Who scored THE best goal you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Oct 4, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

For me, for deftness of touch, control, and also the pressure of the situation at the time, Dennis Bergkamp for Holland against Argentina in the World Cup some years back (i forget which one exactly, someone may wish to enlighten me).

It was a long pass to the right hand side of the goal that he ran on to, sublimely and effortlessly pulled it down out of the air right on the dead ball line, flicked it back past the following defender and then beautifully placed it over the keepers head in to the far top corner of the net with the outside of his right foot.
    World Class. Pure genius.
  2. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Me, against White Horse in 1997
  3. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Steve Carr for Spurs v Man Utd in 2000. My 3rd visit to the Lane, and we won 3-1. Carr picked up possesion just outside our area, ran 70 yards before launching the ball into the far top corner. Best game I have ever been to, and it took a couple of days to get my voice back after! Think it actually got goal of the season as well :clap:
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Justin Fashanu v Liverpool in about 1980.

Fashanu with his back to goal, on the RH side of the penalty area and being marked tightly by the Liverpool defender. The ball is played to Fashanu's feet, he flicks it up turns and volleys it into the top far corner of the net. It was that good even opposition supporters in their armchairs leapt up and applauded when seeing it on Match of the Day that night.

It won Goal of the season that year too.

btw Crawf the World Cup goal for Bergkamp was USA 1994!
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

As a Scot this one sticks in my craw but you have to acknowledge genius. Gazza against Scotland at the Euro Championships in England. Absolutely wonderful the way he made a prat out of big braveheart.

Better than that, though I've only ever seen it on television, is Archie Gemmil against Holland at the Argentina 78 World Cup.
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Best Wolves goals
    Temuri Kesbia Vs Sheffield Weds 2000 - Wednesday goalie gets sent off for handling outside the area , free kick was a net buster
    Vs Bristol City 6-1 away win all were scorchers from we even made FHM as club mascot Wolfie got city cat a bit annoyed!!!! started a fight and got walloped by the former bouncer in the wolf costume
    Vs West Brom 4-2 hammering of the baggies , Bully and the toothless ginger ninja Iwan Roberts on song that day

Brasil Vs Italy 1970 all 4 Brasil goals are magic , how pele floated in the air to score the header defies physics...check the Brasil 1970 thread I started ages ago...best team performance in a world cup final
  7. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

Don't know about best goal as there have been so many, I like Argentina's this year. 34 passes or something like that. However i think this could win best own goal!!

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Tony Yeboah for Leeds against Wimbledon in the mid 90's flew past 3-4 players then honked it into the top corner from 25 yards. Amazing.

Carlos Alberto against Italy in the World Cup Final 1970 summed up a one-off team at their peak.
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It was a corker!
  10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Absolutely. 25 yard piledriver that stayed low and beat the 'keeper at the near-post. Best goal I ever scored. Not sure about the Ravanelli-esque celebration that followed it.
  11. Will the Sec

Well, it was OK. It lack the silver haired look, but it was a goal worthy of over exuberant celebrations!
  12. Will the Sec

I thought it was 1998 - came in front of Michael Owen's for goal of the tournament? Could be wrong. Cricket's my game. :biggrin:
  13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I stand corrected!
  14. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

My goal was the best and I had a silver haired look!

It was 14 years ago and having just recovered from a pulled hamstring, I had a run out (in central defence as usual) for our second team. A midfield player was boxed in just to the left of the centre circle so I called for the ball, moving quickly into space in my own half to the right of the centre circle. He laid the ball off and in a rush of blood I just hammered it. It rocketed into the top right corner of the net.

Cue stunned silence for a couple of seconds!
  15. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Best goal ever, has to be Maradonna v England in 1986 and I don't mean the handball.

For my team, Forest, Stan Collymore v Wimbledon in 1994. Picked up the ball in his own half, beat 4 players and smashed an unstoppable shot from 30 yards. What a wasted talent.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. Jasper

Jasper Member

17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Giggsy vs Arsenal - FA Cup Semi Final Replay, Villa Park 14/4/99
  18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well it as to go to a Liverpool Player and i will say
    Steve Gerrard in the FA CUP Final this year against West Ham .
    And followed by Super Xabi Alonso a few weeks ago you know which one i mean that 70 yarder v Newcastle
  19. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

22/1/2005 Rio Ferdinand sending Old Trafford wild with his 90minute header against Liverpool!!:clap:
  20. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

I would now have to add Garry Caldwell against France 7/10/2006. Probably the best goal for all Scotland fans in a long time. It sent the pub I was in on Sat into hysterics, lost my voice and my ribs were sore when I got up on Sunday. Never mind, top of our group and lets hope we can stay there. We've not qualified yet but at least we now have a bit of hope of making it out of the group of death.