Who can really work the audience...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I know some conductors do announcements, some have other comperes...who are the best at it?

At the end of the day we are out to entertain and connect with audiences, and if you have that someone special, it always helps.

My favourites are...

Frank Renton (he always is masterful at BiC and US Open)
    Alan Morrison & Michael Fowles

others?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Frank Renton
    BiC
    Alan Morrison
    US Open
    Michael Fowles
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Richard Evans can always be relied upon to come up with some good stories, and puts them over well, even if you've heard them before ;)

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Being a conductor myself, I can testify that it is quite a skill to turn round to the audience and amuse/entertain/enthrall/inform them. I was quite shaky the first time I did it, but it's something you get used to and eventually start to enjoy.

My own personal favourite is Mr David Stowell. I was depping with Grimethorpe a few months back and David came in as a guest conductor at very short notice. Not only did he lead the band with such precision but he was able to turn round to audience and speak to them at such a personal level. He not only informed them about the music, but the history of the band, the soloists and even the venue! Not only that, but his ability to do all this in a light-hearted way made the concert a joy for audience and band alike.

5. Timpking

Timpking Member

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

No one comes close to Richard Evans as a conductor who announces. Compere's have an easier job of it, as that's all that's on their mind. Mike Fowles is good too, Renton obviously. Some of the best conductors I've worked for were also the dullest announcers!

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

An interesting question - of course, most of the responses will talk about the big names because they will have seen them in action - however, if you for example live in Aberdeen & don't play for Lands End brass band, you won't know how good or bad their conductor is!
    So, for those who have never heard him, Steve McIntyre of Uckfield Concert Brass is very good with an audience.

9. xRinat

xRinat Member

Richard Evans, Peter Roberts :)

10. xRinat

xRinat Member

Oh and ofcourse Allen Vizzutti

11. Les Beevers is a cracking compere and conductor

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Frank Renton
    BiC
    Alan Morrison
    US Open
    Michael Fowles
  13. Horco

Horco Member

Dave Hayward is a cracking compere.

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Yup, with a dry wit and extremely funny jokes (particularly golf-related)!

15. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I thought I'd wait to see if anyone else mentioned Bram Tovey before me, as a member of his fan club. On a par with Richard Evans I'd think but very different. In my experiences with him in front of a band we were as rapt as the audience.

16. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Jim Wright! Had the audience in the palm of his hand and hanging on his every word!

17. leisa

leisa Active Member

Richard Evans, Les Beevers or David King

18. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

David King?
    He wouldn't be in my top 100, and I must have heard him 200 times!!

19. Beesa

Beesa Member

An interesting enough thread, but "the audience" is a very, very subjective statement.

Looks to me like there could be a 'ringer'... or in forum parlance a 'sock-puppet' looking to do a bit of promotion here. ;-)