Who inspired you to play music?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jasdrum, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jasdrum

jasdrum New Member

One of my earlier influences wheen I was learning drums/percussion was Evelyn Glennie.

I also admire the playing of session drummer called Thomas Lang.
  2. Al

Al Member

As a youngster I was at our local Carnival and watched the band leading the parade. There were people I knew by sight who drove tractors and dug up roads and worked on building sites and in factories and I was amazed that such people were able to make that wonderful brass band sound.

Within a few months I had joined the band.

Happy days indeed.

So those ordinary people inspired me. Some sadly no longer with us, but with me every time I play or hear a brass band marching!!
  3. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I remember being at home as a 12 year old "bored with everything!". A friend of my Mum and Dad came round for some errand or other and scolded me for being so negative. He was on the way to Band rehearsal and invited me to come with him. I poo pooed the idea but went anyway and sat next to him as he played Eb Bass. I was amazed at the sounds and returned the following week where he found me an ancient Sovereign Euphonium and left me in the back room to try and make some sounds whilst he played with the band. He would give me 5 minutes at the tea break to listen to me and this continued for several weeks. I eventualy was allowed to sit in the rehearsal next to him him to try and follow his playing (I was given the Bb Bass Part of course). I practiced at home and carried on like this till I was then allowed to sit with my little Euph looking at the 2nd Baritone part. Months passed and I progressed to the Euphonium parts.
    Talk about learning on the job
    The Band was Windsor in Salford, Manchester.
    If my mates had found out what I was up to I would have been taken to pieces
    My mentor was Dennis Bottomley and I am eternaly greatful.
    Windsor is no more but it produced some fantastic players, who moved on to greater things such as Darryl Barry
    If all the ex players ever got together I am sure that it would be a fantastic sound. It should be!
    The conductor was Mr Jack Clayton and he has left a great legacy to the Brass Band movement via the young kids that he gave an opportunity to and encouraged many years ago
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I was inspired to take up brass playing because the peri came on Tuesday afternoons when the rest of the class had "Games" on a field two miles away.
    To my delight, being a little tubby fellow, I was excused "Games" ( 2 hours) to pursue my musical endeavours. (20 mins with a peri)
    This lead to 40 brilliant years of involvement with Brass Bands and the (Mostly) great guys who participate in this wonderful hobby.
    - Wilkie (Cheesy but sober !)
  5. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Wierdly Peter Roberts inspired me even though I play Tenor Horn when I first listened to him play Flowerdale at the 2004 Europeans, although I already played then but after listening to it, it got me into 'hardcore' banding:biggrin:! It completely blew me away, as I never thought playing like that was possible.
  6. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

7. iRyan

iRyan Member

Probably Chris Hirst and Michael Dodd back when I first started and got into brass banding, but once I got to know and listen to more and more names, Ian Bousfield and Don Lusher aswell as those first two.
  8. joker66

joker66 Member

My mum and dad. We moved to Creswell when they joined Creswell Colliery Band in the early 1970's when I was 4. I wanted to play Solo Horn like mum and started playing her horn. When Creswell Junior Band was founded I started playing properly and am still playing today. I have tried most sections (cornet, sop, baritone) and have returned to my first love - the tenor horn!

What really inspired me to play BB bass was hearing the QE 2 leaving Southampton in 1975 all funnels were at full steam, what a sound.
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

My Dad.

He took my mum out for dinner one night (which is quite a shock thinking back - he musn't have been out with / doing something for the Band for once!), and being a bit of a nuisance 7 year old the only way I'd let them out of the door was if he'd let me have a go on "that thing".

He left me in the charge of my elder siblings with a round stamp Sovereign euph and a little blue card that had treble and bass clef chromatic fingerings on it. When he came back later that evening I was playing a C scale....the week after that he had me at Besses Boys.

