whilst at ITG (the International Trumpet Guild Conference) I had the chance to have a few drinks with Philip Biggs, Murray Greig and loads of other guys who were discussing the various performers that might be coming over to the UK in the future, as well as the possibility of a UK Trumpet Conference of some description.

With such a great resource as this, I thought I would ask - who would you like to see (and doing what) at a conference or concert series?

If you had to choose from the performers based in the UK, who would you choose?

PLEASE NOTE - this is NOT designed to put together a definitive list, I am just interested in who people might want to see. IF anything happens, in the way of a conference or concert, you will find out through posts on all sorts of websites.

So, let's hear your ideas

Personally (I might as well start the ball rolling):

Groups I would like to hear at such an event:

Black Dyke (always a pleasure)
    Summit Brass
    Brass Band Battle Creek (the current line up)
    Boston Brass

Individual Performers:

Ed Tarr
    Reinhold Friedrich
    David Hickman
    Jens Lindemann
    Allen Vizzutti
    Sam Pilafian (well, I couldn't put a complete list of trumpeters here [​IMG])

Who would I like to hear masterclasses/lectures/discussions from?

Denis Wick - the changing face of the brass section (a continuation of his recent ITG article). Denis is a fascinating guy to talk to about the history of the brass sections of the major UK orchestras. Not only has he played in many of them (and known just about everyone) he has also got the most amazing memory for who played where and with whom.
    David Hickman - his teaching methods (heard it twice - still enjoying it [​IMG])
    Maurice Murphy - a discussion about his life

I am sure you will all come up with much better suggestions than I have - and I am sure you will also provoke me into further thought.

At the moment the line-up is quite orchestrally/trumpet biased - I wonder what differences there might be now I am posting this in cornet territory ;)

So - let's hear some ideas
    You never know, someday they might be a reality

Looking forward to the thoughts of you guys and gals
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I suppose a private concert with Girls Aloud performing naked would be out of the question? ;)
  3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Fantastic... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wish I could still give you rep... :clap: :clap:
  4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

For me, It would have to be London Brass.
  5. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Mnozil Brass - fantastic ensemble from Germany

Wynton in a masterclass

YBS in the Sydney Opera this summer!

Grimey in any concert
  6. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

He is the best musician I have ever neen to see...

If you get the chance, you must see him, NO EXCUSES!!
  7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Assuming they don't have to be English:

• James Morrison
    • James Morrison
    • James Morrison
    Think thats it? :woo
  8. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

James Morrison
    LSO Brass
    Hakan Hardenberger
    Black Dyke (of course)
    John Wallace
    Derek Watkins
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Add Philip Smith and let your imagination fly............
  10. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Even if I am not from Engalnd , so I wont be there, I am suprised no one has mentioned German Brass.

An amazing ensemble.
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed, German Brass would be high on my list. I thought up until the mid 1990s, they were pretty ordinary at best, but they've improved out of sight in recent years.

Summit Brass, Boston Brass, London Brass, Mnozil Brass... spoilt for choice, really. Dyke certainly, Roger Webster, Allen Vizutti, Sergei Narariakov, Battle Creek Brass Band... I'd also go for Howard Snell. Maybe he doesn't play these days but a wealth of experience at both orchestral (Maurice Murphy's predecessor at the LSO, I believe) and band levels; and someone who I personally think was instrumental (pardon the pun) in instigating major improvements in the standards of brass bands everywhere and certainly opening bands' eyes up to a whole new repertoire, even if they had to be arranged.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would pay to see the classy Berlin Philharmonic Brass playing over here & Christian Lindberg is always great to see and hear.
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

with the addition of Jon Faddis. :biggrin:

I've heard that Roger Ingram does very good masterclasses as well.
  14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Still mainly orchestral names. What about some band representation? In addition to the previously mentioned Black Dyke and Roger Webster, I would suggest:

David Dawes
    Sheona White
  15. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Concert Series - YBS without a doubt

Masterclass - David Daws

Individual Recital/Performance - Simon Lenton from Fine Arts Brass.
  16. alks

alks Member

Yes David Daws ....simply amazing on the cornet.