Who should sack a player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by claire co-op crewe, Sep 28, 2006.

1. claire co-op crewe

claire co-op crewe New Member

I am relatively new to playing in a brass band and am quite shocked at the way players are 'dispensed' with! :eek:
    What is the correct way to sack a playing member of a band and who should do it? :confused:
  2. 1st Position

1st Position Member

I suppose it all depends on the Band, and how they operate, and for what offence the player is being sacked for. I think really, if it is for musical reasons then the MD should do the job, for anything else either the committee, or perhaps the Band Sergeant.
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Many bands operate in different ways and nearly all of them have a different way of dealing with this sort of thing. I would say at the end of the day though that it should be the MD who should deal with the individual in question, no matter what the reason for sacking them.
  4. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Unless the MD owns and runs the Band, it should be the Band committee that decide this. It is then for one of the committee officers to do the deed.

The MD is generally an emplyee of a Band, not the Manager.
  5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I think it very much depends on the circumstances of the offence.

but either way if the band has a committee then even the MD cannot just sack a player he can suggest to the committee that a plyer be dismissed but not actually do it his/herself
  6. Nikki T

Nikki T Member

The MD and committee should make a joint decision and notify the player both verbally and in writing. However in some bands particularly the upper sections the MD has the right to sack people and this can cause problems with personality clashes and potential issues.
  7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Not in any band I've played in.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Interesting thread....

I am in two minds here as to if it is actually the MD's job to sack anyone. Of course, he/she has the say on playing parts, who sits where, and playing ability etc, and if a player doesn't make the grade playing wise then of course the MD should have the say in that person taking the stage and remaining a member. But for the MD to actually sack that person... hmmm.... not sure about that one.

One has to remember that the MD is often a 'contracted' or 'tenured' employee of the band and its management, and as such should they then have the right to sack anyone...?

Let the debate continue...
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's entirely possible that such practices are included in the contract though, John.

In the dim and distant past, it was my Dad who 'did the deed' - but the decisions we're committee / MD consulted. I've actually seen him do it to someone as they walked out of the hall following an Open performance :eek: .

Edit: I should qualify this by saying my Dad was the Secretary of the Band in question - but at that time he was also the equivalent of the Band Manager and Band Sergeant and all other similar roles summed into one.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  10. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

My thoughts also!

I have never been in a band where a player has been blatently sacked! Although i have seen players "encouraged" to leave. Whereby the MD has moved a player off one seat and brought someone else it to play that persons original position, resulting in the original leaving "through their own choce". This is obviously the tactical way to approach the subject.

As for a player actually being sacked!!:eek:

Any band in a position to be sacking players (unless they've done something so unthinkable that as a person you would not want to be associated with them) is very lucky indeed considering the state of the brass band movement and what appears to be the distinct lack of bums for seats at present.

Anyway, good thread, i've had my tuppence......NEXT!
  11. Bungle

Bungle Member

In a band the MD may not be able to sack players, but what do you do if the MD can't get on with a player, do you loose the player or MD? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and we are saying the MD shouldn't be the one to tell the player they are sacked?

I prefer the old method, you go into a rehearsal, you look under the chair to see if you name's chalked on the underside, if your names not there you're out. Harsh but fair ;) .
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'd say it is incumbent on the MD, and is his/her responsibility, to make best attempts to get on with everyone. It shouldn't matter if the MD likes or dislikes a particular player - players are not necessarily there with an objective for them of being "liked by the MD!!"

Any MD should have sufficient interpersonal skills so as to make the best of any situation and get on with everyone. If they don't, then I'd question their ability to command a band in a performance, and I'd question the management for their choice of MD.

I have nearly walked out of a band due to the MD being rude and intolerant. I was a lot younger then (15 yrs ago), but if I were in a band now and an MD acted in a similar manner, I'd have no hesitation in telling them what I thought of their relationship and team building skills, and walkinh out there and then. There's no place for rudeness in any bandroom.
  13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hmmm - a tricky one. THE BAND as a whole should have the final say. Every player is only a small part of THE BAND and any committed bandsperson would recognise what is for the best of the band. But i suppose it depends on the player and the MD in question. Although i agree with Musicman above, where it is the MD's job (and what they are employed by the band to do) to try to get along and comunicate with everyone, and to do their best with, and get the most out of the players they have in front of them. (IMHO!)
  14. persins

persins Member

I'm sure each band is slightly different although I suspect in most bands the Committee would have the ultimate say on whether a band member is sacked. I'm sure that the MD may influence this to a greater or lesser degree depending on the individual circumstances. Surely the actual fun of telling the person involved should fall to a committee member, as governed by the constitution of the band?
  15. horn1

horn1 Member

People seem to be assuming that there is usually an 'offence' that causes a player to be sacked.
  16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm not - I've seen people go for 'offences' and just for not being good enough.

One of the oddest things I've seen is in a book of Committee Meeting minutes that states...

"Mr X suggests that the Band gets a new horn section" :biggrin:

......and it was a serious comment :eek:
  17. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Sacked from a position or sacked as a member of the band? Two totally different things. ;)
  18. persins

persins Member

I think a similar process works for both.
    I would expect the committee and the MD to discuss this together with those involved to make the decision. The final decision would be from the committee although influenced by the MD.
  19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I'll do it :D

Id say...

"Look, its nothing personal, its just that nobody likes you, we dont mind you sitting in rehearsals, but your personal hygeine is so disgusting leave sweat marks on the seat, we thought the wet patch on the floor came from your water key until we saw your socks. The band would love to see you again, but preferably from a great distance, you reek? Your playing ability is also a minor issue, you sound like Les Dawson on his Piano, except when both hands are playing wrong? We wish you all the best of luck in the future, but secretly we hope to see you as a no hoper in some struggling band...

Thanks for coming

You've been a right laugh

20. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

in our band its any member of the committee who does the deed but iv known the conductor to do it also (even tho they didn't see it as sacking)

iv had someone in the band say it was MY responsibility 2 do it recently (im band sergeant) which made no sense because im not on the committee so technically shouldnt know about the reasons behind the situations! unless its an attendence issue (which in the example they were referrin 2 it most definitely wasn't)

anyway if it is my job mayb that means i can never get sacked :biggrin: and mayb i could dispose of "enrique" for playin pp too loud :wink: