Who Has The most Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpieces?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bruce Chidester, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Bruce Chidester

Bruce Chidester New Member

This could be very interesting for all of us have collected many mouthpieces through the years, and it would be interesting to find out who has actually collected the most.

Your post should include a picture of your collection as well as the number; not that we don’t trust you but it would be interesting to actually see all of these “perfect mouthpiece” at the time they were purchased.

As a reward for your efforts in dusting off these old relics, trumpetensemblemusic.com will donate 5 free trumpet arrangements to the first place winner and 3 free arrangements of their choice for the second place winner.
    mouthpieces.jpg

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Oh dear...

I must say first that most of these were bought used (and that about 5 or 6 get used regularly).

32 cornet (a few of which currently for-sale on eBay)
    6 trumpet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. Bruce Chidester

Now that's a great start... do I hear 39?

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I've got three boxes full of trombone pieces. None of this high pitched rubbish...

5. Bruce Chidester

...can't change the title now.

6. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

I'm new to banding and brass instruments, so obviously I'm not going to have many mouthpieces. Just the one that came with my cornet and the new one I bought to replace it..... and the one I found tucked away in my cornet case. Then there's a couple I bought second hand because they looked interesting. Oh, and the one my trumpet player friend gave me because it doesn't fit her trumpet. I also keep one in the car for buzzing in case the traffic is at a standstill. Erm, I got two with the baritone I bought when I first started........... and that's it........... apart from that black thing on the book shelf that needs a really good clean, that's it.

I see the beginnings of a problem here, I've already got ten! :rolleyes:

7. Bruce Chidester

Each day a new mouthpiece comes out that will solve every problem and we being musicians, must have it.

8. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I'm well short of you guys, though recently bought a 3d printer and been experimenting with 3d printed mouthpieces.

Found a file online for a trumpet mouthpiece and scaled it down for a cornet, the taper is not quite right as it doesn't insert quite as far as a brass mouthpiece, but plays very well, added 3 notes to my reach in the upper registry, though those low notes are much harder to get clean with it.

9. Bruce Chidester

Very hip!
    What kind of a printer did you get and how much must be spent to share in the fun?

10. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

The printer was a cheap clone of a Prussia i3 from a company called CTC purchased on ebay for about £85. I have made a few changes to it since though adding a fan to keep the print cool to reduce warping and a sheet of glass to clamp to the bed.

The amount of filament used in a mouthpiece is a few pence.

The biggest cost in using it is time. A cornet mouthpiece in a good resolution takes me about 3 hours to print, it then needs to be cleaned up as I need to build it on a raft to ensure good adhesion to the glass. Most of the raft just snaps off, but leaves the edges a bit sharp.

Slider1 likes this.
  11. Bruce Chidester

Thanks for the info.

12. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

I thought that I was using the best mouthpiece for me until purchasing a new instrument. It came with a 3C which I got along with very well. Perhaps because it is wider than the 7 series. Have settled for now with an Alliance BVT Sop cornet mouthpiece which also plays well on my Bb Sovereign. Got away quite lightly cash wise as the only mistake made was buying a VB7E.

Would like to try a 2D and a 3D at some point in the future. Which I suspect may cause the experienced sop players amongst us to raise an eyebrow!

List:

VB7C cornet
    VB7C trumpet
    VB7E cornet
    Stomvi 3C cornet
    Alliance BVT Soprano with gold rim

The 3d printing of mouthpieces look very interesting so many thanks for the info. Looks like my christmas list will be headed with a 3D printer this year!

Queeg2000 likes this.
  13. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

The hardest part about 3d printing a cornet mouthpiece is finding the files. Loads of trumpet mouthpiece files around. I'm not up to creating my own yet but did scale down a 1/2 C trumpet mouthpiece to fit a cornet reasonably well.

Given it to a player who uses a plastic mouthpiece and awaiting feedback, but first impressions were positive.

14. Tom-King

Yep :p

Seriously though, if it works for you and you're making good progress then don't worry too much.
    You'll find smaller diameters much more popular than large ones amongst stronger players, but there's nothing inherently wrong with cutting your teeth on bigger ones and working your chops down to smaller stuff later in the journey.

15. Bruce Chidester

Who Has The most Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpieces Final Results-

As a reward for your efforts in dusting off these old relics, trumpetensemblemusic.com will donate 5 free trumpet arrangements to the first place winner and 3 free arrangements of their choice for the second place winner.

And here are our winners…….

#1 Tom King – 38 mouthpieces.

#2 Flat Eric- 10

The top two winners may make their selection from any of the arrangements listed at

Trumpet Ensemble Music

Send your selections to brucechidester@hotmail.com

Thanks for sharing,

Bruce Chidester

Flat Eric likes this.
  16. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

Hi Bruce, what a nice surprise to find I've won 3 free arrangements. Thank you very much for your generosity.

Email sent!

This must be a good enough excuse to go out and buy another mouthpiece! :D

17. Bruce Chidester

Check out my site and let me know which three you would like.
    You only have 1,006 to choose from!

18. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

I've re-sent the email Bruce, for some reason it got stuck in my out box, but it's sent now.

For those who may be interested I chose; Give me Jesus and The Old Rugged cross, because they are both easy pieces as I am only a beginner. My third choice was Czardas; I know this is a very difficult piece, but I used to play it on fiddle before arthritis stopped me playing stringed instruments. It will give me something to aim towards!

19. Tom-King

Cheers, will have to take a look :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice