Who inspired you to become the player you are today

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kierendinno, Aug 23, 2006.

1. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

does the first conductor you play under have a profound impact on the rest of your banding career?

my first conductor, Ken Vernon, formerly of Whitwell Band (also my first band) was absolutely amazing. Ken believed in giving everybody a chance, he would allow anybody who wanted to play a solo with the band. He showed faith in me by promoting me to solo baritone at 14, when many conductors would have simply advertised. and when it came to musicality, he was brilliant. every band he has taken he got promoted.

But to my friend Laura Scott (perfect cadence) 1st band was RJB Brass (Harworth) under John Davies and Ian Knapton. she was not as inspired as i was but has still matured to become 2nd horn with a top section band. To Laura it was the 1st horn player, Ronnie Garner, who inspired her.

Who was everybody elses inspiration, and what effect has it had on your banding career.
  2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

It would have to be your first brass teacher. If they hadn't managed to inspire you would you not just have packed it in???

I was lucky and i had a great first tutor, the school i went to had a great school band which formed the majority of a prize winning youth band which also fed a championship section band!

Also learning a brass instrument allowed me to skip crappy lessons like geography (no offence intended to teachers of the above mentioned subject).
  3. Martin Hall

Martin Hall Member

Without shadow of a doubt for me, Jim Shepherd, from the first time i heard him play following on fortunately to lessons from the master himself.

Anyone heard his "Cleopatra"? Now if that isnt insperational i dont know what is!
  4. weenie

weenie Member

I've got two people. Ali Woodman who was principle percussionist with Sun Life for years was my first influence. He was a cracking player and great all rounder and a certain Mr. Roger Taylor of Queen. What a drummer. Has the knack of making his drumming sound huge with some great licks and fills, but always plays for the music!
  5. Although I'm still nowhere near as good as my inspiration, it was all members of the Rigid Containers group band (GUS) in the mid 90's but especailly the guys on percussion. Their talent and the power of the timps just felt amazing in my chest-got the adrenalin going- along with a full fortissimo from the others and I wanted to reach the audience in the same way.
  6. Heppy

Heppy Member

Phillip Lamb, 3rd cornet supremo of the Marsden (Riverheed) Band. He has a bit of everything.... only a bit though.
  7. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

For me it would have to be my 1st private teacher and conductor - Jack Bennett. He is what I would describe as a true bandsman and gentleman. His was my 1st band and one thing I remember about him was that he would never sing in the band room. Instead of teaching parrot fashion he would help players work parts out. This has always stuck with me and feel I'm a much better reader for it. He is one person I would bend over backwards to help out if he asked me - and he still does from time to time - although I left his band at least 15 years ago. Great bandsman and friend.
  8. Dewi Jones, musical director of the South Glamorgan Youth Brass Band in the late 70s / early 80s. As a teenager I played principal cornet in the junior band, and then back row in the youth band. I never took practicing as seriously as he would have liked, but I appreciated his style of pushing us to greater heights and polished performances.

He took the youth band from nowhere to the 2nd or 1st division?? (iirc); we went on a few international tours; and one year we won a national competition to play at the Junior Proms at the Royal Albert Hall (I don't know if it was the last night or not) - where we played a showy version of Mars and got a standing ovation! The whole experience was excellent, and worth much more to me than just the music.

PS. I'd be grateful if anyone can correct me on the above; I was just enjoying the ride at the time.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  9. the fish

the fish Member

Initialy Brian Hicks Solo Eb Bass player of Morris Motors & latterly Dean Morley.
  10. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Mr. Frank Wilson, who (as a band director of my high school wind ensemble) listened for 2 minutes to my dismal trombone playing and in the next minute, fixed three years of crappy sound production.

Sadly, he died of a heart attack three months later.

On euph? That one's easy. Dr. Earl Louder. What an amazing clinician, human being, and musician.
  11. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

George Formby, Maralyn Manson, Don Estelle
  12. David Mann

David Mann Member

Alf Daley, sop with Hollinwood SA band - when I was 3! I liked the sound of the band generally but Alf just provided that sheen on top. Couldn't wait to be old enough to join..
  13. BOB

BOB Member

This thread got me thinking back. Hope the comments don't bore any TMP'ers. I started playing in the late 70's in Gwent, South Wales. My inspirations in those days were the county brass teachers - Dai Davis (french horn), Alun Williams, Nigel Weeks and Colin Radford. Also my first brass band conductor - Stan Bartram at Cwmbran Youth. In terms of players - I was awestruck by the bass trombone sound and presence generated by Mike Tilley - where did he end up ?? As I am still at it - they must have been influencial
  14. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Bob Castle who has since sadly left us. He was the head of music at my school and although he loved all music, he especially liked brass (he was known to be a decent BBb Bass player).

He told me to move off a 'poncey baritone' (no offence any bari players) and get "your sen on a ruddy tuba". Fair point well made.

Started playing bass at school band, joined Gresley Band and been there ever since. Without Bob, wouldn't have happened.
  15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Probably the solo horn player first cause I was never very bothered till I went into the main band. And more recently my horn teacher and maybe my school one aswell... And obviously hearing bands like Black Dyke helped :p
  16. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

John Barry for me just love the sound of those trombones mm mm never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
  17. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I've been inspired by quite a few people, I reckon. First would have to have been my first teacher who I started lessons with two years ago. He was really encouraging and though he isn't a bander any more, his jazz playing was absolutely astounding. Fantastic player :tongue: . After that probably John Doyle, who tutors at Lancs Youth Band...(I'd never liked flugels before then!), which led to the Dyke obsession! So I'd say the biggest inspiration has to be Dyke...whenever I go to a concert I come out completely awestruck and usually talking gibberish and practise excessively for the next couple of weeks!
  18. kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer Member

Mr King, The conductor of my first proper band breage and district silver band. when i joined from hayle i cud not read music or play any thing. I thank them coz in 2003 i left to play in a top section band. 4th section bands are a huge asset to the community and world of banding:clap:
  19. bassbonebroughton

bassbonebroughton New Member

My grandfather, Reg Broughton, definitely is the first one who inspired me to work at it, and in fact he's the one who inspired me to start playing. Second would be my first euphonium teacher, Allan Hicks of Guelph Citadel Band. I started taking lessons with him and he just kept pushing me to get better and helped me realise that I could become a good player if I was willing to work at it.
  20. dickyg

dickyg Member

I was lucky to have three insprational cornet teachers in Marie Smith, George Thompson and David James. I also played for three inspirational conductors in James Scott, John Pryce-jones and Ray Farr. They all helped to shape me along with my childhood God - Maurice Murphy

I have been very lucky!