Who gets picked on the most?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by horn__blower, Nov 5, 2004.

1. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

Something I've been wondering for a while - is there a certain section/seat in the band that seems to get picked on the most?
    It maybe paranoia, but some times i have thought that its the horns, cos we're right in front of the conductor. - wot do others think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Something
    section
    most
    front
    others
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

In my experience, both as conductor and player, I don't think it's anything to do with where you sit. As a conductor, I've had to train myself over the years NOT to pick on the cornets, being a trumpet/cornet player and I'm sure there are conductors out there who have 'picked on' (if that's the right phrase) the instrument/s that they play themselves. Sometimes, it can be a personality clash, however much one tries to avoid it (I think I've now succeeded in negotiating that particular obstacle, but it can be difficult....) Indeed, if you feel a player or certain players are holding the band back because they're, shall we say, less experienced, THAT can be a factor in conductors perhaps 'picking on' players. Conducting is as much people skills as anything else, no matter how good a musician you are.

p.s. my 4,000th post. Huzzah!

4. Heather

Heather Member

Baritones, without question!
    I am not just saying this because thats what I play either.
    We get blamed for, apart from our own mistakes, everybody elses too.
    The other thing is that we never get praised. We can be playing the same as horns or trombones but its always the trombones and horns that get mentioned at rehearsals...never us!

5. Ali

Ali Member

I've always found that it depends on what instrument the MD used to/or still does play on. I also reckon that the old school MD's dont really like percussion and so usually choose pieces of music that does'nt involve the crash, band, wollop lot! No offence to the percussionists around, as with out you lot music would be so boring. Our MD can be a git with the tuba section, but I understand because he was a top tuba player himself. My old MD could be a git with the cornets, but thats because he was a former cornet champion of Great Britian.

6. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

it has to be the 1st horn player of my band. hes a good lad and he takes a lot of stick from me, the conductor and the 2nd horn.
    The little one will learn from this!!
    Sorry Andy, we love you really

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The key to it is, (and I dare not say I'm totally successful in this!), particularly at lower section level, (it may well apply to top section level, I don't know, I've never conducted a top section band) praising people without patronising them when things go well and offering constructive, unbiased criticism and sensible, coherent suggestions to correct matters when things don't quite go according to plan. 'tis a difficult factor in conducting a band or any musical ensemble, believe me! Conductors and players alike, we're all human and we all make mistakes.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  8. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

i dont think picked on is the word to be honest isnt the MD's job to tell you if your playing something he doesnt like?! i just sit and listen and try and improve!

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have found the seat that usually gets picked on the most is the one I sit in ;) 2nd horn or 2nd baritone.

Actually, our old band director was a euphonium professor so he used to always pick on the second baritones.

Famous quote "more 2nd baritone!"

(I have never really got picked on to much as a bass player - although my MD did make fun of my home state last rehearsal ;))

10. the fish

the fish Member

Back row in our band.

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's very difficult if you're a section leader not to continue to listen to your partners in the same way you do when you're sitting with them, which makes it difficult not to 'pick on' them.

However, I think the solo cornet, 1st euph and all trombones are fair game with the persecution as secondary targets providing they haven't got any throwing irons (triangles, timp sticks 3rd cornet players etc) to hand :)

Seriously, (what do you mean you thought I was being serious! :shock: ) You have to change the way you listen to what's going on. I actually find it quite tricky to pay enough attention to the back row cornets and trombones. Front row, euphs/baris and horns tend to be easily spotted, so don't tend to do things that I don't like. In our band, troms and back row often need encouragement and I sometimes wonder if I neglect them a bit.

Of course, I wouldn't dare pick on Judith. I value my health :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Something
    section
    most
    front
    others
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What may be perceived as someone getting picked on (especially by a conductor who specializes in that instrument) may be, in fact, the opposite. It may be that the conductor is taking time out to try and improve the individual's playing. Not every bandmaster has time for individual tuition and may use band time for fast-tracking someone. The danger in this form of coaching is if the player and band are unaware of the MD's intentions. It does happen!! :-?

14. peatair

peatair Member

Really I wish this thread had been entitled "Who SHOULD be picked on the most." In my view it is those who simply do not bother to practice their parts.

15. paulspud

paulspud Member

However, you DO like a little dig at the percussion section from time to time, don't you , Mike?

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Moi!?:shock:

You do me an injustice sir!;)

17. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I used to get singled out loads (1st Bari) but i'm not singled out anymore I think it's the 1st and 2nd Horn players turn now LOL

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Most certainly backrow, possibly horns or basses at times.

19. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

just cos my horn's better ;)

20. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Every section gets picked on apart from the Euphs and horns hehehe! :p :cool: aaaahhh it's great been a horn :rolleyes: lol