The moment when I realised I wanted to play 'properly' was the night before the National Championships in 1981. Both the Boys Band and Besses had qualified that year (winning the Youth Section and Championship Section at the Guild Hall in Preston), and the Boys Band finished rehearsing. Barrie Chappell - the MD of the Boys Band - took me over to the Imperial War Museum where the senior band were rehearsing Blitz....and I remember standing there with my jaw on the floor and the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end for the full 11 minutes of the runthrough we caught....they left the performance in that room that night (they were only placed 5th in the contest)....but I still remember how I felt and it's still my favourite piece....
  11. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

My parents are both professional violinists. I don't remember taking up the piano, I was so young! And apparently I begged to learn the violin, although fortunately they let me give up when I was 14 as the noise was just so horrible.

Wynton Marsalis is my trumpet hero - he can do classical and jazz so well!
    Then, there is a local player here in Sussex who is a very good friend of mine who also does both classical and jazz extremely well, so he's a bit of an inspiration.

The MD of my brass band is very inspiring and encouraging as well. That helps a lot!
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

During my brief time with Dyke, I was in total awe of Derek Jacksons great, broad width of sonorous sound - it would have made the QE2 sound a bit thin and tinny !!
    (And I did hear the QE2 "Horn" frequently in my pro years when playing with a band on a QE2 cruise)
  13. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

George Gibson. What a man he was. He made it such fun and always encouraged talent. I was heart sorry when he died a few year back.
  14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I started learning brass aged about 12 after playing percussion and worked up / down ( depending on your view ! ) from Tenor Horn to Euph . I never really got into playing , or listening to bands terribly seriously though until about a year after , when I was taken to Ipswich to hear Enfield Citadel .

I was blown away by "Song of Courage" ( Eric Ball ) and the intensity / volume of sound , and then Peter Wise stood up to do "The Better World" on his euph . My initial thought was to throw myself and my instrument under the nearest passing bus as his playing was unlike anything I'd ever heard up till that point , but I do remember telling my Dad on the way home that one day I wanted to play like that !

Whether I ever did / can is a moot point but I still remember that night . What a player !!
  15. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

My first secondary music teacher.

I started playing the Clarinet aged 12 (she suggested either Clarinet or Flute to me), so I was a bit of a late starter when it came to playing. When it comes to brass as I didn't pick up a brass instrument until I was 18!
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

All of my teachers at primary school! Most of them had some connection with the band - either themselves or their husband had played with the band at some point, so they took a lot of interest!

And my piano teacher - ever since my first lesson fourteen years ago I've always wanted to teach music myself! :)
  17. pegleg

pegleg Member

Jim Gordon was my first teacher at the age of 8. Several other musicians have inspired me over the last 53 years. (In fact, Jim Gordon is the bandmaster of the current band that I am in.)
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As a young clarinettist moving onto saxophone my hero was Jack Brymer, and I shall always be thankful that he was willing to take the time to reply to two letters sent by a youngster he had never heard of, asking for advice on different aspects of playing.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Initially, Reg Neale, a Euphonium player in our local village band at Bulkington. But over the years it comes in waves from so many people most if not all I have seen live - trying to remember in chronological (is that how you spell it?) order

Like "KMJ Recordings" said there's often a point when you realise that you want to do it correctly - Band wise it was when i heard Birmingham School of Music do Volcano at the Nationals.. and Desford at the Europeans with Daphnis & Chloe..

Real individual motivation and spine tingling amazement came from these guys.. Won't mention all the Brass Band greats .. but here's the real "Oh my Gods.." that kept me striving to enjoy it all at the best standard I could maintain..

Maynard F
    Buddy Rich
    John Fletcher
    Chuck Mangioni
    Arturo Sandoval
    Roger Bobo
    Carl Fontana
    Bill Watrous
    Bobby Shew
    Christian Lindberg
    George Roberts
    Vaughn Nark
    Haken Hardenburger
    Wynton Marsalis
    Joe Allesi
    Luciano Pavoroti
    Jesse Norman
    etc.. Just make sure you widen your horizons

If you don't know them just youtube a few..

Each to their own !!!!
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  20. Bobobear

Bobobear New Member

Sonia off Eastenders when she played trumpet.