Who makes the best new houses?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Apr 21, 2006.

?

Which is the best quality and value for money Homebuilder?

1. Barratts

14.3%
  2. Wimpy

7.1%
  3. Lovell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Persimmon

21.4%
  5. Other

57.1%
  1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'm currently looking to buy my first house in time for the summer and it's doing my head in. Want to rule out a new build before I get looking at older properties but with new houses, what one has in quality, you loose in size and some offer better extras and some are cheaper. I need your views on who builds the best value for money new homes before I think about reserving one off the plans. Any advice?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    house
    value
    houses
    one
    properties
  3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

The best houses are built by 18th century artisans, perferably with thatched roofs abd roses growing round the door and a cat in the window.
    Anything else is jerry-built and will fall down in only 75 years.
    BMB
    xx

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Hi Linda

my mum has a persimmon home. She'll quite happily let you have a look round to see the amount of room etc.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Unless you have lots of money to spend, new houses are usually very nice looking, with great design aesthetics, but are often a lot smaller insode than they appear, and though some are classed as 'detatched' they are sometimes only 1' from the neighbours wall.

I find 'new houses' pretend to be 'houses'. They may look nice, and have the WOW design factor... but as I say unless you have big money to spend older ones - in my opinion - are a better bet.

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i agree with John here, your probably better off going for an older house.
    If your looking for something solid and well built you cant beet some of the older council houses are excellent buys. although they may need a little work doing on them they have usually been well maintained in the pas wich helps a great deal.

7. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Buy an old house everytime....depending on location of course......at least the walls will be solid and not sheets of plasterboard!! Plumbing in new houses is fitted out in plastic with push on fittings and can hang anywhere behind a wall or ceiling. If Hurricane Katrina had hit this country I would hate to have seen new housing estates! I personally don't think that new built houses would have survived the impact.

8. Just to echo everyone else, I think you get far much more for your money with an older house. The only downside would be you may need slightly more (or in some cases - a lot more) work doing on these.
    If you are not in a rush to move, I would hang on until next year, as there is about to be a new law passed whereby the person selling the house must have it in good condition before sale. Not too sure of the specifics of this law but I would imgaine that means that it has to be able to stand up to your survey. Then, you'll know that
    A) You're not going to pay money out for surveying a house only to be told you can't buy it without paying out for a load of work frist.
    B) You can put an offer in with confidence in the knowledge that there are not going to be any little suprises later on down the line.

Totally agree with the person who said about buying ex-council. They tend to be far bigger than new builds of a supposedly similar size, and usually come with bigger gardens etc. In fact the council houses on our street have all had brand new roofs put on a few yers ago, where as ours is still an old crappy one that will need replacing soon.

9. NeilW

NeilW Member

Lego :)

One trick I gather they do in show houses is to furnish them with 7/8 size furniture - which makes the viewer think the rooms are bigger than they are.

Most "modern" houses wouldn't fit our furniture - the ceilings would be too low to accomodate Victorian wardrobes. Mind you, the house we live in was built in 1970, so is "modern" and seems to the be exception to the rule with 8'6" ceilings!

Would anyone live in those places they build in Grand Designs??

Neil.

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

We paid for a "full" survey on our house. They said it was fine. I phoned up and specifically asked about some cracking above a patio window: "its fine sir - just movement in the lintel".

2 years later we were getting the cracks investigated by a structural engineer, and the result was many, many 000's being paid by insurance to underpin half the house. Fortunately the survey, mortguage, insurance and everything had been done through the TSB, so other than the mess it didn't cost US much.

(the house really IS fine now - it hasn't moved again since)

The drawbacks with the homebuyers packs are that they are only valid 3 months (so if you don't sell in that time you'll have to get another one done @ ~£1000). Also they don't have a valuation that's acceptable to a mortguage co, so the buyer still has to have one done - and may have to get additional reports done if there are any questionable bits in the homebuyers pack.. The only people who will really make on the packs are the companies providing them!

Neil.

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

This is yet another flaw in a corrupt system.

Surveyors should be held fully responsible for items listed (or more importantly, those they failed to indentify) in any structural survey they undertake. The fact is they are not. yet the building societies insist a survey must be carried out - which as has been pointed out already is no cheap undertaking. The thing is, the building societies are associated with surveyors - more often than not being directly affiliated and hence make more coffers in the whole disgraceful process surrounding purchasing a house.

It's much the same for solicitors too. Try holding a solicitor responsible for any advice given (or not given when they should have) and you'll have a massively complex convoluted process to go through with the Law Society - who incidentally are there to protect the interests of solicitors!! I had an issue with a solicitor once where they were simply not doing their work expediently and as such I was doing more of the work and research than they were. I raised this with them on several occasions - but nothing improved. I asked them to research and advise on additional areas related to my file, and the only way they said they would continue is if I signed a disclaimer fully protecting them against anything that might happen in the future as a result of them not fully investigating and advising on the issues at hand. Talk about a shlt service, and to think what I was paying them... phah!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    house
    value
    houses
    one
    properties
  13. six pints

six pints Active Member

i voted wimpy. my dad works for them.

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Old build every time. The big housebuilders are not to be trusted, they are ruthless and cheeky and would sell their own Grandmas if they could get 8 houses on the site of her nursing home. Never ever buy a house straight from plan and be very very careful what land they offer you with your property. Furthermore, the chances are you'll have restrictive covenants which will cost you to have removed and probably had your Permitted Development rights removed by the council meaning you'd need planning permission for virtually anything you wanted to do externally to the property. The chances are that your nice "chocolate box" twee dwelling is built on a pit heap or a landfill site and has about as much room and character as well, errr, a small characterless thing and the walls will be paper thin. The homes that are mass produced by the big developers are horrible, cheapy boxes with precisely zero architectural integrity and for some reason, all seem to have massive, windowless gable ends. Probably to negate the need the seperation distances due to lack of windows, meaning more build per hectare, meaning more £.

In my experience, housebuilders generally have little regard for anyone but themselves.

15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

While I agree that old houses are generally nicer, when buying a house these days it would be a good idea to find out about how well insulated the walls and roof are, and whether there is double glazing throughout. These are things that are required of new builds under current building regulations, and can save you serious money on heating bills with the escalating cost of fuel. In old houses, the insulation needed just to sort the roof can completely ruin the lovely little attic room you like so much.

Also, you can save money by buying from a plot and plans, but you would need to supervise the build regularly. Often the designers of these houses don't think properly about simple things like where power sockets should go, whether doors should open inward or out (important in small bedrooms where the swing of the door could take up too much space) etc.

Good luck with it.

16. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Duplo

I built an extension on my new duplo house didn't even need planning permission

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I presume it was permitted development??

I don't think a duplo extension would ever take up your full quota of 70 cubic metres... as long as it wasn't more than 4m high and within 2m of a boundary, or closer to a highway than any other part of the original dwelling???!! ;)