Who was the youngest principal cornet player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, Jun 2, 2011.

1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

With the news that the young Mr Fountain is joining Grimethorpe on principal cornet, does anyone know who the youngest person was to sit in the principal's chair of one of our top bands? I believe James is now 17.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you're talking about Principal Cornet, then I reckon James Watson's appointment to Desford at the age of 11 would take some beating.

(Edit: sorry, just spotted thread title which confirms Principal Cornet :oops:)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  3. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

James is an old pro now - dont forget he was playing PC at the Open at the age of 15 with GUS......
  4. eflatbass

Amazing, isn't he? Even the great Derek Garside was 17 when joining Manchester CWS on principal cornet.
  5. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Richard Marshall was pretty young at Rothwell I seem to recall - maybe 15 - the same as James at GUS - I am sure someone will know.

I was PC of Hendon SA Junior Band at 10 if that counts for anything

6. eflatbass

Snap! (well almost) I was principal euph with Dudley SA YP Band at 11. There was only me on euphonium!

And, of course, I have not enjoyed the same illustrious career as yourself.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. eflatbass

Thanks, Peter. I reckon, therefore, that James Watson would have joined Desford around 1962. Do you know where Desford Band stood in terms of "status" at that time? I was still totally engrossed in SA bands during that time, so was not really aware of what was happening in the world of contesting.
  8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Didn't Camborne have a 14 year old as PC in the early 80's?
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So almost certainly around about the 3rd section - they were promoted to the 2nd in 1968, and to the Championship in 1969 or 1970
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

When my late father played with Aldridge&Brownhills Band in 1967 he played against Desford in 3rd Section.
  11. eflatbass

I suppose it could be argued, therefore, that Desford were not one of our top bands when James Watson joined them. A wonderful player, however, and sincerely missed.
  12. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Dean Wright (Principal Trumpet, WNO), Leyland, 13 years old.
  13. DobX_Trom

DobX_Trom New Member

i think Chris Woods was 16 when he joined top man at brighouse
  14. cat woman

cat woman New Member

David Horsfield - Brighouse & Rastrick - 16 years old
  15. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'll check :)

I'm fairly convinced that John Berryman was very young when he played top man at Camborne.
  16. simonium

simonium Member

It was Robert Tanner and if memory serves he was featured playing a solo on Best Of Brass. I nowehere near old enough to have seen it at the time, but have seen it on video.
  17. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

That's the one
  18. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Yes that was JB, he then moved to end chair at GUS when he was 19. JB was also a long serving PC of the NYBBGB as is James.
  19. wilky

wilky Member

sorry to go slightly off post, what happended to Robert Tanner, I still have a video of him playing a solo on Best of Brass 'High on a Hill' and he sounded very good!
  20. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

I think Tom Hutchinson was only 14, maybe even 13, when was Principal Cornet at Rothwell Temperance.