Who works on Bank Holidays?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flugelgal, Apr 12, 2004.

?

At work on Easter Monday?

1. Yes

87.8%
  2. No

9.8%
  3. Don't work so it doesn't matter...

2.4%
  1. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

As I sit here at my desk I'm wondering how many other people are working on this Bank Holiday... Let me rephrase that... how many are at work today?

Kirsty

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thing
    work
    Bank Holidays
    works
    annoying thing
  3. Despot

Despot Member

No, but if my shift had scheduled me on, I would be! I'm not off work because of the bank holiday, it's just the way my shift worked out! :D

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I ended up going into work for 45 mintues today.

I'm jetting off tomorrow, but laden down with stuff for band late on Thursday, opted to bring a disk with relevant files on home, and print them off.

When I tried to open the documents yesterday, they proved to be corrupted.

As these documents included basic things like where specifically to go in Liverpool and Manchester, I had to retrieve them.

Grrrrrrrrr...

Ordinarily, though, no.

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Not a holiday for most of us in the US. Just another Monday. :cry:

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

hehehehe
    Am delighted to say no! to this one. Last Easter there we were in sopprt mode for clients in the Middle east, which meant being on call when they started work - i.e. 5:30 am on Easter Sunday/Monday morning...
    Thankfully - have got someone else to cover that one this year

p.s. Enjoy work ;)

7. Chuckles-tuba

Chuckles-tuba Member

I'm in today(for 10 hours!!), unfortunate that I'm not spending the day with my family and unfortunate that I'm missing going to the footie.

But hey it's double time think of the next payday :D :D

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'll remember that next time I'm at home and you're still working all the hours under the sun young man! :lol:

Double time? What's that? :cry: :cry: :cry:

9. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I don;t work all the hours under the sun. That would mean getting up at 6 o clock, and that makes Kepps a disgruntled chap.

I work all the hours not under the sun!

10. picju96

picju96 Member

I did 5 hours.

11. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I'm workin too, unfortunately not on double time though :roll:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thing
    work
    Bank Holidays
    works
    annoying thing
  13. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

What's a bank holiday?!! :D

I've just got home from work. Only a four hour shift today though, so it was alright!!

And I did three hours on Good Friday too :(

14. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i dont work so :p

start in june, working at gullivers land (theme park for youger kids :D)

15. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

That's not Gullivers Kingdom in Matlock bath is it???

No i am pleased to say that i am not working today! :D

16. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Yep i did had to work thursday friday and saturday too. But got time an a half for friday and today so i'm just thinking of my pay packet!

17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I can't understand many people who work bank holidays cos its double time. Think about it - if you were going to get paid for it anyway and you go in and do a shift you are only really being paid at normal time for the work you do plus the money you were going to get for free anyway. Thats a really bad deal.
    And of course if you are getting time and a half you are effectively working for half your normal rate - thats just stupid.

18. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

well if it worked like that then i wouldn't but we just get one of our other shifts off on another day an get paid for that as normal, therefore we still get the money for one days work that were aren't working and on top of that we get paid for the work we did on the bank holiday paid time an a half on top of that.

19. mad_female

mad_female Member

Hi All

I'm working today, I started nights last night and work from 21:30 to approx 08:00...as I work for the NHS we all have to do our share of night's weekends and bank holidays so it's just another working day/night for me

Rhian :lol:

Mad_female (NHS midwife)

20. markyboy

markyboy Member

I have to work Bank holidays apart from Christmas day, but I do get paid double time as well.
    The days are long gone when people always got Bank Holidays, shops shut at 5pm (and on Sundays) etc.
    I think thats because Britain has now become a Retail country instead of a Manufacturing country.

21. ju33les

ju33les Member

I've just finished 7 long long night shifts starting last Monday night , last night being my final one....so no Bank Holiday for me :( ...unfortunately we don't let our clients out for the weekend!
    This is also an explanation as to why hubby has been posting a lot on the forum over the last week....!
    On a high note though...I get this next week off and so have just put the finishing touches to my packing for a week in Benidorm(and yes, hubby comes too!)
    :D
    Like the NHS worker, I don't get any extra pay or time off either! :cry:

22. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

not me! Had a lovely 4 day weekend of drinking and lazing about (there are some around here that can testify to the drinking part) and not thinking about gas meters at all! Bliss! :D