Who here pays too much Road Tax???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by davidwalton, Mar 21, 2008.

Do you pay too much Road Tax?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
  2. No

14 vote(s)
  1. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Do you pay too much Road Tax?
  2. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Don't we all??

It's a rip off.
  3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Not at all. In fact I think Road Tax should be at least quadrupled. It should also be levied on pedal cycles, skate boards, roller skates and pogo sticks. There should also be a Congestion Charge on all pedestrians on market days.

C'mon, David - be real :p
  4. RobBari

RobBari Member

Scrap road tax, put the levy on fuel; bigger cars, bigger engines, more journeys pay more. Registration is still necessary but not as revenue raising system.
  5. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Please note, I don't drive. However, you do know that there are some smaller vehicles that require no Vehicle tax because the emissions are so low?

Given that, it would not really be fair to start taxing Peds, Cyclists, etc when they have almost ZERO emissions.
  6. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I can't really complain about my road tax, it's only £35 for the year. I do agree with RobBari above though, would rather see a levy on fuel.
  7. The Wherryman

Sorry, David, you missed the clue. I play trombone, weird sense of humour and all that.

Initially, the "Road Tax" was imposed as a "Road Fund Licence" and the income so raised was put towards the upkeep of our highways. (this was back in the 1920/30's I think)

Over a period of time, successive governments realised they had a nice little earner going, and syphoned off bits here and there to fund other areas of expenditure (a bit like the Lottery Fund today!). The name was changed to "Vehicle Excise Licence" to try to erase from the memories of us oldies the original purpose of the charge.

As far as I am aware, the money raised these days just goes into the Treasury coffers and is just another tax.

The notion that the tax is somehow connected to emission levels is just another slice of governmental "spin", so that those with lower pollution engines can feel smug about doing good for the Planet (and get a patronising pat on the head from Government in the form of a lower tax rate).

You say you do not drive - for me, not driving is not an option. I live in a small village that has a bus service once an hour (on good days). Yes, I could move to a town or city, but if that is the only answer, our villages will die.

If we're talking about an emissions tax, watch out all you dairy farmers - you'll have to be fitting your cows with corks!
  8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

It certainly is. I got my renewal through a 2 weeks back and because I've moved they sent me another one which is £5 more. So now I've got to pay £120 for the year.
  9. The Wherryman

Hang about - I thought it was a National tax - how come moving has cost you £5 more?
  10. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I never try to pigeon hole people, including trombone players :)

I am glad you pointed out the history and passing of Road Tax in the 1930's, and that the tax is now on the vehicle instead - NOT the roads. This was the main reason of this thread.

I was told that everyone knew that there is no such thing as Road Tax now. VED is payable for motor vehicles, and in part, it is linked to emissions, but it is not Road Tax as is provided as an argument against other groups, like Cyclists, Horse riders, and even pedestrians from using the roads. The argument being that only car drivers pay for the upkeep of the roads, when in fact every tax payer does.

I don't think there has ever been a time when any tax could be related to a specific Government expenditure. All tax goes in to the same place and amounts dished out from there.

BTW- I also live in a village. Bus around every 40 minutes, but during daylight hours only.

Can't afford to run a car, so bought a cycle instead. One of those you lay down on, so not cheap to buy, but doesn't kill my back like a standard bike would.

However, even though I have only ridden around 300 miles in total, I have already had car drivers tell me I have no right to use the road because I don't pay 'Road Tax', I am breaking the law by not using useless cycle paths or lanes, and given very little space because I obviously have no business being on the roads.
  11. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I honestly don't know. I assume that the move has nothing to do with the increase but can't imagine why it's gone up.
  12. The Wherryman

I can't find my soapbox at the moment BUT I've found negotiating past the lie-on bikes a bit unnerving, because they are so low and disappear from view below the front nearside wing. I try to give them a wide berth (as I do for any overtake). Having grown up in your neck of the woods I know that some of the roads aren't that wide and the locals tend to rush everywhere, so having to slow down behind a bike really p***es them off.

Regarding so-called rights acquired through "Road Tax" payment - why shouldn't cyclists have to have insurance to pay for the damage they can do when they scrape along the side of a parked car or hit a pedestrian and why do dog owners have to clear up their dog's mess, but horse riders can leave horse poo anywhere they like and...oh, come on Geoff, get back in your pigeon hole :(
  13. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I pay just over £180 a year for cycle insurance (mostly to cover for theft as the Government keeps releasing all thieves back in to the community to carry on stealing). It is not a legal requirement mainly because the damage a cycle can inflict on others is far far less, and Government has not woken up to the fact that a cycle can travel over 40mph. My top speed to date is 42mph.

I am however covered for liability up to £10,000,000.00.

Any cyclist without insurance, and I think they are idiots, you can sue for any damages they do.

You can buy bum bags for horses so they don't have to poo on the streets. However, as the vast majority of current roads owe the horse and cart for their existence, a little degradable horse poo is not much of a cost. It also washes a way, unlike dog poo.

For info, recumbent cycles come in many shapes and sizes. The one I have means my head is around 1 foot lower than if I were on a standard road cycle. Not so low as to be able to hide in front of a car bonnet. See http://www.bikefix.co.uk/index.php?...8&get_bsm_id=2&bsm_code=pics&sl_pic_id=130#a7
  14. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Yes, they tend to take out their impatience on the cyclist. There are some very wide roads around here which I avoid because car drivers treat them like raceways. However, they treat all the roads, including the single track country lanes as raceways.

This is a County built for the car after all, and SOD all others.
  15. The Wherryman

Which is why I emigrated from Essex to Norfolk - and as soon as I can get the A11, A47 and A140 sealed off the better.
  16. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Yes, we should have moved further up. Used to live near Norwich when I was a kid. Only been here since Nov 2006, but won't be in a position to move for years though:(
  17. The Wherryman

Have you found a band yet?
  18. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

No. No Band in this area where a Tenor horn is required that I can fit in to. I did play in one Brass Band on Tenor Horn for a while, but I was wrong for that Band so left.

Took up French Horn due to lack of Brass Band life here, but found a French Horn to Cornet mouthpiece adapter just recently, so trying cornet as well using my French Horn mouthpiece. If that fails, then SOD them all. I am not going on to an instrument any bigger than Horn.

Biggest problem I have here is travel. No car = very few opportunities to play in any Band here, no matter how good you are or committed. Where as where I was it was never an issue.
  19. squirrel

squirrel Member

Because dog poo is hazardous to the health, and horse manure isn't, well I suppose if you were six foot deep in it, it would be, but dog faeces contain parasites that can cause serious health problems.
    Herbivore poo is generally not a problem, carnivore/omnivore poo is.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  20. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Scrap the road tax but put much higher taxes on the gas guzzling cars instead. Then, maybe people will buy smaller, more environmentally friendly vehicles.