Who heard the ISB at Hadleigh?

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Brian Bowen, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Did any tMPers hear the ISB at Hadleigh last weekend? I got the thoughts of my mother, who was present throughout, but wondered what the experts had to say on the playing.

(I expect PeterBale will be writing his report for 4barsrest.)
  2. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Heard them twice on the Sunday- the highlight for me was Phil Cobbs playing of 'Wondrous Day', phenomenal sound and technique!

Peter says hes got bit of a backlog of reports to write, but I expect itll appear soon!
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just emailed my reviews to Iwan so they should appear later in the week, although I should imagine the Regional Previews will take priority! It was a good weekend, and the band played well. Quite a few people found them very loud at times, but I did not feel the same, particularly having heard other bands where the sound has become distorted at high volume.

Saturday night's programme was almost exclusively new repertoire, as is their normal practice, and some people had found Saturday's a little heavy, but it was quite varied. I'd certainly endorse the comment about Philip Cobb on Sunday afternoon, and it was good to see lots of the cornet solos in other pieces being passed along the line. Horns and basses were impressive right over the weekend, as were the percussion, despite having little space to manoeuvre.
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Agree- sometimes balance was a problem- but its always going to be when playing in different circumstances each week. If I had to find a negative comment id say that it would have been nice to hear some real quiet playing- but again perhaps this was down to acoustics.
    First time ive heard 'On Ratcliff Highway' live; heard so much that i havent heard on CD! Good stuff!
  5. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

I heard the ISB on both Saturday and Sunday.

Enjoyed both programmes but my preference was for the repertoire used on Sunday (something of a retrospective view of SA music). The quality of the playing was high all weekend.

Sitting in 2 different places my perception of the volume was different on both occassions!

Phillip Cobb demonstrated real quality in his solo, and Kevin Ashman chose a very difficult solo which reflected his quality also.

I got the impression that a lot of work has been done on St Magnus which was evident in the quality of its performance; however, as a result of this, in some of the other pieces the ensemble seemed a little untidy occasionally (nit picking and a fact of life for a band with 1 rehearsal a week and such a busy programme!)

All in all an example of SA band playing at its best.
  6. Bariman

Bariman Member

Yes I was there as well - sat behind your mother on Sat eve.

I would have liked a couple of published works - just to balance out the programme and to help comparison.

There were one or two problems with a rasping bass, and also someone taking a huge gulp of air through their mouthpiece just as they were about to play. I don't know who it was but I'd probably put it down to inexperience.

All in all an interesting evening.
  7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yes, the 'rasping bass' was very much in evidence on the Sunday morning- particular when accompanying the worship choruses! Somewhat insensitive!
    (While on that subject- Sorry, but I don't think Brass Band accompaniment works for A LOT of these newer types of song! If so, then how about more dynamic contrast!? 3rd verse of 'In Christ Alone' for example, look at the words!!!!)
    I could still do with more warmth from the middle of the band, but this has obviously been addressed by adding another horn player.
  8. I agree there are modern worship songs which don't work for band. I quite like "Breathe" which the ISB do sometimes.I find the worship songs better to listen to when they're in a medley and not in their entirity like Len Ballentine's "Heart Beat". I think in bigger corps they might be prone to doing worship band style backing. If you ever want a laugh , try "we want to see jesus lifted high" from scripture based and with a bad band! :)