Who owns their own instrument?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by spookybiking, Apr 30, 2003.

1. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

how many of you have your own?
    i have my own horn had it brand, new besson sovereign now its 4-5years old , before that i had a sovereign my own aswell.
  2. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I have my own (well my parents do) bass trombone, is the new besson sov, same as adrian from black dyke plays on!
  3. angie

angie Member

i have my own but it doesn't love me.it never plays nicely. :(
  4. I have my own ancient sovereign horn, you know the ones with the blue round cases?! (or should I say boxes!) And I have one from band which is quite old, and then I have a newer one too. All sovereigns. I should give one back to the band....I haven't decided which one I like better!
  5. I have my own Sovreign cornet but it's only a medium bore so I should trade it in really, but it's never given me any bother so why get rid????? :D
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have my own saxophone, a Buffet with a lovely, light touch. I've owned it now for at least 30 years, and it has been around a lot longer than that.

For brass I have to rely on the band instruments - I really could not justify the price of a Sovereign BBb!
  7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I own all my instruments! and I have around 8 cornets and trumpets also a flugel! (oh and a tenor horn!)

my husband also has 8 varying trombones, some of them antique ones including a G trombone complete with handle! :wink:
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't be much use without it, would it?
  9. frisp

frisp Member

I have my own Sovereign BBb and I couldn't justify the price either-but it's a long story involving parents and filial duty :shock:
  10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

they often go missing though don't they? I have come across lots of G trombones with the handle missing!
  11. picju96

picju96 Member

I have my own trumpet and my own cornet, both bought with my hard earned cash about 2 years ago. I saved for ages for them, and my mates thought I was mad to spend money on 'bits of brass' in their words...
  12. frisp

frisp Member

Non-playing mates then!!

You regret the money???
  13. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

I've got my own Courtois Baritone. He's nearly 2 years old now.

14. picju96

picju96 Member

Definately not, my instruments have been the best investment ever!

And yes, they're non playing mates!
  15. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I've got a Bb trumpet and a Piccolo that I bought with my holiday pay when I changed jobs and a 6 month old Prestige cornet bought with money from selling an old jeep I had...so I managed to get all the instruments I needed without really breaking into the hard earned, at least that's how I justified it to myself.
  16. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

How's the Prestige, Sud?

considering joining this thread with one of them...
  17. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Playing wise I can't fault it. Super valves and easy to blow throughout the range, and the main tuning slide trigger is very useful in the upper register, especially as you start to tire. It is the best instrument I've ever played, but I think you need to be used to playing a large bore. (My last cornet was a Sov 928).
    The build quality itself is very good, but the laquer...well, I think Roger Webster was looking the other way when he signed the card.
  18. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff

are you on commission by any chance? ;)
  19. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I have my own yamaha maestro Bb cornet, an olds ambassador Bbcornet and a tatty old trumpet
  20. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I have a Besson Sovereign Bbcornet large bore which is all of 2 months old, hubby bought it for my 40th Birthday :)