Who is your favourite Euphonium Player(s)?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Apr 5, 2003.

1. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

My faves from various generations;

John Clough
    Len Charnock
    David Welsh

All are something special and as far as I know none of them are still playing....in the UK

2. sunshine

sunshine Member

My favourite euphonium player is called Pete Beale, who plays for Corby Silver Band. Why is he my favourite? Because he's my husband. Ahhhh

3. Rob Cavender for me.

Or Mr Calender. Or Mr Cavendish. (Or Mr Lavender to his mates).
    (And some even call him James Dean)

Cos he's a top bloke (and he can play a bit).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  4. fireborn

fireborn Member

ok, my favourite would have to be Nicholas Childs (I know He's not playing at the moment), but I guess I may be biased - he was my teacher. But then again, he was my favourite before I became his student.

I do like David Childs, not sure if he's my favourite though of those still playing.

5. recently been buying alot of euphonium CD's and my two fave euph players are:

Steven Mead and David Childs

6. MichaelHoward

MichaelHoward New Member

Thanks for that Rob! I gave up playing about 5 years ago. Put off by a certain player (whom I won't mention - but I may have been in a quartet with him!) who was more interested in entertainment than music!!! And if the world thinks he's one of the best players then it's a sad world.

7. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

Barry perrins, from henden band, loverly sound, one band, did,t move about for glory, what a great man also, no big head about his playing, just got on with it, what a shame he died when in his 50,s, :clap:

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I was thinking Barrie Perriens, but ofocurse yes John Clough, Trevor Groom, Nick and Robert Childs(When they were playing), Morgan Griffiths, David Thornton.

9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Please reconsider your reason for having stopped playing. I don't know you personally, but I imagine you still have much to offer.

10. Paige

Paige Member

Michael Howley for me!

11. leeseuph

leeseuph New Member

jackie argyle for me, taught me well and was one of trevor grooms idols, small unassuming man with a big sound he took over from benny lowery when he had his teeth taken out, this was when carlton main won everything going in the late 50's :tup

12. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Michael WHAT A WASTE WHY NO PLAYING ... I still rememeber your playing booooptiful on Revelations at the Open - just stunning .. I was on stage with Sion @ Davis's that day and every one raved about Bob & Nick and even our friend who played at CWS that day.. but for me you were the star..

Kent is a long way from your 'roots' but great to hear from you - when back up North look us up .. Get details from www.derwentbrass.com -- take a look at 'meet the players' you will recognise several other players !!!!.....

Good luck..

13. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

There have been lots of really great euph players over the years but I would just like to say that the most thrilling euph performance for me was Ian Peters in Masquerade in 1993. Unbelievable. I think he was contemplating going home just before he went on stage.

Nige B

14. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Oh and Morgan was great in 2000 and whenever too

15. FreezingGamer

FreezingGamer New Member

In my opinion, the most influential euphonium player is my one of my friends. But, my favourite soloist is probably steven mead.

16. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

John Clough

17. Blades4Ever

Blades4Ever Member

Never heard Jackie play, but he was my conductor at Yorkshire Main Colliery, and I had a lot of respect for him.

18. pedaller

pedaller Member

Without doubt, the most natural, stylish, complete and best Euphonium player has got to be John Clough. Just listen to how he brings out every nuance of the Euph part in any piece he plays, soloist, accompanist, or just as a band Euphonium player. He is, and always will be for me, the epitome of all that is best in the Euphonium. And great company too, together with Jack Brooke, Frank Berry, Ian Copeland, Brian Broadbent and John Slinger. True Icons before an age of plastic "superstars" !

19. yoooff

yoooff Member

I had the privilege of sitting next to David Childs a few years ago when the Regionals test was Wilbys Jazz. Those of you who know it will remember it starts with a euph gliss and cadenza. Wow!!! He isn't at the top of the ladder - he has a ladder to himself. And such a nice guy too.

Past it likes this.