Who has been to Paphos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunky, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Off on my hols shortly and we are going to Paphos, Cyprus.

Never been there before so could do with any tips on places to eat / drink / vist (or even to avoid).

Going self catering so will be looking for different places each night so any advice and an idea on what I might have to pay would be will be great.

Cheers

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Duck if Pete the Pelican flies over your head ;)

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

And if I don't?

4. sibeck

sibeck New Member

Hi

Was in Paphos in January its a lovely place, try the harbour for good food especially the Pelican Bar. The female pelican was pregnant when we were there so keep your eye out for all 3. Watch out for the timeshare touts they do get annoying and are very persistent

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It's been a few years since we went to Paphos, but the Harbour area is a decent place to start for good food. There are a number of resturants there all vying for trade so the prices are cheap(ish) and the food is good. The Pelican Bar mentioned in previous posts is a good shout - but the pelicans themselves stink!

There are also a couple of places out on "the strip" (which is the main road that runs along the back of the old town) - an American themed resurant which is OK if you like that sort of thing, and I remember having a terrific (and good value) meal in a place that was on the first floor above a block of shops. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but its on the coastal side of the raod, just outside of the main part of Paphos town.

As for days out - if you lke historical stuff then there's plenty there - catacombs, world heritage sites, trees with knickers hanging on them.... There's a monestry out the back of Paphos (about 20 minutes drive) which is worth visiting just for the views back over the bay. Its not as good as the really big monestry in the mountains (Kikkos??) but its a lot easier to find! There is also an old roman city on the coastal road to Limassol, just on the edge of the British Army base you drive through on that road. We discovered it totally by accident but spend a very interesting afternoon there. There is a huge ampitheatre (which I think they still use for concerts) and a really well preserved bath house. Its well worth a visit.

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

If you can, plan a day trip to Limassol on Friday morning and take the tour around the KIO brewery.... well worth it!! FREE BOOZE at the end of the tour.

Have been to Paphos a few times. BEWARE of the timeshare touts... we got stuck there for an afternoon because we won a prize on a scratch card that was practically forced into our hands!!!!

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I did two concerts there way back in 1986 when on tour with the National Youth Orchestra of Ireland. :)

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Nice. The veiws from the top row of seats was spectacular - right down the hillside to the sea, and juging from how clearly we could hear the people down in stage area from up there, the acoustic must be pretty good. Seems the Romans knew how to build a concert venue....(cue lots fo "What did the Romans do for us" quotes)

Oh I forgot about the timeshare touts. We got "had" too and spent the afternoon at a development just outside of Paphos. It was very nice, but hugely expensive when they (eventually) got to the bottom line price. Still, to their credit it was a genuine "no obligation" look around because as soon as I told them it was more than we were prepared to pay they let us go, no fuss, no arm twisting, with a bottle of half-decent wine for our trouble. We had a laugh on the way home recalling just how the whole presentation was set up just like a typical sales course, and also had a decent game of jargon bingo!

I'm not suggesting that timeshare-ers are the salt of the Earth - far from it. I'm hugely sceptical and wary of them and spent the whole presentation with the most cynical head on I could muster. But the horror stories of being locked in a room and forced to sign were simply not true in our case. They are a pain in the **** at the resort though.

Wouldn't normally have gone, but somehow got roped in on that occasion, and was pleasently suprised. And hey - it was free wine!! :)

9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Not long got back from Cyprus. The ruins just outside Episkopi Barracks on the coastal road are well worth a visit as is Larnaka. Found that Limmasol and Paphos were a bit too touristy for me, but it depends what your going for!! If you get chance go to ****ouri. Theres a beach there and if you go up the hill to the main village, the square has lodas of great restuarants. The one in the middle with a foliage roof is the best! Try the Meze, you'll love it!!!! Troodos Mountains are worth a look too as the views across Cyprus are stunning. If you go to Nicosia then keep an eye out for the Turkish flag thats been put on the side of the hill as you approach on the motorway, its quite impressive too!

10. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Right, the **** bit is Miss, but starting with a P!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    self catering
    places
    Paphos
    hols
    tips
  12. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I've been to Paphos once and loved it. Jeep safaris on the Akamas peninsula are very good value and will get you fabulous unspoilt scenery (and snakes!) and the mosaics at the harbour are stunning. Other than that the food and beer are brill, and the people are lovely. I love Greek food and the restaurants in Kato Paphos are very good, but if you're a steak fan the El Paso restaurant near Kissonerga does enormous steaks at excellent prices (well it did at New Year 2006) Have a great time. :D