Who are the oldest Band still going?

Discussion in 'Brass Band Genealogies' started by robcornet, Jan 16, 2008.

1. robcornet

robcornet Member

We were talking after rehearsal on Friday about the ages of bands. For instance I play for The Driffield Silver Band and the earliest record for the band is in 1837 when the band played at the coronation of Queen Victoria which makes them at least 150 years old.

How old is your band and can you beat 150 years of history?

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Dyke, Stalybridge, Besses.... ;)

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The Kippax Band has accredited records to prove it was established as a musical ensemble under its current title in 1814.
    No - I was not a founder member !!
    - Wilkie

4. 1alexm

1alexm Member

From the Clifton and Lightcliffe band website:
    It is thought that C & L was formed in 1838 when most of the inhabitants of the villages around were employed in either agriculture or coal mining, the formation of the band was a way to escape from the hard work and poor conditions at that time.

So I think my band has a long history.

5. jonmoss

jonmoss New Member

I play for the Royal Buckley Town Band in North Wales.

The band started out as a Brass & Reed Ensemble and members were, because of their musical ability, very respected in the neighbourhood. Of course, many could not read or write, and it is therefore not surprising that early records were not kept. The evidence points to the fact that the first signs of the emergence of a Band, as such, was in the early 1820's. Although in a local Historians book 'Out of this Clay' the author states that the Buckley Band was formed in 1820 he later agreed that it was probably nearer 1822 before the group of musicians were regarded as a Band. This does in fact tie in with a (Buckley) Jubilee publication of 1902 where it states that the Buckley Royal Town Band was 'set on foot' 80 years ago.

If you are interested you can find more on my website rbtb.jvmuk.com/history.

6. robcornet

robcornet Member

Sorry that should be 171 years for Driffield Silver Band. My maths aren't what they were!:oops:

7. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Oldest band or oldest brass band? Mossley are the oldest brass band having been the first recipients of the then new saxhorns which they played to win the very 1st British Open in 1853!

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

According to written records, Kippax, although founded as a band in 1814, became all brass in 1834.
    There were many brass instruments in existence before Mr Sax developed his revolutionary new designs.
    - Wilkie (I really must get out more !)

9. johnsop

johnsop Member

Although Stalybridge and Besses claim to be the oldest bands, Besses started in 1818 and Stalybridge started 1812(?) as a wind and brass band. New Mills band (a non-contesting band in High Peak) started as a brass band in 1813, which means that they are the oldest band.

At least I think that's all true, you'd have to check with relevant bods to check!!

10. trumpetmaest

trumpetmaest Member

I have been told that Micklethwaite Maggot workers had a band in 1803 :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Driffield Silver Band
    Victoria
    Driffield Silver Band
    oldest Band
    Friday
  12. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Ahh Micklethwaite maggotworkers formed I believe from origanal members of old Kip****onians grubworm methodist temperance silver polish imperial carpet works band (formed 1066) conducted by the famous one eyed black dyke filler Harold Hastings. Those were the days.

13. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Woodbridge Excelsior Band (Suffolk) was founded in 1846. We weren't entirely a brass band at that stage but were definitely a Temperance Band. As far as can be established we had abandoned non-brass instrumentation by the late 1880s. As I write this I have the committee minutes for Weds July 20th 1886 open in front of me, I dare not handle the book too much for fear that it falls apart.

So, we are at least 122 years old and very possibly 161, but of course documentation in those times was unreliable.

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Gresley Colliery have been going 150 years:clap:

15. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Just a quick one to point out that Kippis is the local pronunciation of Kippax. No rudeness was intended.

16. peatair

peatair Member

Oldest

There has always been argument as to whether Stalybridge Old or New Mills are the oldest band. New Mills definitely date from 1812.

17. trumpetmaest

trumpetmaest Member

They later split up and many players joined Dubious & Dubious Silver Band and the Finius P Cocklewinkle Chutney Band. http://fpcchutneyworksband.tripod.com
    :)

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Do we know what instruments were used? I was under the impression that valves were not applied to brass instruments until 1814, and that it took a while for them to travel from the far corner of Germany where they were invented to England. Perhaps keyed bugles? Maybe serpents or ophicleides?

19. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

heard on the radio only the other day that Stalybridge old started in 1809 and are celebrating their 200th anniversary next year

20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think that some of the oldest dates must be taken "under advisement" (to put it delicately). There are about a hundred cricket clubs all claiming to have been founded "earlier than everybody else" (usually in a particular location), but there are large periods where no records are held and it is impossible to prove one way or the other whether a properly formulated organisation was extant.

21. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's a bit like University College, Oxford, having celebrated their millennium in 1874 on the back of an unlikely reference to King Alfred the Great. By more cautious reckonings, they've got another 241 years to wait...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Driffield Silver Band
    Victoria
    Driffield Silver Band
    oldest Band
    Friday