who is the tallest?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Phoenixhorn, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Phoenixhorn

Phoenixhorn Member

I was just wondering if some people could help me out. i was wondering who is the tallest person in brass banding in the area? also what instrument they played? also how difficult do tall people find it to sit in small uncomfortable chairs whilst playing?
  2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

One of Becontree's Eb Bass players , Big Dave Bowman , must come close.I'm 6'4'' and 18 stone and he makes me feel small !!! must be about 6'8'' , if not bigger.
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Former Eikanger , Brittania , YBS tuba player Erik " The Viking "Gjerdvik ( sp )..is a man mountain , just look at the 1989 Eikanger Photo ( Trittico CD from the 1989 European ) or the 1992 Festival of Brass CD ( Brittania band of the year )..
    Erik came down to Point of Ayr back in 1993 to give me a couple of lessons , what a guy!!!! so tall he had a small cloud formation around him :) great player and a top bloke. he is over 6ft 8... :eek:
  4. lewis

lewis Member

One of our tenor horn players is about 6'7", he's actually a french horn player and looks very funny with a tenor horn. He never seems to complain about the seats.
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Martyn Pattinson of Bedworth is 6' 9"
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I wonder if Brass Band heights are exagerrated in the same way as in Circuses and Professional Wrestling?

LBB is 6 ft 8, and I am 6 foot 10. :biggrin:
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I always thought Martyn was 6' 11"

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

9 was what he used to quote on Nigel Horne's mailing list...

It's all a bit tricky to differentiate from this perspective (5' 6"), anyway!
  9. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

That's me next to Erik on the Britannia picture! I'm 6 foot and look like a kid next to him!
  10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

no trying to rest a beer on my head at Hadleigh Will! :wink:
  11. NAS

NAS Member

Phil Harper, the MD at Flowers.
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'm not really. I'm a wee 6 foot 4.
  13. the fish

the fish Member

I reckon you guys at Becontree must have the tallest band in the country after seeing you at Stevenage, maybe that should be the topic of another thread though...........
  14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Yeah but only in my high heeled socks :eek:
  15. Laserbeam bass

We were all walking around with our shoes on our knees ;)
  16. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

And one of the most 'hirsutically challenged' bands in the country too! ;)
  17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Being a short **** everyone is tall to me, which doesn't really bother me but tall women are the exception, i.e. women nearing 6ft an over...they REALLY put the fear of god into me!
  18. Laserbeam bass

What's that got to do with height, please get back on topic, as stated in rules and regs 2f [​IMG]
  19. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

:clap: ;)

Ooh get her! *frantically searching for a 'Handbags' emoticon!* :tongue:

Sorry Mr Chairman, Sir!! ;)

Its not the end of the world, perhaps we could all follow the Graham Gooch/Austin Healy method of regrowth! :D
  20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

You will be needing it before the rest of us Brother 5010 !!!

In order to return on topic , yes some of us in Becontree are tall ! My horn playing bro is also (a) tool !!!!....I'll get me coat.