Who exactly were Tommy Cooper Brass on Whit Friday?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mephi, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mephi

Mephi Member

As is says on the thread, who were they? Would like to clarify before putting to print! Thanks

2. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

If you're talking about the fellas wearing red fez hats, then one of my friends from Arklow band in Ireland was part of this group. I'll PM you his e-mail and you can ask him about it.

I think it was a dozen players from Arklow band and a few from other places (he asked me to do it, but I couldn't).

They played "the Sheik of Araby" on the march I believe and he said they would probably be playing Slaidburn or Punchinello in the pit.

3. T Winch

T Winch Member

I had the honour of being part of the said ensemble. As Tam O Shanter said they were mainly members of the Arklow Silver Band. I answered a request on here for players and was roped in at the last minute. I was a bit apprehensive never having met any of them before but I had a great night despite the torrential rain and made a whole load of new friends. The playing did leave a bit to be desired. The guy on triangle had never played in a band before but that didn't stop him conducting us at one of the venues! We actually won a prize for the most entertaining band at one village. The prize money was used to fly me over to Ireland to play for Arklow in the South of Ireland Championships (which we won!) A cracking night with an excellent bunch of people! :D

4. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

The fella I know in Arklow is Danny the one eyed Bb Bass Player. I played with him in Fulham Band for years.

5. T Winch

T Winch Member

Danny. The one with Arklow Silver Band tattooed on his arm. What a top bloke! I didn't know he played for Fulham. I may have met him before without realising it. I think it was early 90s. I was walking through Hammersmith Interchange when I came across Fulham band playing Christmas carols. They clocked the tenor horn I was carrying and got me to join in. I wonder if Danny was there then.

6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I joined Fulham in 2000 and he had been there for a year or two then, so he wouldn't have been there in early 90s. He is a nice fella isn't he? Shame he's such a rubbish bass player :D

BTW - I went to a Peterlee Band rehearsal about 10 years ago. Sat on the front row. My uncle (Norman Brant) sometimes plays 3rd cornet at concerts with the band I think. He used to be more active with them but did less as they moved up the sections. Anyway I remember going to a rehearsal and having a pint afterwards. Some of the players in the band had played with me in Hartlepool years before.

7. T Winch

T Winch Member

Small world! Yes I know Norman. He's still there as far as I know.