Who is your favourite Euphonium Player(s)?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hello, just wondering who everyones fave Euph players were, and reasons why.
    Mine are Steven Mead and Trevor Groom, two of the most influential and inspiring Euph players i've ever known (and i'm only 16!). Steven Mead for his overall brilliance, friendliness, for producing so many wicked CD's that i'm trying to get as many of (!), for being such an idle for me (and many others!) and constant enthusiastic nature towards the best instrument in the world! :wink:
    Trevor Groom, as I have been having lessons with him for the past 5 months, and he has helped me greatly with my playing. For his amazingly beautiful expressive tone, enthusiasm, for helping me so much, for being such a nice person and being so friendly. :D
    Any tracks performed by either of these two players is highly recommended by me! :D

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Moved to "The Rehearsal Room"...

3. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

4. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

I heard Stephen Mead about 10 years ago and his sound just blew me away. I dont hear top players that much. In our area Paul Robinson from Ever Ready will take some beating but is probably under estimated :roll:

5. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Locally......... got to be Lynden cooper from Newstead and of course my brother Carl who plays top euph for Long Eaton!!
    BTW he is helping out Frickley for the sheild so cant be that bad!! :wink:

6. euphemism

euphemism Member

Why thank you Shaz....cheque is in the post

Lynden is a bit of a demi god...

Morgan Griffiths has a great sound - his cd is very good... but most of the 'top' Championship bands have great Euphs

me ..I go for pieces rather than individual players ....and the slow solos do show off sound rather well - Holy Well has been a fave for some time...Meditation....Softly as I Leave...Scared Temple (yep Scared - those 'F's above the stave at the end make it scary !!!

Running around can be fun too

Hey ho - keep blowing.... hope you get news on yer Prestige soon...

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Well for me it has to be David Childs. I saw him at a concert in Nottingham a couple of months ago and he was just brilliant!

8. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Geoff Whitham, Trevor Groom, Clive Parker (FAB sounds all)

9. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Hi

David Moore from his Grimethorpe and VB days and Trevor Groom had a great sound and technique, listen to his Resurgam!!! :lol:

Len Withington his rendition of Meditation from Thias a the Granada Band of the Year was stunning what a sound he had, such control!

Flash

10. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Who's the Daddy!!!

Lyndon Baglin, nuff said :roll:

11. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Geoff Whitham definitely - what a man and he can still play well!

I also rate Morgan Griffiths - on his day he's fantastic.

John Storey - ex Yorkshire Coops and now with Coldstream Guards - is also excellent but not very well known and consequently underestimated.

Rach x

12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Bill Millar. Ex Wingates and Grimethorpe and now back at Leyland I think. Nothing flashy but the best tone in the business and a superb natural musician.

Of the current top euphs Morgan Griffiths and Michael Dodds are my kind of players.

D

13. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

got to be steven mead. have you ever heard him live? can make his euph sound like a trom, at least in style, and can play tune and bass on the same euph. amazing.

i've sat next to david childs, and he is amazing, but has a little way to go yet.

14. jimothy

jimothy Member

i once had the privelege if sitting next to Trevor Groom. He's still got it and is one of the all time greats. Certainly a superior player to Cloughie!!! I think for my money the best of the current crop of euph players has to be a tie between the fantastic Glyn Williams at Fodens and the awesome David Thornton at Dyke.

15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Mark Bousie is my favourite. not only is he a excellent euph player, but he is down to earth and friendly bloke and is willing to help anyone especially the youth whereas i find some of the older euph players to be fairly 'unfriendly' so to speak. Plus, mark has played on my euph :p

Natsumi (i can't remember her surname) who plays solo euph at Besses, is amazing. She's tiny and it's unbelievable what sound she can produce. Definately one to look out for because she's just brilliant!

Steven Mead is another of my favourites, but he's like Bob Childs he's been around for a long time, but he's the one everyone likes.

oh, and i'm pretty good too, hehe 8) ;)

16. Lyndsay

Lyndsay New Member

Markus!!!!!!!!!!! :D

17. Ali

Ali Member

John Collins former member of Britsih Areospace, Todmorden Old and now Dobcross Silver. Colourful language, colourful guy! Oh I almost forgot, he's an excellent player as well!

18. Brad J

Brad J New Member

It's hard to get to know these household names over in OZ :) But I'd have to say Morgan Griffiths. His sound is classic, and I hear he's a good bandsman and a very nice bloke. :)

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I never cease to be amazed at the high standard of euphonium playing at present. Many's the time I have been listening to a cd and been impressed by a player only to find it is someone I have never heard of!

Further to other comments, of players currently active I have to go along with those who have mentioned Morgan Griffiths for his clarity of tone, and Steven Mead's playing is so versatile, as well as the work he has done in pioneering new repertoire. I think that Nicholas Childs is sometimes overshadowed by Bob, but I have always been impressed by his sound, which never seems to go over the top in the way that others can do occasionally - I think it's a pity he does not play so much these days.

Someone posted previously regarding David Childs, saying he is not there yet - if that is the case, then it's frightening to think where he might end up! I'm off to hear him at the Wigmore Hall tonight, where he is premiering a new Sonata for Euphoinum and Piano by Alun Hodinott, and anything that promotes the euphonium in the wider musical world has got to be a good thing.

Finally, I should like to put in a word for Derrick Kane of the ISB. Maybe stronger in the top and of the range than the bottom, on his day he is still a phenominal player.

20. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Locally it would have to be between Paul Robinson and Andy Marsh both fantastic players.

But if you really want the daddy it has to be Lyndon Baglin. He was a proper Euph player.