Who is the hottest new talent in brass banding?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornet clive, Jun 26, 2008.

1. cornet clive

cornet clive New Member

Who do you think is the best up and coming talent in the banding world. I think that my son clive jnr is making real progress. I have great aspirations!
    Any other players to look out for?
  2. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

You'd have to say Peter Moore - winner of Young Musician.
  3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Definitely Peter Moore

Also Stephen Sykes (trombone) and Carlton Sykes (Eb Bass) and from reports I have read about his playing (not heard him personally) Johnathan Bates
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

at times like this you just have to say.

5. cornet clive

cornet clive New Member

yes, i have also heard of master bates! how about mathew white of leyland or mathew jenkins from cory?
  6. Bluebander

Bluebander New Member

I don't think you should forget up and coming new composers like Lucy Pankhurst, Peter Meechan, and Ben Tubb too. They're really producing some great new 'modern' repertoire.
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

It'll be hard to find many with as much potential and achievement thus far as Peter Moore i have to say.
  8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Matt Jenkins is fantastic! Also a budding conductor as well!

There was a young lad I saw yesterday playing Euphonium. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

I think he is called Harrison Healey and plays for Oldham (Lees) Band.
    Anyone from Oldham like to correct me?
  9. Mr Piggy

Mr Piggy New Member

I personally find that most of Tubb's works are quite impressive, given his age. I recently heard his new piece "Through a Film Lens" in a YBS concert at Morley Town and although I personally enjoyed the work, it was met with what can only be described as a frosty reception from the audience. I'm sure that in time his spark will develop into something more than credible as his work loses it's immaturity.
  10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I recently saw Oldham in concert. This young man was fantastic. The whole band were so young and talented. I was very impressed!
  11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

A back handed compliment if ever there was one, and a first post too! Only joined today! Wow......
    Bens compositions are in no need of maturity, that is why he is the composer in residence at YBS.
    He is a mean horn player too and in years to come will be one of the shining lights in this movement.....
    Yes....I am a Tubb fan!!!!!! I admit it! Guilty as charged!
  12. cornet clive

cornet clive New Member

i also love a bit of Tubb. How about Tom Hutchinson from Black Dyke? surely a fine young talent, i have recently mailed him asking for lessons for my son Clive Jnr, a fine cornet player in the making. I also have a daughter, camilla, who plays tuba, any young tuba stars to keep an eye out for?
  13. eanto

eanto Member

As good as he, undoubtably is, Tom Hutch a new talent:confused:
  14. eanto

eanto Member

Don't think so, just an honest 'individual' opinion.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

What abou paul duffy as well. He's a fantastic young soprano, probably the best for his age group in the world. He's just naturally talented.

I suppose this thread is sort of linked to what 4br are doing with the scouting. Joe Murray, Paul Duffy, Sarah Lenton, Emma Walton, James Fountain, Zoe Hancock, Vicki Reynolds, Jeremy Taylor, Graham Bushell, David James, Matthew Jenkins, Matthew White, Gary Curtin, Mark Harrison and Jamie Cooper.
  16. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Depends what you mean by "hottest!" What do you think Mr Van Der Lager?
  17. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Bit of a long way to travel from Canada though isn't it?
  18. Masterblaster jnr

Well looking at Clive's profile its obvious he can travel. That's a good thing, it shows commitment to the bending movement. Australia, sweden, Canada, why not commute over here?....
  19. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Is the bending movement very popular?

I guess Yuri Gellar is the leading Bender eh? :biggrin:
  20. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Anyway, back to topic - my vote is in the Peter Moore camp as well.

There are a lot of talented young players around but Peter has the musical world at his feet, not just in Brass Bands either - I can see a big future for him in the orchestral world, should he choose this path.

I have followed his success for nearly the past 3 years since Ted Griffiths told me about him at the Open back in 2005. He predicted a huge future for him then. Wish I'd asked Ted for the lottery numbers that day as well!

Oh, and MBJ - see me after school for a speeellihg lecon - Brass Bends ?? - guess it does if you heat it up enough.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008