Who will be at Leamington

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Nov 2, 2004.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Who is going to the Leamington contest on 28th November?

I will be there with Brackley.

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'll (hopefully) be there with Warwick Uni

3. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Got a call last week from my old band asking me to help out. See you all in the bar! (tMP badge will be in use this time as well....)

4. davidsait

davidsait Member

I'll be there with Warwick.

There isn't a championship section though at Leamington this year - not enough entries.

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We entered! Not sure if anyone else did though. How's the uni band shaping up this year, Dave?

6. rutty

rutty Active Member

I'll be there helping Ibstock out. No doubt the bar will get some use again :)

7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Not unless you are very quick - it always shuts early. Shame no top section, although it means that the trade stands can legitimately close early :x

We're going purely to support the association...personally dont like venue, facilites or the paltry prize money

8. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Got to disagree. I really like playing in that hall, but dont no why, and on my visits there, I have found it to be a very well run contest.

As for the rest of the facilities..... cant agree more. I helped out City of Oxford in the top section last year, and the bar closed before we even played, and the trade stands were non-existant.

Money is something that is expected now in the contesting world (and lots of it).... but dont we do banding for the fun of it at the end of the day?????

9. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Venue- was meant to be overall venue. Lack of changing & warm up facilities, cramped foyer etc. not just the hall which itself is OK. and yes the WMBBA do a an OK job of organisation

Not going down another route but...£150 first prize doesn't even cover costs to get the band there. People have complained on this forum about lack of support for contests - See here for another case, but given the choice between doing a concert that earns money or a contest where you are going to definately lose out (taking in th ecost of MD, travel etc), even if you do win, what would you do?
    Sad fact of life, but a band has to make money over a year to survive.

Speaking to a few West Midlands bands at Pontins - they are all in similar position - debating if it will acutally be worth going after this year.

Anyway - moan over. back on topic :) who else is going to Leamington

10. davidsait

davidsait Member

Oooooh - that would be telling! Don't want to give the game away incase the opposition are listening in! Shhh! :)

As for Championship section, well for the first time in a while I know City of Cov entered, and I know that only three bands did (I reckon the other band was probably Staffs - they usually support Leam rather well). WMBBA said they needed 5 bands to make the section worthwhile.

For completeness I know that 8 bands entered 4th section, 5 entered 3rd section and 8 entered 2nd section. Don't know about the 1st section.

Warwick will be there, in full force, no doubt doing silly things like mexican waves whilst the adjudicator (anyone know who that is this year?) makes up his mind. We'll probably be inhabiting our sponsors, The Robins Well, for a few cheeky ones, and seeing who makes the survivors curry.

This is my last year at Warwick but I'm pretty sure that they'll continue to support Leamington - it's ideally placed in the term for us, and is only just around the corner. For many it's the social highlight of the term!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leamington
    contest
    Brackley
    Leamington contest
    November
  12. Steve Earley

Steve Earley New Member

East London Brass are venturing up to this one.

Steve Earley
    MD, ELB

13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Just read the band list... I'll definitely be there...

14. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Sad to say that Carlton Brass will not be there tis year due to player commititments