Who make the better drivers...men or women?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Horace, May 26, 2004.

1. Horace

Horace Member

After just driving back from the library and nearly being driven off the road by some manic woman behind the wheel I got wondering who make for better drivers, men or women?!? At the risk of *bleep*ing off a few, I'd have to say men generally make the better drivers :) Just wondered what everyone else thought...

2. six pints

six pints Active Member

i cant drive, but statistically women are in less accidents

3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

only because they cause them and drive away :twisted: :p

4. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Oh my god... serious deja vu! I had a key skills exam yesterday - and it was on women drivers... was sooo boring! But now i'm all clued up on it...

-> Women drivers make less insurance claims than male drivers
    -> This could be due to the fact that 72% of a male's mileage is spent behind the wheel, whereas it's only 42% for females
    -> Women, across all age groups, are involved in less accidents than men, again possibly because of the above reason
    -> Women have more accidents at junctions than men
    -> In a study, men were proved to think of themselves as being better than an average driver, while women tended to think of themselves as being average. The percieved average across both genders was the same. Thus indicating that men had more self confidence in their skills, and wern't afraid to voice it, whereas women tended to play down their skills and highlight other people's.
    -> they general consensus (sp?!) was that men thought themselves better drivers but thought women safer drivers. And women didn't think there was any need for the argument as it clearly didn't hold any water!

Just some useless info picked up in yesterday's exam! Think the confidence part applies to a lot more than driving! well for some men anyway!

TuTuKu xx

5. Di

Di Active Member

Absolutely, positively, 200% certain its women! :twisted: Lets put it this way, in our household during the last 2 months - number of accidents involving man - 2. Number of accidents involving woman - 0. :roll:

But in general, there are many more "boy racers" around than "girl racers". Men take more risks, therefore, I think, making them more dangerous.

6. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

MEN-no argument-simple.

7. Di

Di Active Member

Couldn't have put it better myself. :lol: :wink:

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Agreed!
    :D :wink:

9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Ha ha like what you did there!! so very true!!

10. impycornet

impycornet Member

Men Obviously !

In fact Female's driving licences should only be valid after 11pm Monday to Saturday & all day Sunday so they can ferry their menfolk back from the pub !

:twisted:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    manic woman
    better drivers
    bleep
    ing
    risk
  12. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i cant actually drive..... but women :D

13. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Men tend to be much more aggressive behind the wheel but women, in general, are less aware, both of what's going on around them and of what's going on in their own car. For example, I regularly get stuck behind the same woman on my way to band practice. She drives an automatic and obviously rests her left foot on the brake pedal. She seems completely oblivious to the fact that it's rapidly wearing her brakes out and that her brake lights stay on continuously. This means that, should she ever have to stop in an emergency, she's almost guaranteed to collect a vehicle in her boot as, because her brake lights are already on, there is absolutely no warning.

From the point of view of someone who spends a lot of time on the road(about 2500 + miles per month) the "average" standard of driving by both sexes is *beep* awful!

14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I agree with that!

15. Golden-Hynd

Golden-Hynd Member

Can we go back to the very interesting post by TuTuKu! this was said though ->

"This could be due to the fact that 72% of a male's mileage is spent behind the wheel"

Where do we spend the other 28%? in the boot? surely a males mileage should be 100% behind the wheel coz if ure not driving the car it won't move (hopefully)!!!

Am i just being blonde?

Tim

16. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I don't know, but i'm guessing as a passenger, and someone else driving! Or is that me being blonde!

17. Di

Di Active Member

I put in an awful lot of milage traipsing Vic to and fro up and down the country and I consider myself to be a pretty decent driver. Actually, I find that the standard/patience of drivers differs depending on WHERE you are as well as what sex you are. Take Manchester for example. If you're at the front of the queue at a set of traffic lights and you haven't already zoomed across the line as soon as the "red and amber" lights are lit, there's about 5 people impatiently hooting at you. Even as a pedestrian, have been hooted at for not having crossed the road before the light has changed to "flashing amber". I also find Birmingham to have a lot of "aggresive" drivers.

18. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Some women are dreadful drivers!!! :shock:
    Some men are impatient and too speedy at times... :roll:
    Bad as each other really... :p :twisted:

and then theres the men and women who have the right attitude and dicipline on the roads... :D

Too cautious is dangerous...

19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'd say it depends on the individual!!
    I'm obviously a good driver (admittedly rubbish at parking)but I can agree that women are not always so great! Some bird stopped right in the middle of the road today.....and I did shout something along the lines of b****y women drivers. On the otherhand some stupid male nearly crashed into me the other day as he was driving on the wrong side of the road at about 80 mph on the back roads.
    I guess neither sex is perfect

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

My god they can't even operate a bog seat apparently so what hope have we of getting them to drive safely???

Men drive, women get behind the wheel and the car moves 'cos it daren't do anything else for fear of years of reprisals!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :roll:

21. Di

Di Active Member

Of course you know, this means war! :lol: :wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    manic woman
    better drivers
    bleep
    ing
    risk