who do you think has the best top cornet and bumper up in the business?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sopboy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. sopboy

sopboy New Member

Lets get this started!!!!

Over the last 20 years I think two of the best combinations around have been:

A Philip Mccann/David King - John Foster Black Dyke Mills
    B BrianTaylor/Philip Chalk - Williams Fairey

What about now?????
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Wilky n Pooley- Fodens
  3. Blonde_Mudd

Blonde_Mudd New Member

sopboy, i agree that Brian Taylor / Philip Chalk were good, i've played next to Brian a many times now and he's a fantastic guy and player.

I would have to say that i reckon its got to be Richard Marshall and Morvern Gilchrist. (Had to have a girl in there somewhere!)
  4. sop 1

sop 1 Member

ian williams/chris turner! class!
  5. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Richard Marshall and Morvern Gilchrist.

Ben Rapp and Alan Hobbins will be a tight partnership too.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

John Berryman/David Read, but I'm very biased ;)

For my money, I find that many of today's players seem to be so good that they are interchangeable. I don't feel as if any of today's top players are as individual as some players were then. Listen to older Dyke recordings and Phillip McCann is unmistakable. Many players today are fantastic, but it's all a bit identikit for my liking.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  7. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

I stand to be corrected, but I don’t remember David King being bumper up to McCann, he was 4th man down.
    The front row as I remember was P McCann, D Blackledge, C Bacon and D King on 4th man. Michael Allen was repiano cornet and Kevin Crockford was soprano cornet. I taught them all except McCann, so if I’m wrong senility must have set in and I need a new brain.

Dafydd ap Iago
  8. ian williams and chris turner for sure! a world class combination!
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Raf Van looveren and Kris Binon have been playing together at Willebroek for quite a few years now, and they make an excellent duo :tup
  10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Back in the 70's Graham Walker and Fred Muscroft took some beating!
  11. markyboy

markyboy Member

David King did play 2nd man to Mr Mcann . There was a photo of Black Dyke in The British Bandman a few years ago (when they paid tribute to Fred Ellis who had just died) showing him sat there . Fred gave up his seat to let the young Aussie ' wonder boy ' join Dyke on 2nd cornet and he worked his way up to bumper up .

Christopher Bacon also played 2nd man at Black Dyke at a very young age . Whatever happened to him ?
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I was just flicking through to see if anyone had mentioned this formidable team, and there you were Steve - right on the ball.
    "Awesome" is the only word to describe the total mastery of cornet co-operation that these two great players achieved.
    The technical and tonal perfection of Graham combined with Freds wizardry acquired during his long spell as Principal Cornet of the Scots Guards made a very strong lead duo at the famous Imps Band in the "Walmsley Days" when they were consistently winning the major competitions.
    - Wilkie
  13. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

May I suggest that was a one off in a tribute to Fred Ellis.
    Chris Bacon is a freelance trumpet player, and teaches around Wakefield.

14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

In no way decrying what these gents did, the OP ask now, rather than ever;)
  15. chizzum

chizzum Member

Ian Porthouse/Lee Rigg
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Although not in the top celebrity echelons of banding, it would be hard to beat the intimacy and rapport between the top two at Kippax - Nigel and Nicola Darbyshire have been married for quite a few years now - intimacy both in and out of the bandroom !
    - Wilkie
  17. Timpking

Timpking Member

Keith Hutchinson/David Daws. Both class acts in Enfield in the 90's :clap:
  18. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

....but not at the same time.
    Keith Hutchinson and Richard Martin.
  19. Timpking

Timpking Member

Pretty sure they did. I have the "victors aclaimed" cd and they are both on that. KH as top man and DD as 2nd man down. It was in the days when Jimmy Williams didn't use ISB members as principal players.
    Also saw them play several times and both of them played solos. Awesome!
  20. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

I am wrong, and stand corrected. Senility has set in, must visit the doctor, and optician for more glasses.