Who is the finest Welsh SA Cornet player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnflugel, Feb 3, 2004.

Who is the finest Welsh SA Cornet player?

1. Steven Day

2. Carl Saunders

3. Other

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Just wondered what your thoughts were :wink:
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget Ralph Brill as well :!:
  3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Oh yes, Mr Brill too...wow, this is shaping out to be some contest :wink:
  4. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Having both been privileged enough to play in the same band as me, with a shortlist of two Carl must come out on top. However, Beard with practice, listening to advice and playing with a higher standard of players could become a very good player.
  5. Razor

Razor Member

Are we talking players of this generation only?

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that BM James Williams of Enfield was born in Wales. If correct then surely he must be included in this poll too?
  6. concerto colin

concerto colin New Member

Hello, This is my first posting on this website (and what a fine website it is, might I add) and I feel that I need to comment on some of the above opinions.

As an elder in Salvation Army banding I have been around long enough to know that fine players in Welsh SA bands are few and far between. I have, however been priviledged enough to hear both Carl and "Steve" perform, and i agree that with practice and listening to GOOD advice Steve could well become the next Carl Saunders.

Yet there is more to SA playing than the standard of playing. Playing for the right reasons, where God has placed you, and using the talent which he has ultimatley given you for his ministry is far more important. In this respect i applaud "Steve" for doing what he knows is best and remaining in the SA band situation he is in at the moment. SA bands in Wales are beginning to move away from the true reason they are there. I don't want to offend here, but this is certainly the case in "Cantonion's" corp, it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

I'm sorry for boring the non SA players here but I take my SA banding very seriously and beleive the "secularising" of Canton Band and the integrity of its bandsman as true Salvationists is something that needs to be addressed.

God Bless
  7. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I take great exception to the highlighted comments made by concerto colin.

One of the problems in the Salvation Army is that a Corps, Band, Songsters or Junior Section that exhibits high standards musically is the subject of 'snide' comments and jealousies. The small-minded persons thoughts are that they obviously do not uphold the Christian standards. This is extremely untrue and certainly in the case of Cardiff Canton corps.

I do not wish to air dirty linen in public but if concerto colin would like to PM me I will answer any of his arguments in a considered fashion!
  8. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Carl helped out our band (BSC Port Talbot) in a concert a few years back when Denis Mahoney was conducting...what a sound and technique. He's got to be number one for me. :lol:
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Agreed. Thank you Mike.

Concerto Colin: Welcome to tMP. We look forward to hearing your views and comments but please note that the rules of tMP do not permit derogatory comments regarding bands or individuals. Any further posts of this nature will be deleted and the thread will be locked.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Roger (Moderator)

10. Camp Jimmy

Camp Jimmy New Member

what about barry ogden

he was a top welsh sa bandsman on most instruments even played in the household troops band with others
    he is now assisting conductor at a small learners band in derbyshire but not in the sa anymore (there Loss)
  11. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Re: what about barry ogden

Who :?: :?: :?:
  12. Tuba tough Lips

Tuba tough Lips New Member

Top taff cornet players

I currently only know two welsh SA cornet players. Carl SAUNDERS of Canton and Deryck JONES of Gosport, Hants.

In my humble opinion, Carl just about has the edge because of his tone and Stamina. KEEP GOING DERYCK!
  13. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Impressive record, tough lips.
    I've heard of circular breathing but.................................!
  14. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

the finest wesh S.A. cornet player

Thank you Tuba tough lips for your remarks. I do however have to question what is wrong with my tone? I have been told I have a tone to die for........ is that why I'm picking up so much extra work in my local cremetorium at the moment ? :( :( :? :?

Derek Jones (note the correct spelling)
  15. Camp Jimmy

Camp Jimmy New Member

Barry Ogden - I put it in the subject
  16. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Sorry! I dont look at it usually as I consider the thread title the subject.
  17. Chuckles-tuba

Chuckles-tuba Member

I voted for Carl Saunders as he is a great player but this is not to take anything away from the others, in particular Ralph Brill.
    He has taken over as principal on two big chairs in the SA (Troops & Enfield) and has done a fantastic job on these.