Who were the band at the Great North cross country run?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Couldn't quite read their stand banners on the telly. Anybody know who they were/ were any tmpers playing?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Great North
    Great North cross country run
    stand banners
    telly
    band
  3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I thought it said Houghton Brass. May be wrong though.

Igg

4. g.n.c.c.r.b.b.

only saw it briefly but i agree with igg, looked like houghton brass, north east near durham, neva heard of them tho, and their music sounded really cheezy, lol

5. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Did someone mention cheese Gromit?

6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Re: g.n.c.c.r.b.b.

I know what you mean, it was floral dance and music from brassed off, but I suppose that's what they were paid to play. Doubt the organisers would have been to impressed with Prague.

7. south bank

south bank New Member

CROSS COUNTRY RUN BAND

THE BAND IN QUESTION WAS HORDEN (BHK)UK BAND WHO I BELIEVE ARE IST SECTION NATIONAL CHAMPS

Mod: Thanks for the info, but in future can you please avoid posting in capitals, as it is viewed as "shouting". Thank you

8. south bank

south bank New Member

upper case

my apologies for using capitals i stand chastised and promise it will never happen again
    brian
    baritone
    south bank band

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

was it just me or did they have a slight obsession with death or glory?

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Re: g.n.c.c.r.b.b.

No. the Czech locals wouldn't have known what had it them if the Great North Run had taken place there, let alone have a brass band descend on them and play Floral Dance..... ;-)

11. johnt

johnt New Member

The Band was Houghton Brass, formerly Houghton Schools Band. They are based at Houghton Le Spring between Durham and Sunderland and are a Second Section Band. They competed in the second section at the National Finals in Dundee.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Great North
    Great North cross country run
    stand banners
    telly
    band
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Re: CROSS COUNTRY RUN BAND

Nope, couldn't identify them but didn't look like Horden...

14. missflugel

missflugel Member

Thats because it wasn't us Colin!!!

15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Re: CROSS COUNTRY RUN BAND

WRONG!!!!!! (Shouting)

16. jambo

jambo Member

ouch Laurie..too loud, ha ha

thankyou south bank boy but holmesy and I have as little to do with running as possible even if its just playing at one.

Deffo not our beloved BHK (UK) Ltd Band.

sorry to dissapoint

:oops:

17. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Close but not quite. Tom Gibson conducted Hetton Band and used Houghton Schools Band where he was tutor as a feeder band for Hetton Band in the 70's and probably early 80's. When he left Hetton he eventually started up Houghton Brass to allow his players to carry on playing once they became too old for the youth band. Both bands are still going strong as seperate entities with Tommy still conducting. I was a founder member of Houghton Schools, played under Tommy at Hetton and played and conducted Houghton Brass many times. They are a good bunch.

18. Kernow

Kernow Member

I didn't see the run, but I have been told that the guy on the tele said that he didn't know who the band were but he couldn't recognize anything that they had played.
    My answer to him is "If you are so clever, you sit there in the freezing cold blowing your guts out and lets see how many pieces that you play we can recognize."
    Sorry I hate people like that.
    We all had to start somewhere and at the end of the day we are all musicians, but of varying standards.
    I have been told that the band were Houghton, well done for sticking it out lads and lasses.