Who does your Website?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetsquint, Nov 5, 2006.

1. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

There was discussion in our band yesterday about a band website. We do not currently have one and it was sugessted that we really do need one quite soon. I suggested to our secretary that I would not mind doing the site as I am currently doing a course in web design, but the secretary turned round and said "Well joe bloggs has a friend of a friend of a friend who could do it."
    so who does your website? is it a band member of an "outsider" and if an "outsider" does it how easy is it to communivcate and get the site updated?

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Me!! hehehe...

Seriously, if you need your web site hosted somewhere, you know tMP offers web hosting services yeah? We have many bands web sites hosted using our services. Shout if you need more info.

3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

In all honesty, I think that this was a very rude attitude to take. You were offering your services and your kind offer was immediately dismissed in a very abrupt way. Perhaps if they do approach you to ask you to do the site you should reconsider?
    In answer to your real question, my band is a part of the Youth Music Service, so as far as I am aware it is maintained by someone in the local authority. Also, the one site covers all the youth bands and orchestras in the borough, with little information being given about each.

4. stopher

stopher Member

I used to do Menai Bridge band's website for 5 years until this summer when our Solo Horn decided he had had enough of being bored after his GCSEs and revamped it. Jammy little git one Website of the Month for September

As Flutey said, bit cheeky of your band saying that to you - I know of a band who hired people to do it and their website hasn't been updated since! Looks great with the news from 2003 on!

P.S.

Well done Tom for winning - not envious at all!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  5. I do ours www.rushdentownband.org and update it at least once a week. It might not be as trendy as some, but at least it is always up to date! It really annoys me to go on any website to find that the "next event" was 3 months ago! Personally, I think it better if a playing member of the band does it because they should always know the latest news etc and that is more important than anything else.

6. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

My personal view is that your secretary was very rude to dismiss your offer in such a manner,
    I do our web site and have had no training in web design at all (as can be seen by the site itself) www.dentonbrass.co.uk if you employ an outside agency to design and build your web site, then you will have to have someone who keeps passing information to the outsider and most importantly if you want it updating regularly, then you will have to keep paying.
    if I had someone within the band that had done web design and were prepared to take the job on then I would snatch their hand off and gladly retire my services , we would probably have a more professional looking site as well.

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I agree. Although you may want to employ an outsider to do the basic design and layout the real issue is in keeping it up to date. You really need someone within the band, not necessarily a member, maybe a spouse, partner or close relative who is willing to devote the time required to update the site regularly.

8. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I do West Mercia Police Band's Website and I used to (years Ago do Tewkesbury Bands)

IMHO I think it is better to have someone inside the band doing it as they see and hear everything going on with the band. As site building is far easier than it used to be and with cheap domain names and web hosting facilities more readily available it is alot easier for the novice to get going with the building of the site.

It is also important to keep the site as up to date as possible. With an outsider running the site this process can be prolonged as you are relying on the third party to update it in his or her own time. and it could also be quite costly having someoneelse doing it, unless they are doing it as a favour

9. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

I don't care who does it. Just sure it has:

1. A link to a map for the bandroom (multimap, etc);
    2. The nights and times you have practices (how basic is that);
    3. A telephone number of the Chairman, Secretary, Band Manager or MD (depending upon the particular hierarchy of your band);
    4. A current "replied to" email address for contact.

I've been working away from home and have been trying to contact local bands for as sit in from time-to-time and and have been frustrated by the lack of such basic information.

So there!

10. 1st Position

1st Position Member

I do our Band website, setting it up from scratch with zero experience of websites. Quite fun to learn as you along. I think it needs to be someone closely involved with the band, so that all the relevant information gets onto your site. Our site has now become the Band archive, so it really is a site for now and the future. Good luck, it is time consuming, but if you want to do it, then go for it - there is some kind of perverse pleasure in doing all the work, and then seeing the site live.:)

www.eymsbrassband.co.uk

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    website
    band
    Well joe bloggs
    secretary
    site
  12. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I look after my two bands websites, and quite intentionally do not include telephone numbers or addresses. It is bad enough deleting the hundreds of spam messages that get sent to the "replied to address" every day, without having to respond to spurious telephone calls as well.

But I like the idea of a link to a map of the bandroom/rehearsal room, so thanks Jackocorn, I'll do it now....

Alanl58

13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Bingo...we had an outsider help set up the initial site, but I am by all means the webmaster at the moment :s

Now that we are using an FTP program instead of frontpage to upload website info...duties will be split where one band member will keep engagements/ past performances up-to-date andI will update bigger issues.

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

15. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Well my band have recently asked me to re-design their website for them www.dunchurchband.org - didn't mind as I now work in I.T

Nothing too flash but try to keep it up-to-date.

16. davidsait

davidsait Member

I do my quintet website myself; hand-coded html, css and php. I'm not great at design, but it seems to do the job. Wouldn't touch Frontpage with a bargepole!
    Hosting is from www.2mhosts.com

17. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

I do the Ratby Mid Band site... okay it hasn't been updated because I had 5 deaths in the family all in a couple of months.. but it WILL be updated very soon... anyway, in short. I'm a band member and I do the website. (though not the http://www.ratbyband.com/ one)

18. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Ok, so I use Frontpage (badly) for one site, but a pre-determined format for the Better Hosts site.

Neither software is easy to use or user friendly, so what do you use?

Alanl58

19. MartinBen

MartinBen Member

Frontpage for the design as we use it at work but Firezilla to upload to the website.

20. madsaz

madsaz Member

I ended up doing our because the band wanted one but neither wished to pay for formal design or do it themselves.

First attemtp with frontpage was passable. I needed to do an overhaul for this year and had little time so used publisher and frankly it is rubbish - I'll never touch it again - but trying to find the time to run it & do a new one is a struggle. Several members of our band work in IT.

Take it on by all means, but doing the job justice can be a challenge - be sure you have the time to offer - then go for it. Its fun & much easier than having to pass info along all the time.

21. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

MS FP isn't so bad - after all, you can use it only as a text/HTML editor if you want to, you don't have to use the extensions or other inbuilt MS rubbish code. It is when people perhaps use the supplied MSFP templates for their site does it thenbecome instantly recognisable as "another front page load of rubbish" :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    website
    band
    Well joe bloggs
    secretary
    site