Who loses the parts?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Apr 22, 2006.

Worse offenders for losing parts

1. Musical Director

2. Solo Cornets

3. Repiano Cornet

4. 2nd Cornets

5. 3rd Cornets

6. Flugel Horn

7. Tenor Horns

8. Baritones

9. Trombones

10. Euphoniums

11. Eb Bass

12. Bb Bass

13. Percussion

14. Librarian

15. Soprano

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Do you (or your librarian/MD) find it totally frustrating when you get out a set of parts from your library only to find one or two parts are missing?

Who are the worst offenders at losing parts?

I thought my own parts (1st bari) were ok, until we took "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from the library only to find the 1st bari (before my time) and Soprano Cornet parts missing!

Fortunately I have a 1st bari part from another band that I can play, but how frustrating that we are missing the Sop (if anyone can help, PM me).

But who are the worst offenders at losing parts? If the Mods would like to start a poll, I for one would be fascinated to know who the offenders are!

Secretary, St Gennys Silevr Band (100 years old in 2007!)
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

No sooner said than done!

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you can add a poll at any time during this thread ... select 'thread tools' (above) then 'add a poll to this thread' ;)
  4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

You or the band?!?!?!?! :D

I find it's usually the horns, they can never keep hold of music! The second cornets never bring their music, and percussionists throw away the music!!!!
  5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Our Sop Player (which by the way has been missed off the poll!) always leaves his music at home on the piano :tongue: and percussionists seem to lose their music in amongst all their toys :tongue: and there's always one less solo cornet part that there are solo cornet players at a rehearsal for any piece we get out :confused:
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Definitely the Bb basses! I think it's actually a qualification to get the seat isn't it? :confused:;)
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its usually our musical director :rolleyes: :oops: or our 1st Baritone whose filing system is legendary, although I think the record goes to one of our previous 2nd horn players who managed to lose their part for Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back after playing it only once.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

In my experience its always trombone, back row and percussion players...at the rate i've known some players "lose" music they must like novelty toilet paper or something ;)
  9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Absolutely! Gary is slipping now. Gone from being an organised horn player to loosing his music! It happens to everyone who sits in them seats! :rolleyes:;):tongue:
  10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Its always the percussion - 3 parts (at least) go out - at most one comes back! What do they do with it?

City of Brumshire Librarian
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I find it is usually me that loses the music. I don't know how or why, it just is. :( I have an excellent band librarian that keeps me under control at the moment, but it can only be a matter of time before it happens again.

It's particularly embarrassing for me because I used to be a professional music librarian. :oops: :(
  12. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

Our Solo Cornet section are a little wayward with their music as the part usually come from one pad and end up in another culminating in one MASSIVE pad!

I've lost music before too...who hasn't! :p
  13. stopher

stopher Member

Perc our by far the worst - just took a load of music in in the last rehearsal while the shedbuilders were away and found music from Christmas 2004 in their file plus most of the music from last summer which we took in in October. FLugel was just as bad (he used to play 2nd cornet until september and it this file was awful!

Thinking of fining them if they have any music that has been put away still in their files!
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Me. I'm terrible. Music munching monsters seem to live in my folder and my gig bag!
  15. Splitone

Splitone Member

Does he leave it at home accidentally, or because he has been too busy practising it and in the rush to get to band has left it on the practice stand? (This of course does not have to be a 'he', or even a sop player. I'm sure in most bands there is usually one person who has music missing - though always claims it is in safe place!).

The solo cornets, all four parts seem to gravitate towards one pad (principal usually) and don't come out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  16. el maestro

el maestro Member

Back row cornets for us!
  17. no one person to blame, various parts just magically disapear!
  18. axio

axio Member

Backrow cornets.... they are to sheet music what my washing machine is to socks! :rolleyes:
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We have several culprits in our band (My partner is the librarian, so I often catch the rough end of the rant when something has gone walkies)

Percussion (because they never empty the pads of stuff we don't play anymore) Talk to the hand, I'm not listening...no you don't!

Basses (not so much now but the old codgers we had couldn't see very well and were forever filing stuff in the wrong place).

Back row cornets (too busy chatting to hear what needs doing with the music and it usually ends up in a big pile at the back of the pad).

MD, helps himself to the music cupboard, rummages through in his JCB style, puts stuff back in envelopes in the wrong order, doesn't file stuff back in the cupboard again...and the list goes on. The number of "ear chewings" I've taken for him are too many to count.
    You owe me new ears Ploughboy! :mad: ;)

Front row cornets are perfect of course :biggrin: , and the horns daren't be anything otherwise cos Deb (the librarian) is the solo horn and she runs the rule over them with dogmatic dictatorial impunity.
  20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

2 years ago Killamarsh sorted the complete library and discovered that we had over 100 separate parts of music "missing" - the results were

2nd Bari - 18
    1st trom - 13
    2nd trom - 13
    Solo horn - 12
    Sop - 12
    Euph - 11
    1st Bari - 9
    3rd cornet - 7
    Bass trom - 6
    2nd horn - 6
    1st horn - 3
    Front row cornet - 3
    Flugel - 2
    2nd Cornet - 2
    Perc - 2
    & basses 0 - that's 0 for the basses - not bad for 119 years of playing.:clap:

Currently we only have one section that "lose" music and that's baritones so my solution to this problem is not to give them any music at all - that way they never have an opportunity to lose it.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006