who do you admire as a musician ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all

i am sure that we all know of someone in our banding lives whom we have great respect for. someone who we would gladly go to for advice and who's stories we will listen to with interest, even though they have probably been told many times already ! they usually have been there, seen it, done it (often more than once) but shy away from public praise.

so, as a way of a thankyou to them, jot their names down here.

my thanks go to Fred Muscroft from Driffield Silver Band, and also to Fred Bullock, now retired from Hilgay Silver Band.

Chris

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'd like to thank the Brian and Ian from Ashington Band for giving me my nice tone and the incentive to be a good player.

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think there are two who "looked after" me in my early playing years - a flugel player by the name of Alan Kent - who was the condutor of the Foresters youth band I played in for a while, and really turned me on to flugel. He plays/ed everything with such style I'd like to think that some of that has rubbed off on me.

And Ian Dickman who taught me for a while - at the time he would've only been about 20 himself - but he taught me a lot about how to approach things mentally (maybe more than he realises) and his family taught me "banding values" which I still apply now.

Thanks to both:clap:

4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Brian 'Razz' Mather (ex Besses o'th Barn) & Dave Lever (ex Brighouse amongst others) - both cornet players.

Both had the pleasure (ahem!!) of teaching me & were wonderful!! Had a few fantastic tours with Bury Music Centre with them both. Those were the days.

Thanks very nuch (even though my embouchure isn't the best!!!)

(Never been taught by a horn player - so sad!!)

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I have three - the first is my father, who inundated me with music from an early age but didn't push me to perform until and unless I was ready. The second is Campbell Robinson, who was the bandmaster of the National Capital Band here in Washington for 23 years, and who was my first teacher. The third is Raymond Danner, who was the director of my secondary school wind ensemble, who taught me that there was more to the world of music than just brass bands.

6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

The person I am thankful the most to is Douggie Hodge, he used to conduct Paddock Youth Band in Huddersfield. We rehe***** twice a week in a Youth Club.

Douggie used to literally drag kids off the street and get them to play in the band, every week he would visit some of the band members and give them lessons, free of charge. He did that for me and my brother (my bro' used to play bass trom for Grimethorpe), my parents would have never been able to afford private lessons.

He taught me how to play and also told me some gems that I have never forgotten.

Practice, because standing behind you is someone younger and someone who is potentially better than you.

Never let your banding friends down. If you say you'll be there, then be there.

Playing in Paddock band are some of the happiest times I've had in banding. We travelled to Norway which led to me loving the place and living there when I grew up. He used to take some of the young ones in the band to Black Dyke concerts, which was just fantastic.

Douggie is in Brittany in France now and is teaching and playing still. He is an awesome man. If anyone has a contact for Douggie could you PM me as I have lost his address.

Philip McCann and James Shepherd were also instrumental in guiding me and giving fantastic advice which I always use.

I was very lucky that I had all these people to turn to. I'll be eternally grateful.

AK

7. Heppy

Heppy Member

Mine has to be a little known cornet player by the name of David Horan. Whenever i'm having a bad night at band (which is quite often!), I just look across and listen to him, that spurs me on in a big way! Whenever I hear david, it cheers me up and makes me feel a million dollars again.

Cheers Dave, your amazing!

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

It has to be the late Stan McDonald. He was the first bandmaster I played under. He gave me free lessons. It's thanks to him that I still enjoy banding today.

9. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I know many, many people in the North of England who had, and still have, the greatest of respect for Stan. A first class band trainer with a great sense of humour.

10. Young Virtuoso

Young Virtuoso New Member

My thanks go to a few people. First of all Hugh Johnstone, a life long member of Dalmellington Band and also supreme youth tutor for our junior band. My garndfather James Mc Phail, life long member of the band and former treasurer. And finally my dad Bert Ritchie, life long member and current president!

Thanks for the opportunity to show these feelings!:)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fred Muscroft
    Driffield Silver Band
    Hilgay Silver Band
    Fred Bullock
    banding lives
  12. deave

deave Member

phillip mccann and martin winter !

13. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

First i'd have to thank Alf Mead, chairman of the first band I joined, who realised I had a 'natural talent' and leant me his own trumpet to practice with until the band had a spare instrument (it was a newly started band and had about 10 knackard cornets!)
    I could also thank Roger Webster, who I had lessons with at Barnsley College, and consequently put me off playing... I stopped for about 8 years, but that time out gave me a perspective of banding from the outside, if I would have continued to play I would have probably been stuck in a rut.
    Lastly I'd have to thank Kevin Crockford, who's advice and teaching has made me a better player, and given me inspiration to keep at it.

Cheers guys.

14. Robert Nelson, taught me pretty much everything I know. Probably one of the kindest and most patient men i know and he's taught me a lot.

15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Paul Weston who gave up a professional football career at Brighton & Hove Albion (through injury) to become a brass teacher in the London Borough of Newham. Although he never actually taught me, he would always spare some time to give me some extra hints and tips. I'm sure that there are 100's of players in the South East who would never have become such great players without his tuition and calm approach to all things.

16. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Eric Landon for making me play the cornet, and Kevin Crockford more recently for inspiring me to play it better :D

17. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

There are a couple of people who are responsible for me being the person that I am today. The first is my brass teacher Bernard Northwood who was the one all those years ago to give me a chance at having a blow on a cornet in Junior 2 (as it was then). We had a ball with him! He used to live in a turret house that had its own moat, and I remember going there once with my mate Susan to have tea. He’d got tickets for us to see the Halle and I’m ashamed to say we giggled all the way from school to going home again at the end of the night. Well we WERE only 11...... :oops:

The second person I want to mention is Eric Craven, my music teacher at high school. He is responsible not only for my musical development but a lot of my personal development too. He is the one who taught me to ask the question “why?”, and it is down to him that I am largely the person I am today. I haven’t seen him since I left school, but I did speak to him on the phone once and I would like to say a huge big enormous public THANK YOU SIR!!!!!

And no Sir, I didn't wear long white socks when I got married :redface:

18. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

My Dad,

In total my dad has played for fifty years in Cwmaman Band and only Cwmaman Band.

He's retired now but in his day he was an excellent Euph, Eb or Bb Flat bass player. He didn't allow Cwmaman Band to fold in the late 1970's but stayed around and with six others set up a junior band. Four years later Cwmaman were completing back in the Fourth Section. By early 1990's we were back in the Top section with the majority of a the junior band still intact.

Playing wise- it has to be the late Mr Cynan Jones a gentleman indeed- he inspired all the young people in Cwmaman Band during the late 1980's and made me the player I am and enabled Cwmaman Band to grow to one day play at the highest level. I for one didn't think I'd get to play at the Open or National Championships at RAH.

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Nick Childs.

I used to travel upto Sandbach for a 40 min lesson from Walsall (West Midlands) once a month on a Thurdsay, was given a lot of advice, and the trip which was 1 hour each way was more than well worth it.
    Nick would turn up to Fodens before Fodens band practise to give me some tution.
    Will always remember it well, simple advice which as made me a far better player than i would have been today:clap:

David Hutchinson our current conductor he as got the patience of a Saint with us all in the band and helps us all to get things right in the end:clap:

20. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I was really inspired by my very first cornet teacher Roger Meaden I can remember thinking "wow he's so brill I want to play like that". He was fab. Cheers Rog! :clap:
    Also whilst at uni I had the fortune to have lessons on the trumpet from Dave Chapman who made me blow the thing nearly straight and really helped me with my higher register. My register improved so well that Bryan Warrington who conducted my band a while back thought 'ooh she can play 'igh notes stick er on't sop'. Cheers to Dave and Bryan!
    You guys have created a monster!! :woo

21. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

You have beat me to it! It was Hugh Johnstone that made my time at Dalmellington possible. Dalmellington is not an easy place to get to by public transport, and Hugh came to the rescue every time, taking me the 15 miles or so back to Cumnock twice a week. If it wasnt for Mr Johnston, I very much doubt I would be in brass bands today. Never have I met such a dedicated person. :D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fred Muscroft
    Driffield Silver Band
    Hilgay Silver Band
    Fred Bullock
    banding lives